Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
... Now we do not really have a spare (the spare will be used by our youngest ho is in high school if he ever gets round to getting his license). I would kind of like to get another spare, but I am thinking I might get a Volt to drive to work and let my truck be the spare....
Just a little tip for you: Check with your insurance agent about this, but when I had a 16-year-old son, my agent suggested that I get a junker for my son, registered to him. He said he could continue driving our cars without "our" insurance going up, but only if my son owned a car in his name. Otherwise, the insurance would be going up on all of our cars. I owned a lot of expensive cars at that time, so maybe his suggestion wouldn't work for you, but then again, maybe it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I blame my father for this, he currently has 10 cars I think. He was always buying and selling cars when I was growing up, keep them for a few years then move on, but some of them he wouldn't get rid of, so his collection kept growing.

My own buying habits of cars tends to follow his, just with a lower budget and less room to store them. Every now and then I see a good deal for a new car... but I'm not quite ready to get rid of any of the cars I have.

Personally I think 6 is my magic number, that gives me a sports car, a convertible, a luxury car, an SUV, a truck/van, and the wife's car/SUV.

At this point I pay for insurance for our 4 cars individually, but my father has a blanket policy that covers all his vehicles. I don't know how much he pays, but I know it is cheaper than insuring all the cars individually by quite a bit.

I feel for you. I too had a father to blame for my car-owning habits. Dad had a dealer's license, just for his hobby. (HE would've never admitted it was a hobby, however!) He had cars that were like new when he parked them to start driving something else, that just sat and sat until they were worthless. If he couldn't sell a car for what he thought it was worth, he kept it.

The best example was a '58 Chevy that he drove for a year, then bought (no trade) a '59. He said he'd keep it as a spare before he'd take the trade-in offer. Once a year he'd start it up. He didn't have a garage at that time, and no lawn shed, so he'd throw something into the '58 just to store it. As the years by it became his shed. LOL And finally it went to the bone yard -- 30K miles on it, but it was too old and rotted away to be of value.

In my late 30s-late 40s, I just seemed to accumulate cars. At one time we had 7 cars, an airplane and a boat. It took all my time keeping then clean and ready, so I didn't use any of 'em that much! My wife and I are now down to 2 cars, a '15 Prius for me (as I drive 30K per year) and a '96 Saturn SC2 for her and her 1-mile work commute.

I'd really like to get a pickup again, but it would have to be a newer, dependable one good for long and heavy hauls (camping). And I just can't justify the price of a new truck and camper for a few weeks of camping each year. (And I can't justify replacing the Prius with a truck and its associated high driving costs.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Sometimes cars reach a point that their intrinsic worth is more than the paper money you'll get. We have a 98 Explorer that I just can't let go for the paltry sum I will likely get for it. It costs me insurance and takes up room in the driveway. Once in a while the kids come home and get to drive it but I really should sell it.
yes i agree. I got an 96 explorer in mint shape with only 96k miles, but value is less than a 1000 so it just sits in the driveway, maybe couple hundred miles per year

Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
Yeah, in addition to my daily driver, I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler that I don't "need," but it's paid off, fun to drive, and the insurance cost is minimal.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
I have a 1993 Mazda Miata that we drive in the spring and fall and the cooler days of summer. I've had it for 13 years and am beginning to think it's time to sell it. We seem to be driving it less and less. It may be time to let somebody else love it and have some fun with it.

And we have a 2000 Dodge Dakota (truck) that we purchased from a business after they bought my husband a new truck. Almost every week somebody is borrowing it for something! Once we even had somebody waiting to get it as another person drove it back.
A truck is always useful to have around.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Sometimes cars reach a point that their intrinsic worth is more than the paper money you'll get. We have a 98 Explorer that I just can't let go for the paltry sum I will likely get for it. It costs me insurance and takes up room in the driveway. Once in a while the kids come home and get to drive it but I really should sell it.
Yup.
I did.
For years.
It was worth more than the crappy blue book value.
Then someone who really wanted it gave me more 2x blue book value.
Then it became worth selling.
So I did.

That was my third car. Since I always have 2 cars (and my wife has one), I guess I always technically and still do have a car I don't need.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:51 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
I have a 1980 F100, that I bought in 84. I've rebuilt it twice from the frame up. It's pushing 400,000 miles. Currently costing me $1,000. Crappy eco fuel rusted the tank and ate up the carb and fuel pump.

Put a whole new system in. Go to start it and the freakin STARTER fryed itself! Arrrgh.

F ix
O r
R epair
D aily

But registration is $9 a year and insurance is $160 a YEAR! So putting a grand into it every few years is OK.

I can fix it with a hammer, wrench and curse words.

My fancy 2017 F150 4x4 daily driver on the other hand is $60,000+ and needs an engineer to change the oil.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:32 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,731 times
My wife and I work odd hours. There is no public transportation which we could use to commute. We keep and older Pick Up insured and in running condition "in case".

Old 10-18-2016, 05:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
For years, I had a VW GTI as my daily driver and a V8 AWD Mountaineer as my ski car and occasional Home Depot hauler. Financially, it was a really stupid thing to do as road salt started causing all kinds of failures in the SUV.

I collapsed those two cars down to a really boring 6-cylinder Outback. I'd love to have something interesting as a summer garage queen but it's kind of nice having one new, under warranty, paid-for car.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:56 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
My parents keep a 95 Dodge Ram parked at their lake house. It's super cheap to be registered (rural GA) and insurance is dirt cheap too. My grandparents owned it before and took very good care of it (retired with plenty of time and a good amount of money). It mostly just sits but it is useful for towing the boat a few times a year but more so for hauling basically anything. My dad has filled the bed with firewood from a friend each November for the last few years. I've helped haul who knows how much yard debris and we've transported all sorts of furniture. They could live without it, but it's useful just enough and cheap enough to keep it around and with it at the lake house, it doesn't take up space at home.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
YES... I own 50 vehicles and I could really get buy with my service truck and travel car... to 48 more than I need.

Thankfully antique auto insurance is very good and very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive