Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 12:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
What will probably happen is a flood of small trucks will be introduced but not at small prices...

Buyers will see there isn't much savings so many will opt bigger.

Several recent truck buyers I know all opted for 4 door because they are people haulers more than material haulers...

For years I owned no truck... but I have always owned a 4x8 utility trailer that I could load with plywood, drywall, rock, or whatever... very cheap to keep and very useful...
I think if we see a surge of small trucks it won't be BOF trucks like the old Hardbodys or Tacomas. They will be Unibodies like the Ridgeline, to get around the Chicken Tax. Right now, only the Domestic Manufacturers, Nissan and Toyota have the capacity to build BOF trucks in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 12:09 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
When you say he made money on the restoration, do you mean that he he made a profit after accounting for the retail value of his labor added to the cost of the parts he used and the cost of the vehicle, or do you mean he 'made money' like he spent $5000 on the base car, $5000 on parts, and sold it for $12000 after putting 500 hours into it, earning $4 an hour for his time?

And if you are using re-using 50 year old plastic and rubber parts, you most assuredly are not ending up with a vehicle 'better than new'.
Your opinion is just exactly that: YOUR opinion!
I don't know anybody who assigns a value to time spent on a hobby. Only those who are trying to make a living or are looking for additional income do that.
My son states that he sold the Plymouth for 10K more than he had in it. I don't care to question how he arrived at that figure. If he is happy with it, that's all that matters. My opinion, or the opinion of a total stranger, is completely irrelevant!

By the way, I see in the local paper this morning that there is a 1986 Chevy S-10 4X4 for sale. 56,000 original miles, $5950.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:23 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,402,577 times
It's been reported that Jeep is getting ready to release a new pickup soon (2018 or 2019?). Not very many details have been released yet so I'm not sure if it fits the definition of "small pickup" or not. This is a picture of one of their concept vehicles from 2005, so I'm sure the final product will be different, but it does sound interesting none the less.

Last edited by bfrabel; 10-23-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 12:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
It kind of has the nostalgic Willys look to it with the the side mounted spare and square rear roof line.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think if we see a surge of small trucks it won't be BOF trucks like the old Hardbodys or Tacomas. They will be Unibodies like the Ridgeline, to get around the Chicken Tax. Right now, only the Domestic Manufacturers, Nissan and Toyota have the capacity to build BOF trucks in the US.
The Toyota NUMMI plant sure did turn out a lot of small Toyota Pickups... even the local Pizza Delivery fleets were using the regular cabs around here...

My uncle likes his plain Jane Toyota with manual and 4cyl bought in 2014.... he has driven it half way across the country and back...

Old 10-23-2016, 01:14 PM

57 posts, read 70,118 times
if the new jeep truck is anything like everything they make now it will be a useless mall crawler. they ruined the grand cherokee

Old 10-23-2016, 01:35 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
What will probably happen is a flood of small trucks will be introduced but not at small prices...

Buyers will see there isn't much savings so many will opt bigger.

Several recent truck buyers I know all opted for 4 door because they are people haulers more than material haulers...

For years I owned no truck... but I have always owned a 4x8 utility trailer that I could load with plywood, drywall, rock, or whatever... very cheap to keep and very useful...
I am single and no kids. Plus a full size just fits in my Garage. My 2013 RAM R/T regcab would just fit, a longer 4door or long bed would not fit. With my job at the time i had to have a truck for work, as soon as i changed jobs to work 4 miles from my hoouse i no longer needed a truck. I went out and bought a 2015 GT Stang so fast it would make your head spin. I love speed and power and gave up my C6 VettE for that job.

I always loved the S10's and had two Ford Lightnings a 99 and 03 and could never warm up to a full size. Then bought a 2010 5.3 Colorado 4 door as you were forced to buy a Ext cab or 4 door with the 5.3 as no reg cab 5.3 was made. They just never made a small factory truck with a 400+ hp v8.

Chevy dropped the ball with the Xtreme as it only came with a 4 or 6 banger and it was the best looking truck ever. Then GM screwed up by not bringing over the UTE with the LS2 from the land down under.

Even today Chevy could offer up a regcab SS with the 6.2 and they won't do it. The new Colorado is ugly and bigger than the older version and no SS V8 version is offered.

The truck makers have let me down.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:28 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewheart View Post
if the new jeep truck is anything like everything they make now it will be a useless mall crawler. they ruined the grand cherokee
You act like the Grand Cherokee competed with the Defender or something. It's the same vehicle has before it's just not out of date and far more popular.
The current Wrangler is a true body on frame, with solid axles and recirculating ball steering. Its far from a mall crawler.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:13 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
This isn't a market group's problem. If demand was high enough they'd still be out there. It's not so they're not
I think it's poor decision making at the automakers. They chose not to update their small trucks and gave them crummy inefficient engines. That's probably because they make more money from the big expensive trucks. Ford would rather sell you an F150 than a Ranger.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 AM

57 posts, read 70,118 times
the cherokee has had its nuts cut off and trust me, the wrangler wont be far behind, trucks are so much closer to cars than actual trucks nowadays its sad. When I buy a truck I dont need leather and premium tunes and power everything, I need to the haul **** for as cheap as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive