Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,740,814 times

Advertisements

Kind of like people saying Q-tip instead of cotton swab or Kleenex instead of tissue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,271,318 times
Partly because all Prii are hybrids whereas say an Accord hybrid most people wouldn't know unless they got close enough to read the badging.

The RAV4 hybrid is the best on the market imo. Actually faster than its non-hybrid counterpart and only a $700 premium over its non-hybrid version.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,742,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We have a Prius and love it. Have zero intention of trading it for a Tesla.

Toyota builds the best hybrids. Hands down. Great cars and great reliability. Low operating costs.
I second that on both points. Our Lexus RX400h hybrid has been bulletproof for over 150k miles and paid off the cost difference long ago. Love that car.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM

375 posts, read 609,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
because a large number of people drive a Prius so they can show the world that they "care"

once they get some more money they will trade it in for a Tesla
Just turned in my 14 Prius . Loved it! MPG is incredible. Used it for home AC emergency power with an inverter tapped into the battery. (YouTube for details) I'm going to replace it with a Prius Prime or (Believe it or not) a Chevy Volt. If the quality holds up, they are going to give Toyota a real challenge. I'll "Fuel up" with a small solar system. The new ones are pretty peppy.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:04 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,828,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
because a large number of people drive a Prius so they can show the world that they "care"

once they get some more money they will trade it in for a Tesla
Basically. I know in the liberal paradise of Los Angeles where I live a Prius is a status symbol. Even people that could afford more drive Prius. I've even heard several people complain because they don't have more luxury trim options for the Prius. But the Tesla Model 3 should solve that.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,593 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Prius gets all the press because it is so good looking!
Funny, I was just about to say the opposite. They are easily recognized by their ugliness, and drivers of other cars are used to seeing them and trying hard not to get stuck behind one so they seem more plentiful than they really are.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM

749 posts, read 736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As I noted earlier, it's an affordable, reliable hybrid that provides outstanding mpg and low emissions - that's why I bought one (gas had just come off $4.25/gal when I bought mine). But in my view it's boring, a transportation appliance. There are other hybrids much more pleasant to drive that get well above average mpg/lower emissions, like the Camry Hybrid we also own.

Our 2012 Prius has lots of rattles that come and go, and the sunroof rattles something awful when open. The 4 Hondas and 3 Toyotas we previously owned didn't rattle.

The 3rd Gen Prius was quirky but acceptable looking in my view, inside and out, but no better. But the new 4th gen Prius is outright ugly in my opinion, and the interior is even worse than the exterior again in my opinion. You couldn't give me one.

It's not much of a factor, but I won't miss being (falsely) associated with the eco-chic stigma of the Prius either. I have been proactively criticized for owning a Prius just by virtue of having one, but I don't engage when it happens. Haters gonna hate...it cuts both ways.
Thank you! I appreciate the honest observations of a guy "on the inside."

Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,271,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Basically. I know in the liberal paradise of Los Angeles where I live a Prius is a status symbol. Even people that could afford more drive Prius. I've even heard several people complain because they don't have more luxury trim options for the Prius.
Yeah there is the Lexus version, CT 200h. Which there are a few of those I see around regularly. But they don't have the same stigma even though they're largely the same car just fancied up and look much better.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,112,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
This is what I've suspected. Satisfied owners.

One of my sons has a Prius, and says it's the best car he has ever owned. He sounds like you.
I'm sorry about your son. Maybe if you buy him a Hellcat for his birthday...he might come around?

Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,263,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
But the Tesla Model 3 should solve that.
Don't expect any luxury out of a Model 3 at anywhere near $35K (and I'll believe that when I see it).
Like the Bolt, all the money's gonna be under the floorboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Funny, I was just about to say the opposite. They are easily recognized by their ugliness, and drivers of other cars are used to seeing them and trying hard not to get stuck behind one so they seem more plentiful than they really are.
He was being sarcastic and can correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive