Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM

749 posts, read 733,909 times

Advertisements

Title pretty much asks the question...

I know there are a lot of car makers that put out a lot of models of hybrids - even hybrid SUVs. But you never hear much about them.

Why?

Are the other hybrids problematic? Or are they just not as popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,468,333 times
because a large number of people drive a Prius so they can show the world that they "care"

once they get some more money they will trade it in for a Tesla

Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
We have a Prius and love it. Have zero intention of trading it for a Tesla.

Toyota builds the best hybrids. Hands down. Great cars and great reliability. Low operating costs.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We have a Prius and love it. Have zero intention of trading it for a Tesla.

Toyota builds the best hybrids. Hands down. Great cars and great reliability. Low operating costs.
This is what I've suspected. Satisfied owners.

One of my sons has a Prius, and says it's the best car he has ever owned. He sounds like you.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Neighbor had an Escape hybrid. It was a POS that hardly got better MPG than the non hybrid model.

Other hybrids aren't as popular because they don't get as high an MPG and they're not Toyotas.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,940,992 times
I think Prius just became the representative icon for all hybrids. They out-mpg everything else while being the cheapest and hold the most volume.
The problem is their fans keep giving them a pass for that terrible gauge layout. All gauges need to be in front of the driver. There is no excuse for sticking them anywhere else. Just stop it Toyota, just stop!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Ford and Honda both make excellent hybrids and they are much better looking. You do not really notice them though, because they look the same as the ICE models. Thus you are not aware how many are out there and you do noth think Hybrid, when you see one.

Also Toyota made the first Hybrid, long before anyone else so they are associated with the concept.

Hopefully the Prius has improved. I really wanted one when they first came out because I thought they were cool. I had a couple of multi-week business trips, so I rented one. I no longer wanted one after a few weeks of renting. They were(are?) sleds. Handling was atrocious. they had a middle speed range with almost no acceleration (somewhere around 50 - 70 or 30 - 60 I cannot remember it was a while ago). The interior control set up was very alien, everything was in the wrong (non traditional) location. For me, the MPG was no where near the touted levels. On one trip I averaged 35 MPG, on the other something like 42. Good but not spectacular. I have not driven once since, so I do not know if/how they have improved.

I did drive a volt for a while. It was much better than the Prius. Almost fun.

I drove a Tesla S around the block (4 miles) once - those are absolutely amazing to drive. I loved everything about that car except the $100,000 price tag.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ford and Honda both make excellent hybrids and they are much better looking. You do not really notice them though, because they look the same as the ICE models. Thus you are not aware how many are out there and you do noth think Hybrid, when you see one.

Also Toyota made the first Hybrid, long before anyone else so they are associated with the concept.

Hopefully the Prius has improved. I really wanted one when they first came out because I thought they were cool. I had a couple of multi-week business trips, so I rented one. I no longer wanted one after a few weeks of renting. They were(are?) sleds. Handling was atrocious. they had a middle speed range with almost no acceleration (somewhere around 50 - 70 or 30 - 60 I cannot remember it was a while ago). The interior control set up was very alien, everything was in the wrong (non traditional) location. For me, the MPG was no where near the touted levels. On one trip I averaged 35 MPG, on the other something like 42. Good but not spectacular. I have not driven once since, so I do not know if/how they have improved.

I did drive a volt for a while. It was much better than the Prius. Almost fun.

I drove a Tesla S around the block (4 miles) once - those are absolutely amazing to drive. I loved everything about that car except the $100,000 price tag.
I rented a Prius a couple years ago, when in Seattle. Put about 1000 miles on it, both in the city and through the countryside. It was a fantastic drive!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Prius gets all the press because it is so good looking!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,015 times
The Prius is the most conspicuous hybrid, in that it's not a model offered with a conventional ICE drive-train like most other hybrids, and the best selling so far. People interested in hybrids are probably aware of all the other hybrid models out there, but I'm sure the OP is right in saying the Prius is the most commonly recognized hybrid by the general public in the USA at least.

The eco-chic nature of the Prius is unfortunate, I know owners like that - some have lots of 'cause' bumper stickers. However, not all owners are self-righteous about their Prius.

The Prius is affordable, reliable transportation that offers outstanding mpg and lower emissions - a legit choice that appeals to millions of buyers. Otherwise it's one of the most boring cars you can own, more like a transportation appliance than a car. I've owned almost 20 different cars including a 2012 Prius currently, and a Camry Hybrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive