Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:00 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times

Advertisements

This has to be the goofiest "what car should I buy" thread that I've ever seen on any message board, ever.

Go all in with the Subaru, OP. Probably an Outback. If you want luxury, get a Lexus. Many of them I see are driven by women but I don't know how smart they are, I think they're all dentists wives.

Personally, I love a smart, successful woman myself but I buy my cars for me. My wife was a little upset about my last car purchase last month because it has a 6-speed manual and she can't drive it. The last car I bought for her (she has a PhD) was a Volvo FWIW. We've had it for 10 years now and it's been a bit of a maintenance nightmare over the past 2 years but she likes it. She wants a Benz next, and she'll get it if that's what she wants.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I'm sure from a financial viewpoint buying "new" is not smart. Since cars depreciate so much those first few years, the "smart" decision would be to buy a certified pre-owned vehicle. Years ago I bought a 1993 Mitsubishi Mirage (the sporty one, not the ugly one) that had 28,000 miles on it. I, being the smart woman that I am, took it in every 5000 miles for an oil change and tire rotation. I paid attention to all required preventive maintenance including replacing the timing belt. Replaced the battery and tires a few times.

That car never gave me a moment's trouble and I drove it past 120,000 miles. Of course if you buy new and keep it 7-10 years that is probably "smart" also.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Thought I would check back in on this ridiculous thread. Now even more ridiculous. Being a self-hating, ultra-beta, male feminist SJW is not going to help you in life. I think you're best off in a pink Chevy Spark.

This is certain to give you the emasculation you so desperately seek.
No way man, this thread is alpha as phuk. Pandering to women and referring to your (male) friend as your "BFF" is surely proof of that.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:40 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,689 times
Speaking as a smart woman. (I see what you are trying to get at OP).

Looking for the right car means finding a car that fits the budget, is practical for my needs and that I enjoy driving and looking at. Now for me it has to be a Subaru. Makes sense for the places I go and the area I live in. AWD is a lovely thing both on snowy roads, the occasional horse pasture or dirt road and heavy rain. The car is comfortable and accommodates a few friends and their luggage for the occasional road trip. I also like a car that is fuel efficient and kind to the environment. I personally love cars that are fun on curvy roads and look great. Who says a smart woman can't love a hot rod? But we want to drive it not just admire it.

I ended up with a 2013 Subaru Impreza sedan(certified pre-owned) but in my heart the car I really want is an STi. It is just not in the budget and really probably not practical for some of my needs.

Last edited by shadowfax; 05-02-2017 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-02-2017, 08:44 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
After all of these replies, why not just get a car you like for no other reason than liking it. Why spend so much effort wanting to emulate someone else?
Like most topics at C-D I was looking for advice before making an important decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm sure from a financial viewpoint buying "new" is not smart. Since cars depreciate so much those first few years, the "smart" decision would be to buy a certified pre-owned vehicle.
I know, but this is one of the few things I treat myself to every several-10 years: a nice new 100 miles odo brand new untouched car. Life is not worth living without at least a few luxuries. I can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Speaking as a smart woman. (I see what you are trying to get at OP).

Looking for the right car means finding a car that fits the budget, is practical for my needs and that I enjoy driving and looking at. Now for me it has to be a Subaru. Makes sense for the places I go and the area I love in. AWD is a lovely thing both on snowy roads, the occasional horse pasture or dirt road and heavy rain. The car is comfortable and accommodates a few friends and their luggage for the occasional road trip. I also like a car that is fuel efficient and kind to the environment. I personally love cars that are fun on curvy roads and look great. Who says a smart woman can't love a hot rod? But we want to drive it not just admire it.

I ended up with a 2013 Subaru Impreza sedan(certified pre-owned) but in my heart the car I really want is an STi. It is just not in the budget and really probably not practical for some of my needs.
Thanks for at least being one of the few who understand the question instead of being set off by political correctness and micro-aggressions!

My budget can be anything I want. I could spend $100K if I wanted to but IMO that is way too much to spend on wheels. I expect I'll probably end up above $30K but below $40K. I want something nice and sleek, but I'm not into throwing money away. There's a perspective on how much to spend and it isn't "on the cheap" nor is it $60K-$100K.

I live in SoCal but may move to Phoenix, no snow either place. Probably do most road trips with my buddy; he's thinking of buying a smaller 4x4 perhaps CUV. I doubt my new car will ever see snow unless I spill a sno cone on it! -- I would go on a road trip with only one other person, either buddy or possible future significant other.

I don't care what women think of my car. I just want to make a purchase decision a smart businesswoman unpoisoned by testosterone would pick.

Imprezza is on my list except brand new. Thanks for your reply!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 AM

840 posts, read 1,121,055 times
I love the Audi A4. Lots of power! In dynamic mode, it accelerates like a rocket.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM

I'm gonna at least look at the Audi lot. I suspect I won't find what I want except at more than I want to spend.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:40 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,422 times
I'm a smart, business oriented woman, at the top of my career. I actually went car shopping just last August. BMWs, while sleek looking, have (to me) dated looking interiors. I like Audi's, but they seem to be a dime a dozen and the add on packages are ridiculous--next to nothing I wanted was standard and add on costs were ridiculous. Mercedes...nope. I personally hate how they drive. I narrowed it down to Lexus and Infiniti and finally settled on a certified used Infiniti Coupe. I looked at the new ones--but, to me, it doesn't make sense to get a first year remodel, when they could still potentially be working out the kinks. Why have to deal with potential recalls, etc? This way, I still got the warranty, my car had less than 20K on it, and it had all the bells and whistles I wanted, as well as the safety.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:57 AM

Thanks Stephy! Actually I'm really looking forward to seeing the Lexus and Infiniti models.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards brand new, but I'm good at finance and understand the concept of how much a new car loses in value the minute its tires hit the street for the first time. I'm open to new 2016 stock and perhaps a very young pre-owned car.

And you are what I aspire to, WRT top of your career. While I am retired I did retire at the top of my career, and I didn't have my brains surgically removed!

Old 05-02-2017, 12:09 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There's a lot of difference between a woman who works at clerk and a woman who is smart enough to decide on a business plan and start her own business. I'm interested in women who are business persons like I am. I date only smart women. Even better if they are smarter than me. My ideal woman is one too smart for other men to handle. I like a challenge!

All my friends male or female are intellectuals.
How does that arrogance serve you in the dating field?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm gonna at least look at the Audi lot. I suspect I won't find what I want except at more than I want to spend.
Just because a certain subset of people buy them, doesn't make them a good idea.

The make a really nice, sleek car. But if you want to keep it for any length of time, skip it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive