Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times

Advertisements

Just got an oil change in our main car because we're thinking of road-tripping next weekend in it. A nice long highway cruise in it is good for the mechanicals, and since we want to keep it for 15 years, we can't just be driving it 20mph in stop and go traffic a few times a week and expect it to last properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Why are you buying insurance?

Your policy covers you when you use a "temporary" or "substitute vehicle".

Rental insurance is one of the biggest rip offs that exists unless you don't have a vehicle of your own that is already covered by insurance.

Also, if you have a decent credit card it should cover any collision damage waiver.

I sometimes rent a car if the vacation is a long, driving vacation and I can get a cheap rental car with unlimited mileage.
I told one agent that was helping that my credit card will cover any damage that may occur. She said it won't and brought up it's state law. I replied, so is driving the speed limit. She didn't press on the issue anymore. She gave me the vehicle and I was on my way. I later found out that the woman was exaggerating about the state law.

Rental insurances are a waste of money, even if you don't own a vehicle of your own. If selling insurance is how they make most of their money, then they need to re-evaluate their business model. If they are commission incentives towards the agent, the agents need to get better at selling.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:28 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm curious what kind of driving one does if they never go over 20 and never run into trucks. Must be all neighborhood streets. You are the definite exception.
Which in that case, why own a car at all. Just take Uber, bicycle, walk, or something.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:32 PM

507 posts, read 662,985 times
Interesting...I guess I wondered if other people did it, too. I have several valuable
collector cars (and trucks), and found when I was still in my twenties that I spent
my entire time worried about my car if I took one of them on a trip. Started renting
cars for trips, and have been doing it now for a couple decades...

Actually I usually rent a truck. I'm a Ford truck guy, so I like to rent Dodge Ram
Sports. Get a kick out of driving something different. Mustang's are fun, too.

Last edited by Wyoprairie; 07-16-2017 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: shorten

Old 08-12-2017, 02:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,475 times
Any road trip that is over 200 miles I typically 9 times out of 10 will rent a vehicle. Though my vehicle is only 5 years old with more miles than I'd like to admit, I typically travel a lot of "questionable" back roads, in rural areas with very limited cell phone coverage. As a result, there is some peace of mind knowing that I am driving a vehicle that should be fairly new, with reliable tires, and dependability. Typically I can get a pretty decent car for around 35-40 bucks for an overnight trip, and perhaps spend 80-100 dollars for a long weekend.

For me it's more about peace of mind on the back roads than it is about putting miles on my own car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive