Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times

Advertisements

No, and imo this is silly. First off, highway miles are nothing on a car wear and tear wise. If you're worried about "saving your car", you'd be better off renting a car for around town driving and short trips as that's the nitty gritty that tears a car down over time.

Second, why did you buy a car if you don't want to drive it?

I get it...different strokes, but me personally I bought my Lexus LS430 to enjoy it, and for road trips I can't think of a better car. I'd drive it to Alaska and back tomorrow without a second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
No, I bought my car for driving especially to take long trips. The more I use my car the more I am making good use of the money I spent on it. I did not buy the car to have it sitting as a showpiece. The more it sits the more money I actually waste by paying through my nose for something I am not making use of.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:13 PM

4,482 posts, read 3,857,652 times
My car is not a showpiece. I use my car and I put 5k miles on it annually.

However, I think it's well worth it to pay a few dollars for a rental car if I can avoid having to invest hours of my time and hundreds of dollars having to clean and likely repair my car after a road trip.

The 5k city miles I put on my car yearly do not give rise to any interior/exterior repairs or professional cleaning.

In my experience, road trips do.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:51 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

However, I think it's well worth it to pay a few dollars for a rental car if I can avoid having to invest hours of my time and hundreds of dollars having to clean and likely repair my car after a road trip.

The 5k city miles I put on my car yearly do not give rise to any interior/exterior repairs or professional cleaning.

5K is less than half the average miles a consumer puts on a car so you are the extreme.

You actually get less wear and tear on engine components driving highway vs city anyways.

The fact that your clients can't seem to keep food from spilling is on them and not representative of the average road trip experience. Your clients could just as easily spill food or dirty up the interior driving around the city. In fact more likely due to constant stop/go

Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:

Hundreds of dollars and hours of time to clean and repair your car after a road trip?

I have made dozens and dozens of road trips, across the US a few times, up and down the coasts, and everywhere in between, and never had to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of my time to clean and repair my car.

Ok, well one time I did, but I went off-roading and got real muddy and had to disassemble the front wheel bearings to re-grease them because the things got dunked for a prolonged period under water, but even that did not cost hundreds of dollars and hours of my time to re-grease and wash my truck.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
5K is less than half the average miles a consumer puts on a car so you are the extreme.

You actually get less wear and tear on engine components driving highway vs city anyways.

The fact that your clients can't seem to keep food from spilling is on them and not representative of the average road trip experience. Your clients could just as easily spill food or dirty up the interior driving around the city. In fact more likely due to constant stop/go

I am not focused on wear/tear mechanically. At no point have I said anything about wear and tear on the engine, etc. I am well aware that highway miles are the best miles mechanically.

I am focused on the wear and tear of the interior and the exterior.

Road trips, with highway driving (pebbles, rocks, bugs, crap on the road, hail, salt, etc.), eating/sitting in the car for hours, parking in unfamiliar places, cause more COSMETIC wear and tear than city driving around town by myself 5,000 miles a year.

Like I said before, I don't usually drive clients in my car at home either.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Hundreds of dollars and hours of time to clean and repair your car after a road trip?

I have made dozens and dozens of road trips, across the US a few times, up and down the coasts, and everywhere in between, and never had to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of my time to clean and repair my car.

Ok, well one time I did, but I went off-roading and got real muddy and had to disassemble the front wheel bearings to re-grease them because the things got dunked for a prolonged period under water, but even that did not cost hundreds of dollars and hours of my time to re-grease and wash my truck.
That's very good for you. But as I already explained, the (rare) road trip I took last week in my own car resulted in: cracked windshield, stained seat, dented door and hood damage from bugs. I wish it would have happened to a Hertz rental instead of my car. My fault.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
That's very good for you. But as I already explained, the (rare) road trip I took last week in my own car resulted in: cracked windshield, stained seat, dented door and hood damage from bugs. I wish it would have happened to a Hertz rental instead of my car. My fault.
But that can happen any time you drive the car, not just on a road trip.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
I do rent a car for road trips because I don't put a lot of miles on my car and I want to keep it that way. And when driving around town by myself, my car stays clean. Add other people on a road trip and the inside doesn't look so good anymore.

I never used to buy the rental company's insurance until one time I was in a hurry and wanted to get the rental done so when they asked about the insurance, I just said "sure." Best thing I ever did. I rent through Costco Travel and my spouse is automatically covered as an additional driver through them. It just so happens he was driving the car when a deer ran out in front of us. The car was totaled. We didn't have to pay a cent and the only question the rental company (Hertz) asked is "Do you need another car?"

Now I get the insurance and I know I don't have to worry. If absolutely anything happens, it's covered. To me it's worth the peace of mind. I know my own insurance would also cover it, but there would be a deductible and it would just be more of a hassle if anything happened.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
Quote:

Not sure what kind of road trips you are taking? I took my car right after break in period on a trip from LA to Vegas, since I have taken several other trips and my car looks practically brand new. Road trips did nothing to it. Why would it? I am confused. Damage from road debris and such is more likely in city driving than cruising on a highway in desolate areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive