Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 02:04 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,344 times

Advertisements

Been renting cars for long roadtrips for over 25 years. I baby my cars to a degree, and it is easier for me to enjoy the trip when I have a rental that I do not need to obsess about. I start to consider if greater than 5 hours one way, but our trips are usually longer. If doing lots of miles and can get a rental for around $250 per week - - it is a non-brainer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
My mother has done that before, and is planning to drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas Memorial Day weekend with it.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
tough to beat a $9.99 Enterprise rental (weekends from 'off-airport-sites') They will even come fetch you, or deliver the car to your door!

Old 05-22-2017, 03:50 PM

19 posts, read 27,641 times
I can see several reasons where renting makes a lot of sense and it is something that I do. 1) Size of vehicle is perhaps the easiest . . . big vehicles are expensive to purchase and expensive to put gas in year-round. If you only really need that convenience once, maybe twice, a year, then it makes a lot of sense to just rent it and save the money the rest of the year with a smaller, more economical vehicle. Trucks are like this for me. I would really love to have a truck, but really using the “truck” aspect of it a handful of times a year, does not make much sense from a financial point of view. 2) Long distances. As Zippyman pointed out . . . can I borrow your car for a month for $500? By the way, I plan on bringing it back with at least 5,000 more miles on it. Even better . . . I would like to borrow your car for a road trip for a “long” weekend. I plan on putting over 1,500 miles on it . . . here is $75. Would you readily take any of those deals? 3) People who lease. 4) Business. If I have to drive for business, I very rarely use my own vehicle. Even though I get reimbursed for the mileage, it is not worth it in the long run. I do this is even with a 30+mpg vehicle that cost about $20k new. The more miles that I put on a vehicle, the closer I get to having to buy a new one . . . not an expense I look forward to. 5) Pleasure. Sometimes it is just nice to drive a new/different vehicle. A convertible or sports car is a good example. For most people, these are expensive and impractical vehicles. Easier to just rent them for a day or two and not live with them all year.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:52 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
tough to beat a $9.99 Enterprise rental (weekends from 'off-airport-sites') They will even come fetch you, or deliver the car to your door!
Just be careful with those off airport sites. Read the contract very carefully. Some will state only use in specific states (home state) whereas the airport sites normally don't have that restriction.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Only when I fly. I rented a car for the first time a few weeks ago.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:02 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Only when I fly. I rented a car for the first time a few weeks ago.
Of course, I'm not one to drive my own car when I fly

Old 05-22-2017, 06:18 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,019 times
Renting always. For long trips and for short. I don't own a car. The perks of a city - walkable distances and all sorts of public transport. Once a month I rent a car to do bulky purchases. The rest of the month - light groceries. Twice a year I rent for long trips. All in all, it is cheaper than owning a car - neither having monthly payments, nor parting with a large sum of money at the outset. I am not ruling out buying a car, sometime in the future. But, driving new rented vehicles (my rented cars have all been under 8000 kms), it sets your standards high...

Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,297 times
I think you are dumb not to rent if you are putting a lot of miles on. I have a 2015 CR-V with 35,000 miles. Whenever I leave the area, I rent. It's not as nice as my ride but I am not putting miles on it for a trip I could've done by air.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:41 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I usually do. If my own vehicle were to have a breakdown far from home it would be a hassle to have to find a shop, wait for the repair, possibly have to take time off work, etc..

With a rental I can simply call an 800 number and tell them to bring me another one.
That's how I approach it, too. Plus, it's fun to try out a new car with no need to keep it. For instance, I'd never buy a convertible but I got one once for a California vacation with my niece. We had a great time tooling around Los Angeles with the top down. I always buy used and usually choose rather utilitarian vehicles. So I enjoy driving a sports model when I'm touring, or having a nice car when I'm valeting at hotels or restaurants, something I never do at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive