Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:25 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I like the freedom of -- IF I get a flat tire -- or IF there's an accident -- I call and get another car, and keep going on my trip -- and it's not MY car that's messed up....or worse ....now I'm back to car payments.
If you get a flat tire, you want it repaired. Call AAA, they come out, fix it and you are done. It isn't like a replacement car is going to appear for you within a minute because it is rented.

If you are in an accident, you are going to be inconvenienced regardless. You could just as easily be in a car accident driving your own car going to the grocery store. I read an insurance statistic that said most car accidents happen close to the driver's home. You aren't going to rent a car to drive the grocery store out of fear of getting in an accident with your own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
I usually drive my own car on vacations. There are times a rental car works out better for sure. I rented a large mini-van when there were several of us going on a vacation, but that was more for getting more than 4 people in a car for our trip.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I did that once......kids wanted a train trip. It cost me more than driving and TOOK LONGER! Kids have the memories and I'll know never to do that again
I expect it will be an adventure. One of the main reasons I am doing it is to scout it out for my parents so they'll come visit because my mother won't fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
That has always surprised me, there's really not much advantage between a Tacoma and a 1/2 ton Silverado with a 5.3L.

I guess there's no shock, the era of the minitruck is in the past and really they're all about the same size. Engine displacement has less to do with mileage than you might think and those GM LS V8s are pretty remarkable.
Those new 8-speed transmissions have a lot to do with the outstanding mileage those full-size GM trucks get now.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:30 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Quote:
You could just as easily be in a car accident driving your own car going to the grocery store.
Yes, but that's not going to screw up my vacation.

Quote:
I don't get your logic, you have 206k miles and want to keep the car until it gets to 500k,
Because the less my car is on the road, the more likely it will make it to 500K. Because the less likely it's exposed to potential accidents.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:21 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
For long trips we like rent. We always rent from the same company, not Avis or other expensive company, so the more we rent from them the lower the rates for return customers. It is fun to "test" drive a new car for a few weeks as a lot has changed since we bought our trusty Honda. I agree with other posters that it is nice not to have to worry about waiting at a garage for our car to be repaired if it were to break down, not to mention having to pay higher "out of town" charges. Vacations are for going not sitting in a repair shop!

Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Nope.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
Nope we buy our vehicles with the intent of driving them into the ground.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Some of the Yes replies were given by people who chose to rent for reasons more heavily weighted towards peace of mind or variety than "return on investment." Cars are not investments anyway. They are tools. Sometimes there are reasons to rent different tools than the ones you own.

I would like to rent something like a Miata for a noncamping road trip. But I sure wouldn't own one. Not because of any fault in it, but because I frequently carry bikes, boats, and other bulky stuff, and I tow a trailer. Ever towed a long trailer with a short-wheelbase vehicle? At highway speeds?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:49 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
We have three cars in retirement, one is used only for vacation driving, approximately 12K annually. We also fly and rent if time is a consideration.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Yes, but that's not going to screw up my vacation.
Neither does being in a wreck while on vacation in your own car; just rent one when it occurs and carry on.

Quote:
Because the less my car is on the road, the more likely it will make it to 500K. Because the less likely it's exposed to potential accidents.
This makes absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive