Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I can haul a stove, dishwasher, W or D in my C-max. Not at the same time of course. I can also sleep in the back - maybe I should call it a micro-minivan.

It's not the end of the world to haul a fridge on its side. You just need to set it upright for a couple of hours before you turn it on.
A pickup is more practical for the weekend homeowner , can haul mulch, sod, and lumber for their home projects, and if you have a 4x4 you can remove small stumps, and put a plow on it for the snow and make some extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
A pickup is more practical for the weekend homeowner , can haul mulch, sod, and lumber for their home projects, and if you have a 4x4 you can remove small stumps, and put a plow on it for the snow and make some extra money.
I had to fire up the google because I didn't even know what a C-Max was. Kudos to the guy who used it to move a washer/dryer and a stove. Where there's a will there's a way, I suppose. It takes me back to HS when I worked at Walmart. This was back in the 90s when a large screen TV came in a box that was big enough to fill the largest of minivans or SUVs alike! Invariably I'd get paged to assist a customer load his TV into his car and invariably said customer would march me straight out to his Honda Civic (if it was a good day he'd have a car that big) and expect me to work miracles. I even had one complain to the store manager that I couldn't load his TV! How about showing up in a car that'll fit your purchase inside, a-hole!

Old 07-13-2017, 05:55 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I have a minivan and have found it very useful and enjoyable. But I wish I also had a pickup truck. They're not exactly cheap these days, though.

Some day.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Shrug. Maybe not the ones you can afford.

My SUV equals a Miata in roadholding g's, obliterates one in acceleration and top speed, and they're basically tied in braking from 70-0. Pretty sure my stock SUV is much faster around a track than any stock Miata.
What alternate universe do you live in where a 5,000 pound SUV can out-corner a 2,300 pound Miata? F=MA and all that basic physics stuff says otherwise. The track kind-a depends on which track. A twisty SCCA track? No chance. An oval track where you only turn left on banked corners? Sure.

A 2017 base trim level Corvette costs about the same as a 2017 base trim level Suburban. Let's put those head-to-head on any track in the country and see which car wins.

Back on-topic: I still don't see why most people would need a huge car where the car mostly has one passenger and zero cargo. Why not put a receiver hitch on a smaller car and have a Harbor Freight folding trailer stuffed in a corner of the garage for those occasional Home Depot runs? If you need to haul the little league team, sure. Get something that seats a ton of people. I'm not sure why anyone would need to spend all the extra cash and increased operating costs to haul around someone else's kids.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have a minivan and have found it very useful and enjoyable. But I wish I also had a pickup truck. They're not exactly cheap these days, though.

Some day.
I agree, but there's a reason for that. Even looking at used trucks in decent condition shows how much trucks can cost. They hold their value, as do SUVs. I think trucks even moreso though. When I bought my Sequoia one of the vehicles I considered was a 4-door Tacoma. Because "inexpensive" was a significant priority I was looking for something a little older. Even then, in the area I'd be able to reasonably travel to look at a vehicle the only options were either in very rough shape or had 250,000 miles on them and prices above what I was willing to pay at that type of mileage. Some of these trucks were 15 years old and still priced at over $10k even with all those miles. A lower mileage truck with 4 doors and 4x4 was significantly higher priced.

Impressive. Those sellers were asking those prices for one reason: they can. This goes back to the depreciation aspect discussed earlier in this thread. Trucks and SUVs maintain a lot more value for a lot longer than does a minivan and that reality is reflected in the prices set by the market for used vehicles.

Considering new minivans rival new trucks in pricing, it's easy to justify a purchase of a full size truck over a minivan. Full size SUVs cost even more than trucks, so that's a value-add discussion one may deem not worth it. To me it is, but I'm pretty sure my next vehicle purchase is going to be a Tundra. Maybe a Tacoma if I decide I don't need all the extra size and power.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Some day.
That's why pickups are so expensive they are a multi purpose vehicle, you can do so much more with a pickup I loved my pickups I had 3 F150's and could go anywhere with my FX 4x4 and helped many cars that were stuck in the snow can't do that with a minivan in fact those were some of the vehicles I pulled out of the snow. Nothing beats a big V8 motor.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Back on-topic: I still don't see why most people would need a huge car where the car mostly has one passenger and zero cargo. Why not put a receiver hitch on a smaller car and have a Harbor Freight folding trailer stuffed in a corner of the garage for those occasional Home Depot runs? If you need to haul the little league team, sure. Get something that seats a ton of people. I'm not sure why anyone would need to spend all the extra cash and increased operating costs to haul around someone else's kids.
Most people I know who bought one of those regretted it. Everyone has different experiences though, so I'll not discount any claims of having no problems at all with durability.

The reason we bought the trailer we did was it needed to be big enough to hold kayaks. We wanted the boats to lay flat, so that meant 12' minimum bed length. We also reasoned since we're spending the money anyway, we'd not spend it on a trailer that only hauled kayaks: it needed to have multiple uses. While a trailer may be extra cost over a truck or minivan, the advantages (since we needed one anyway) are profound. All this talk about moving A washer or drier or stove or fridge...I could by all of the above and pick them up in one trip with a dishwasher thrown in just because. Even then I'd have room for more stuff. Trailers are awesome. And a trailer as useful as the one we have is too big for a minivan to pull.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Most people I know who bought one of those regretted it. Everyone has different experiences though, so I'll not discount any claims of having no problems at all with durability.

The reason we bought the trailer we did was it needed to be big enough to hold kayaks. We wanted the boats to lay flat, so that meant 12' minimum bed length. We also reasoned since we're spending the money anyway, we'd not spend it on a trailer that only hauled kayaks: it needed to have multiple uses. While a trailer may be extra cost over a truck or minivan, the advantages (since we needed one anyway) are profound. All this talk about moving A washer or drier or stove or fridge...I could by all of the above and pick them up in one trip with a dishwasher thrown in just because. Even then I'd have room for more stuff. Trailers are awesome. And a trailer as useful as the one we have is too big for a minivan to pull.
Sure you can put a hitch on a smaller minivan or car but what you can pull is limited. A pickup can pull twice as much I liked the option that I could pull a full size camping trailer with my class ll hitch instead of only a pop up trailer. To each there own but there are more full side pickups on the road than minivans. Why would you want to tear up your minivan interior if you have to use it to haul anything. I've seen allot of minivan's with there interior destroyed from hauling stuff.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
What alternate universe do you live in where a 5,000 pound SUV can out-corner a 2,300 pound Miata? F=MA and all that basic physics stuff says otherwise. The track kind-a depends on which track. A twisty SCCA track? No chance. An oval track where you only turn left on banked corners? Sure.
The universe where I'm sitting here typing a reply to someone who has no idea about what sporty SUVs are capable of.

My tires have twice the contact patch as a Miata, without even going into the myriad active suspension and dampening technology it has, which the Miata lacks. Braking? My front rotors are the size of a Miata's wheels.

A Miata could conceivably win on a tight, small track where top speed never goes above 40-50 mph. Any other track, I'm going to eat that Miata alive.

Why don't you take a minute and look up lap times that some of the sporty SUV's have put down on a variety of tracks, and then look at what a Miata has accomplished on those same tracks? Then you can just stop talking and you'll stop looking foolish.

A stock Miata is pathetic.

EDIT: Amused at your mention of a "twisty" SCCA track. Those aren't tracks junior. Those are parking lots with cones.

Last edited by Katana49; 07-13-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
A 2017 base trim level Corvette costs about the same as a 2017 base trim level Suburban. Let's put those head-to-head on any track in the country and see which car wins.
What a stupid deflection. We're talking a Miata vs an X5/X6M, Porsche Cayenne, ML63 etc, and you think you're making a valid comparison using a Corvette vs a crappy Suburban? Cost was never a factor of the discussion either.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive