Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think women like men who think for themselves and get the kind of car that suits the lifestyle that they have. Not one that they're trying to project because of their little man insecurities.
Single women with 3 kids like single men with minivans. Women with no kids like single men with anything else.
I don't like women who like men who like minivans. I'm into a more classier sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:41 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's hilarious bc I think minivans are terrible for lots of luggage.
Unless you don't carry passengers.
That's an interesting point because much has been made about interior cargo space of a minivan, even when passengers are involved. And yet, it's not uncommon to see a minivan with the exterior storage case strapped to the top. I don't think I've ever seen a full size SUV with one of those. Just an observation...

Old 07-06-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That's an interesting point because much has been made about interior cargo space of a minivan, even when passengers are involved. And yet, it's not uncommon to see a minivan with the exterior storage case strapped to the top. I don't think I've ever seen a full size SUV with one of those. Just an observation...
You don't get around much. Check out any major US interstate during a holiday weekend. You see roof carriers strapped to any and everything.
It doesn't make sense to lug around more car than you need just for the once a year camping trip and most families have less than 3 kids anyway.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You don't get around much. Check out any major US interstate during a holiday weekend. You see roof carriers strapped to any and everything.
It doesn't make sense to lug around more car than you need just for the once a year camping trip and most families have less than 3 kids anyway.
Actually I live just outside of one of the most tourist-infiltrated cities in the country (D.C.) and it was a holiday weekend just this past week. And since I raised this same point about external cargo carriers earlier in this thread I have made a deliberate effort to start counting external carriers on full size SUVs and a passive effort to count them on minivans. I haven't seen one yet on a full size SUV but today alone I stopped counting minivans when I reached 10.

Again, it's just one man'a observation, and it certainly doesn't mean there isn't a single SUV with a roof mounted cargo carrier, but the ratio of minvans with one to SUVs with one must be staggering. Laws of probability suggest even I was casually looking for SUVs I'd notice a couple. But I'm still at zero. 0. Zilch. Nada. And I live in a tourist heavy area where a lot of people are traveling from all over the country. License plates from all over. People who are clearly on a road trip.

But please, keep assuming I don't get out much.

In other news, I have a spot I like to kayak after work sometimes. It's pretty secluded and while you don't need 4x4 to get there the road is in rough enough shape you definitely need some clearance. More than a minivan offers. I only recently (early May) picked up an SUV as my daily driver and it has opened up the ability to go to this spot after work. I go about once a week now, and I'm telling you the ability to wait out traffic while out on the water makes a huge difference. It's an option I have now but wouldn't have in a minivan.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Actually I live just outside of one of the most tourist-infiltrated cities in the country (D.C.) and it was a holiday weekend just this past week. And since I raised this same point about external cargo carriers earlier in this thread I have made a deliberate effort to start counting external carriers on full size SUVs and a passive effort to count them on minivans. I haven't seen one yet on a full size SUV but today alone I stopped counting minivans when I reached 10.

Again, it's just one man'a observation, and it certainly doesn't mean there isn't a single SUV with a roof mounted cargo carrier, but the ratio of minvans with one to SUVs with one must be staggering. Laws of probability suggest even I was casually looking for SUVs I'd notice a couple. But I'm still at zero. 0. Zilch. Nada. And I live in a tourist heavy area where a lot of people are traveling from all over the country. License plates from all over. People who are clearly on a road trip.

In other news, I have a spot I like to kayak after work sometimes. It's pretty secluded and while you don't need 4x4 to get there the road is in rough enough shape you definitely need some clearance. More than a minivan offers. I only recently (early May) picked up an SUV as my daily driver and it has opened up the ability to go to this spot after work. I go about once a week now, and I'm telling you the ability to wait out traffic while out on the water makes a huge difference. It's an option I have now but wouldn't have in a minivan.
I bet it was a blast humping that kayak off 77" in roof height. For the extra $20k you spent you could have just rented one.
I'm referring to most people which seem to take offense to. Are you afraid you're not like most people or something?
And here I got you actually counting rooftop carriers in the D.C. Metro giving me some kind of anecdotal practicality analysis. All that proves is you spent another $20k just to avoid the occasional rooftop carrier.
Thing is, I don't really care.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:12 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:

All you have proved is that SUV drivers may be too embarrassed to use a roof top carrier.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
All you have proved is that SUV drivers may be too embarrassed to use a roof top carrier.
It's an image thing.
Kayaks are ok though. Goes with the "outdoorsman" look they're going for.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I bet it was a blast humping that kayak off 77" in roof height.
It's actually not difficult at all. I have one that's 49 pounds and another that's 56 pounds, but it's not that hard getting them up or down. The key is not being a wuss.

It's even easier when the whole family comes. I just hitch up the trailer. You know: the one that is too big (hitch size) for a minivan to pull.

Quote:
For the extra $20k you spent you could have just rented one.
More presuming to know one's needs better than they know their own. Thankfully you don't get to decide for everyone else. When I'm on the market to replace a vehicle, how much sense does it make to buy a vehicle that doesn't do everything I want and need it to do? How much sense does it make to buy something that can't do one specific critical thing and just say, "I can just rent a vehicle on kayak days."

And what makes you think I paid an "extra $20k?" As fascinated with me as you've become I figured by now you'd be familiar with the year/make/model I bought. HINT: It's already in this thread! I'll throw you a bone on the price since I only mentioned that on another thread. See how nice I am?

Quote:
I'm referring to most people which seem to take offense to. Are you afraid you're not like most people or something?
Yet you quote me specifically almost like you're talking to me. Why do that if you don't expect a reply? And why assume that just because you get a reply it's defensive in nature? Are you not familiar with the concept of a conversation?

Quote:
And here I got you actually counting rooftop carriers in the D.C. Metro giving me some kind of anecdotal practicality analysis.
Don't flatter yourself. I made this same observation over 10 days ago:

Quote:
The whole post was good but this part...Very well said.

In other news, I took the time to look up the seating configurations of some of the minivans mentioned throughout this thread. Interior space-wise, it wouldn't cut it for my family. We haul enough stuff enough of the time that we'd have to keep the third row down. Then we'd be one seat short. And I'm talking just routine in/around town stuff with the double bob stroller, room for groceries, gym bags, in the back, etc. Forget about when we go on a vacation! (Notice how many minivans you see with the roof top storage container? Ever see one of those on a full size SUV?)

As I keep saying: for us the SUV was the more practical vehicle. Better power, interior space, towing capacity and if you have 4wd, better accessibility to places you'd never be able to take a minivan.
I know you'd like to take credit for my observations but I have an inquisitive mind and place all the credit there. I've been counting (it's easy enough to do even while driving) ever since.

Quote:
All that proves is you spent another $20k just to avoid the occasional rooftop carrier.
Quote:

These comments are dripping with desperation. It's a huge assumption and an asinine one to boot. The gap in logic in these statements would get you laughed out of any self respecting philosophy class at your local community college.

Now, with that said, these observations MIGHT be an INDICATION that full size SUVs don't need the roof top cargo carriers because they are better vehicles when combining passengers and their associated baggage.

Quote:
Thing is, I don't really care.
I can tell. You don't care so much you've replied to almost every post I've made in the latter half of this thread.

Quote:
It's an image thing.
Kayaks are ok though. Goes with the "outdoorsman" look they're going for.
Comments like this above...

Quote:
Why can't some accept that a minivan is more practical for some, while SUVs are more practical for some others?
...are why we can't have this.

Worth noting: You won't find such a dismissive comment out of the SUV drivers who've emerged constant contributors to this discussion. To assume it's "image" and that it's the "outdoorsman look they're going for" questions that it's a legit interest and demonstrates an inability to respect others preferences insomuch as it does not lend them legitimacy.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:32 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
I can tell. You don't care so much you've replied to almost every post I've made in the latter half of this thread.
Eventually I just blocked that guy. He never adds anything of value to any thread he participates in.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:

These comments are dripping with desperation. It's a huge assumption and an asinine one to boot. The gap in logic in these statements would get you laughed out of any self respecting philosophy class at your local community college.

Now, with that said, these observations MIGHT be an INDICATION that full size SUVs don't need the roof top cargo carriers because they are better vehicles when combining passengers and their associated baggage.
. You said " MIGHT be an Indication...." That I agree with. Your observation left out other possibilities. I provided one possible reason. I'm sure there are other possibilities. My original statement didn't allow for other possible explanations for why you. Saw what you say you saw. I accept that yours is one possible explanation for what you observed, but I do no think you have studied this issue enough to declare that your answer is the only possible conclusion that can be drawn. My own look into how much room is in SUVs and how much room is in my minivan cause me to doubt your assertion.

Quote:

...are why we can't have this.
I was the one stated that. I have no problem with SUVs. If there were one that met my needs, and that I could afford, I would get it.

Quote:
Worth noting: You won't find such a dismissive comment out of the SUV drivers who've emerged constant contributors to this discussion. To assume it's "image" and that it's the "outdoorsman look they're going for" questions that it's a legit interest and demonstrates an inability to respect others preferences insomuch as it does not lend them legitimacy.

Sure you will. You yourself continue to dismiss minivans and their usefulness. The whole discussion above about car top carriers is you dismissing minivans and their abilities. You continually state how awful they are. I don't know if it was you, but others were saying that they are emasculating to men who drive them. I don't doubt that you agree with that. Others, and possibly you,say that a woman who likes a man with a minivan isn't worth it. How can you be more dismissive than that? Yes, minivans owners throw it back at SUV drivers choosing SUVs solely because of imAge, or to make up for some shortcomings. They are just as wrong for doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive