Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 11:25 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's actually not difficult at all. I have one that's 49 pounds and another that's 56 pounds, but it's not that hard getting them up or down. The key is not being a wuss.

It's even easier when the whole family comes. I just hitch up the trailer. You know: the one that is too big (hitch size) for a minivan to pull.

More presuming to know one's needs better than they know their own. Thankfully you don't get to decide for everyone else. When I'm on the market to replace a vehicle, how much sense does it make to buy a vehicle that doesn't do everything I want and need it to do? How much sense does it make to buy something that can't do one specific critical thing and just say, "I can just rent a vehicle on kayak days."

And what makes you think I paid an "extra $20k?" As fascinated with me as you've become I figured by now you'd be familiar with the year/make/model I bought. HINT: It's already in this thread! I'll throw you a bone on the price since I only mentioned that on another thread. See how nice I am?

Yet you quote me specifically almost like you're talking to me. Why do that if you don't expect a reply? And why assume that just because you get a reply it's defensive in nature? Are you not familiar with the concept of a conversation?

Don't flatter yourself. I made this same observation over 10 days ago:

I know you'd like to take credit for my observations but I have an inquisitive mind and place all the credit there. I've been counting (it's easy enough to do even while driving) ever since.

These comments are dripping with desperation. It's a huge assumption and an asinine one to boot. The gap in logic in these statements would get you laughed out of any self respecting philosophy class at your local community college.

Now, with that said, these observations MIGHT be an INDICATION that full size SUVs don't need the roof top cargo carriers because they are better vehicles when combining passengers and their associated baggage.

I can tell. You don't care so much you've replied to almost every post I've made in the latter half of this thread.

Comments like this above...

...are why we can't have this.

Worth noting: You won't find such a dismissive comment out of the SUV drivers who've emerged constant contributors to this discussion. To assume it's "image" and that it's the "outdoorsman look they're going for" questions that it's a legit interest and demonstrates an inability to respect others preferences insomuch as it does not lend them legitimacy.
I enjoy watching you lose your mind on this stupid thread. You're counting actual rooftop carriers and reporting back to me like I actually care. I don't really care why you think you need an SUV. The fact you have to justify it to strangers is proof enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I enjoy watching you lose your mind on this stupid thread. You're counting actual rooftop carriers and reporting back to me like I actually care. I don't really care why you think you need an SUV. The fact you have to justify it to strangers is proof enough.
The fact that you keep replying just to "enjoy watching (him) lose (his) mind" is proof enough that you're a borderline sociopath... Get a grip, dude.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:06 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Go for it...if it is a 6 cylinder automatic...lettem' eat your dust...and in case of destitution?
You can sleep in it. Darken the windows and it's an RV! A home on the road!
Actually I have been toying with the idea for quite a while, remove the seats and get a mattress, but what about ventilation?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
. You said " MIGHT be an Indication...." That I agree with. Your observation left out other possibilities. I provided one possible reason. I'm sure there are other possibilities. My original statement didn't allow for other possible explanations for why you. Saw what you say you saw. I accept that yours is one possible explanation for what you observed, but I do no think you have studied this issue enough to declare that your answer is the only possible conclusion that can be drawn. My own look into how much room is in SUVs and how much room is in my minivan cause me to doubt your assertion.
Hence the words "might" and "indication." By no means do I believe the possibility I offered is the sole definitive explanation as was presented by you and Ziggy. You both used the word "proves" which would theoretically render the matter closed. I've allowed for other explanations by avoiding such a misguided positive statement. Offering one possibility isn't the same thing as leaving other possibilities out.

Quote:
Sure you will.
Actually you don't. Go back and look at the actual statement I made:

Quote:
Worth noting: You won't find such a dismissive comment out of the SUV drivers who've emerged constant contributors to this discussion.
We've had a few driveby comments from people who apparently don't like minivans but those who have made those comments have not emerged as SUV boosters either, nor have they emerged as constant contributors. Those who have, me, Tiffer, and Nlambert, have only been dismissive of minivans for our needs but each of us have acknowledged they are suitable for others' needs. I've not seen that kind of acknowledgement from the minivan boosters.

Quote:
You yourself continue to dismiss minivans and their usefulness.
I've stated they don't work for me personally. I've actually not dismissed them across the board and have repeatedly encouraged people to get whatever is best for them. If you feel I've communicated otherwise I challenge you to quote those posts.

Quote:
The whole discussion above about car top carriers is you dismissing minivans and their abilities.
Much has been made about cargo space so the top carriers are a fair counter observation. And it's a fair observation because I see dozens of them throughout the week. This isn't the same thing as being dismissive.

Quote:
You continually state how awful they are.
If by "continually" you mean "used that word 'awful' one time in this entire thread to describe minvans" then yes. But applying a more conventional definition of "continually" renders this statement inaccurate. Regardless of if I've used it once or a hundred times, anytime anyone voices an opinion, (ie: "Minivans are awful.") it is relative to their own baseline. I don't like them but my opinion of them is relevant only to me. You shouldn't let my opinion ruin your day so easily.

Also, in the interest of intellectual honesty, you should also note that I recognize that I don't presume to know what's better for someone more so than they do. For example, in the same post I voiced my opinion that minivans are awful, I said:

Quote:
With that said, OP if you want a minivan and can afford to do it, go for it! You like what you like for your reasons and you owe nobody and explanation for any of it!
Quote:
I don't know if it was you, but others were saying that they are emasculating to men who drive them.
Wasn't me, so this is irrelevant.

Before associating a post with a specific member you should take the time to review the thread. Funny how you can't recognize the "to each his own" approach to minivans that I've ACTUALLY VOICED but you'll associate me with arguments OTHER MEMBERS have made.

Quote:
I don't doubt that you agree with that.
I'll own everything I've said on this thread, but you don't get to put words in my mouth or thoughts in my head. I'll defend every statement I've made, not the ones you WISH I made.

Quote:
Others, and possibly you,say that a woman who likes a man with a minivan isn't worth it. How can you be more dismissive than that?
Again, there's no "possibly." Critique my actual arguments. What you've done here is cheaper than a Tijuana *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Right, right, I get it. You don't care. I gotcha. You don't care and you need to make sure I know you don't care. Got it. You don't care. I'm with you. All your replies saying you don't care have made it very clear to me: You don't care.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
This is precisely why I respond. You cannot possibly know what most people would need. Neither can I. The best thing to do is list the pros and cons of each, and allow people to choose for themselves. When you constantly attempt to downplay an SUV it is very clear how you feel about them and can quickly skew information that people may be looking for.

You ask why I justify my personal vehicle choice. I have explained the usefulness that it has for my family. Not that no one should buy one, nor do I presume (as you do) that an SUV will work for everyone.
It depends on how you define "needs".

Some people need a vehicle not just for getting from point A to point B with plenty of cargo and passenger capacity. They want something fun to drive, visually appealing, perceived to be chick magnet, etc.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:13 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It depends on how you define "needs".

Some people need a vehicle not just for getting from point A to point B with plenty of cargo and passenger capacity. They want something fun to drive, visually appealing, perceived to be chick magnet, etc.
You're saying the above while being the guy who started this thread and described himself as a " middle aged 30 year old".

Old 07-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I guess you've never heard of the BMW X5M/X6M, Porsche Cayenne S/GTS/Turbo, Mercedes ML63/GLE63.

You're not getting it. You can buy a midsize SUV with the acceleration of a sports car. You CANNOT buy a minivan like that, and that's what I'd want out of a minivan. If you need a people mover but also want it to be sporty, you don't have a choice with a minivan. An SUV is the only way to go.

Not a difficult concept.
Acceleration alone doesn't mimic a sports car experience, handling can be more important.

No SUV drives like a Mazda Miata.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're saying the above while being the guy who started this thread and described himself as a " middle aged 30 year old".
Yes.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The fact that you keep replying just to "enjoy watching (him) lose (his) mind" is proof enough that you're a borderline sociopath... Get a grip, dude.
Don't act like you don't find this entertaining otherwise you'd have moved on by now.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
That's an interesting point because much has been made about interior cargo space of a minivan, even when passengers are involved. And yet, it's not uncommon to see a minivan with the exterior storage case strapped to the top. I don't think I've ever seen a full size SUV with one of those. Just an observation...
The SUV luggage carrying capacity often dies off, too, if they employ the third row seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive