Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 10:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The first time someone is killed in or by a self-driving car, the whole thing will vanish and be just a blip in history.
Already happened and no...it hasn't.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 12:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I remember when I was a kid back in the 80s, everyone thought we'd all be driving around in hovering cars by now (think Back to the Future II). The truth is, things haven't advanced all that much since then. I'm 37 and I don't see driverless cars becoming the norm in my lifetime. In 2020 pretty much all vehicles sold will still have a steering wheel, and the average vehicle stays on the road for at least 15 years, so we're looking at normal cars being in the road at least until 2035.

Driverless cars may come onto the market, but they're going to have to coexist with normal ones driven by humans. If it turns out driverless cars cause a lot of accidents, it'll turn into a huge liability for the automakers and they'll bail, so there's not much room for error. Americans love to sue automakers, and driverless cars will create an even bigger opportunity.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-02-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I remember when I was a kid back in the 80s, everyone thought we'd all be driving around in hovering cars by now (think Back to the Future II). The truth is, things haven't advanced all that much since then. I'm 37 and I don't see driverless cars becoming the norm in my lifetime. In 2020 pretty much all vehicles sold will still have a steering wheel, and the average vehicle stays on the road for at least 15 years, so we're looking at normal cars being in the road at least until 2035.

Driverless cars may come onto the market, but they're going to have to coexist with normal ones driven by humans. If it turns out driverless cars cause a lot of accidents, it'll turn into a huge liability for the automakers and they'll bail, so there's not much room for error. Americans love to sue automakers, and driverless cars will create an even bigger opportunity.
Cars will have steering wheels for a long time. People like me enjoy driving cars but on a 10 hour trip like I just took, I'm ok with a nap or a movie or something while the car drives itself.

Driverless cars will statistically have fewer accidents. I almost got ran off the road 3 times yesterday by people drifting into my lane as i passed them on a corner. I saw about 8 wrecks and one car on fire. At one point I was at a complete stop while everybody in my lane gawked at a fender bender on the opposite side of the interstate. I have people passing me at 95 mph, then slowly drifting back to 60 mph just to realize they needed to pass me again. People get bored on long trips and break up the boredom by either driving like idiots or playing in their phone. The fewer human drivers the better.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Cars will have steering wheels for a long time. People like me enjoy driving cars but on a 10 hour trip like I just took, I'm ok with a nap or a movie or something while the car drives itself.
I doubt any auto manufacturer is ever going to tell you it's okay to nap or watch a movie. They will always put the responsibilty on the owner and expect you to be alert. If there's ever an error and the accident report comes back that you were asleep, you pretty much have zero right to sue, in fact you may be the one getting sued. I doubt your auto insurance would even cover something like that.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I doubt any auto manufacturer is ever going to tell you it's okay to nap or watch a movie. They will always put the responsibilty on the owner and expect you to be alert. If there's ever an error and the accident report comes back that you were asleep, you pretty much have zero right to sue, in fact you may be the one getting sued. I doubt your auto insurance would even cover something like that.
This is an example of how Volvo is implementing it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...lf-driving-car

Basically what we have now is level 2. Volvo is skipping to Level
4. If you give a human an inch they'll take a foot, so you either have to fully automate it or humans won't pay attention anyway.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
The first time someone is killed in or by a self-driving car, the whole thing will vanish and be just a blip in history.
Quote:
Becuse human driving cars are so much safer?
It's not hard to get a better safety record than human drivers have now.
We you saying this about cruise control when it first came out?

Safety records won't matter. The human response to a death caused by a driverless car, will doom it. And I've always recognized cruise-control as dangerous. It takes a driver's mind off the task of managing the throttle and awareness of everything else is also diminished. It would be so much easier to fall asleep at the wheel, with cruise-control. Even automatic transmissions make it too easy to drive and dilute the attention to the task. Four-on-the-floor, with a clutch, would be the only way to go, if I drove a car.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Safety records won't matter. The human response to a death caused by a driverless car, will doom it. And I've always recognized cruise-control as dangerous. It takes a driver's mind off the task of managing the throttle and awareness of everything else is also diminished. It would be so much easier to fall asleep at the wheel, with cruise-control. Even automatic transmissions make it too easy to drive and dilute the attention to the task. Four-on-the-floor, with a clutch, would be the only way to go, if I drove a car.
And yet cruise control and automatics live on. In fact, do they even make cars without cruise control anymore?
I agree if cars still required all 4 of your appendages to operate, had no radio or cruise control, we probably wouldn't need driverless cars.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:56 PM

5 posts, read 8,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Uber has them driving around Pittsburgh for about a year now.
True, but there is a person behind the wheel, taking over as needed.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo View Post
True, but there is a person behind the wheel, taking over as needed.
That's a test vehicle. Its just doing right so world testing. That's where the driverless car will get its data. Baby steps.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that ...

Quote:
That's a test vehicle. Its just doing right so world testing. That's where the driverless car will get its data. Baby steps.
Surely you meant to say Roomba steps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive