Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
They have serious transmission issues across multiple models! Especially on the 6 cylinder engines. The media has been very lax on hammering on Honda. Maybe that's why after numerous redesigns they still had issues. An American car company would not survive this issue. Other than that and some minor issues they are a good reliable car, unfortunately a transmission IS a very expensive part of the power train.
Their automatic transmissions have never been their strongest area. They've always been known as having great manual gearboxes. If they were smart they'd just have GM supply the transmissions and stick with the other aspects of auto making they're good at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
All so the number #1 highest in insurance because they are souped up more than on other car in America.
Too funny.

Insurance rates are higher because: 1. They are stolen for parts frequently. 2. Data shows the types of people who drive them are more like to get into accidents with larger claims (meaning younger people drive them most often). POssibly also becuase the cost of repairs are higher, but

Souped up has nothing to do with insurance premiums.

By More than, do you mean more often, or more dramatically? Where did you get that information? What is the meaning of "souped up" as you mean it? Riced out or actual improvements that increase performance?
If you mean riced out, I think you are wrong, WRX is the clear winner in the most commonly riced competition. If you mean the latter, why would someone spend moeny souping up a Honda?. While they are fine transportation cars, you can get a lot more from a lot less out of other brands/models.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you mean riced out, I think you are wrong, WRX is the clear winner in the most commonly riced competition. If you mean the latter, why would someone spend moeny souping up a Honda?. While they are fine transportation cars, you can get a lot more from a lot less out of other brands/models.

Wrong, Hondas have been the winners at being the most riced out and the most modified for performance than WRXs by a long shot, and have a much larger aftermarket presence. For a while it was said that the Civic was the '55-57 Chevy of the modern era, and for much the same reasons: they responded well to modification, were cheap to buy, and common enough to garner a large aftermarket, just like the tri-5 Chevies were back in the day.

More Hondas are racing than WRXs, more Hondas were turned into show cars than WRXs, and more Hondas were street mod cars than WRXs, simply because there were 100 times as many MADE as WRXs, over a longer period.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:06 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you take in account reliability, diversity, fun to drive, technological and cost it would seem to me like Honda would be considered the best automaker. Toyota's seem too boring, Mazda's not enough diversity, BMW are too expensive etc.

Plus it seems like all of their models sell very well. Not always the top in sales within their class but usually top 3 or 4. Anyone agree?
Twin-H Hudson is the best.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Too funny.

Insurance rates are higher because: 1. They are stolen for parts frequently. 2. Data shows the types of people who drive them are more like to get into accidents with larger claims (meaning younger people drive them most often). POssibly also becuase the cost of repairs are higher, but

Souped up has nothing to do with insurance premiums.

By More than, do you mean more often, or more dramatically? Where did you get that information? What is the meaning of "souped up" as you mean it? Riced out or actual improvements that increase performance?
just telling you what all the others already know ,you're right I guess they (civics) get into more accidents becuase they are raced and souped up more.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:54 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You're mad they won't put a new engine in your 10 year old car for free? Lol.

I did not say that.

It was a known design flaw that Honda corporate withheld from their customers and certainly did not require a new engine to correct. They knew in 2011.
The Honda dealer withheld the information despite my question about requiring topping off between oil changes until my car was safely beyond the 125,000 mile coverage. After bringing this to the attention of Honda Global, they directed me to an alternate dealer who 'lost' the records of 1/3 of the consumption test data which pushed me to 130,000 miles requiring yet another test process that would put me at 133,000 miles and result in greatly diminished options for correcting the flaw.

It took a class action lawsuit before Honda even admitted to the problem and the warranty extension was part of the settlement while sweeping it under the rug.
Bad business.

When I approached the dealer regarding the VTC actuator problem, I was told there was no fix for it other than replacing it with another defective part that would also fail.
Again, bad business

I have thought about spray painting the NHTSA #'s of the chronic flaws and leaving it on the doorstep of the dealer when it dies. 10108322 (TSB ID: A12-087) and 10108045 (TSB ID: A15110E)

As a direct result of my treatment, I have zero faith in Honda. I simply expect them to stand behind their product and correct their own mistakes. Piston rings and a $133 part would have solved all of that.

I have no problems at all with my Mazda. The dealer has called me to let me know about important TSB's and also let's me know when firmware updates are available so those can be scheduled during the next service appointment. They have been great.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 AM

14 posts, read 14,249 times
Quote:
How long have you been working for FCA?

Comedian?

I drive a Dodge RAM and if I were to buy a new pick up today, I would get another RAM. But most reliable? No not even in the picture. I choose RAM knowing it will not be reliable and that things will break constantly once it gets around 70K miles. However RAM offers other things that are important enough to me I tolerate the endless litany for broken things.
Do your research.Ive been in the car business over 30 years and have owned over 1k cars personally.The dodge products since 2011 have far surpassed almost everyone. The transmissions are Zf,the motors are bulletproof,the styling is far above anyone else,hence why they continue to set sales records. The rwd cars they offer are much more reliable than almost anything on the road. 300-400k miles on them constantly with no problems and still drive like new. The Ram trucks last mire than any truck on the road. I have hondas,gm,and ford amobg with many others ive had on my lot.Im simply amazed at how much people avoid dodge products because of their quality 20 years ago.They are much more improved as all of thwir bailout money went to quality improvement and it shows.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Surprised he didn't sprinkle a Fiat in there
Fiat quality is crap,and they really offer nothing the public wants

Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
You know you've made a ridiculous post when people can't tell if it's serious or satire.
I only state fact. Research it,go drive them.talk to owners if them and you will see. The have the best motors,best transmissions in the business(zf) same as bmw mercedes,honda,etc. Their interior quality is the same exact quality and material and company that supplies BMW. Lots of their cars on the road continually hit 300-400k miles without having a ticking timebomb like a honda or toyota.Trust me,ive been burned on my fair share of camrys and accords that supposedly had all their service records

Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhshelby89 View Post
I only state fact. Research it,go drive them.talk to owners if them and you will see. The have the best motors,best transmissions in the business(zf) same as bmw mercedes,honda,etc. Their interior quality is the same exact quality and material and company that supplies BMW. Lots of their cars on the road continually hit 300-400k miles without having a ticking timebomb like a honda or toyota.Trust me,ive been burned on my fair share of camrys and accords that supposedly had all their service records
This is very creative, alas it is also untrue.

I have researched them and owned them, and meet with their engineers and management as well as engineers and management of other makers. Sorry, but generalizations do not work and show that someone has not actually done valid research or have any knowledge. To say they have the best transmissions int eh business (and then to add same as "Honda" who frequently has terrible automatic transmissions) or to assert they are all built by ZF just shows this post is either complete fabrication or gross generalizations by someone with no actual knowledge of how the manufacturing system works.

rather than making wild generalizations that everyone knows are not true, why not just say "I have a Dodge and I really like it and I hope it will last a long time"

It this the same poster who claims to have owned 1000 cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive