Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:38 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Even if that doesn't go through it was projected that the credit would cut in half sometime next year and would be completely gone in 2019 so no matter what I think that's ending
But wasn't the dates for these reduction in subsidy amounts based on delivered sales? If the dates were selected based on company self projections as to the number of vehicles placed in service by end users and they are still within their program sunset date, there would be no actual reductions. All a delay in deliveries does is push those subsidy reduction dates further out. It's only program subsidy sunset dates are a drop date date that does not move, but, the percentage of subsidy amount dates are based on deliveries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times
I personally would LOVE to see the dealership business model die! There's too many blood sucking middle men involved that take the lions share of the profit while providing little in return, that's why costs are sky high when you get your car serviced there. At the very least the fat needs to be severely trimmed if the dealership business model is to continue.

To be honest I can't wait for an upheaval in this industry in general. I can't wait for dealers to be scrambling to find competent techs, and no one is willing to work for them anymore because they've screwed techs over so much with warranty times and other corporate politic BS that they just refuse to work for them. Then and only then will this industry change.

I'd love to see it move towards companies selling directly to customers, but car manufacturers like the dealer business model as someone else has to foot the bill to have the franchise and the manufacturer gets to dictate everything without actually paying for it. They like it because it transfer all the risk to the one running the dealership. Would love to see some of those bloodsucking leeches at dealerships forced to get real jobs because the money ***** that is a dealership dries up.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I personally would LOVE to see the dealership business model die! There's too many blood sucking middle men involved that take the lions share of the profit while providing little in return, that's why costs are sky high when you get your car serviced there. At the very least the fat needs to be severely trimmed if the dealership business model is to continue.

To be honest I can't wait for an upheaval in this industry in general. I can't wait for dealers to be scrambling to find competent techs, and no one is willing to work for them anymore because they've screwed techs over so much with warranty times and other corporate politic BS that they just refuse to work for them. Then and only then will this industry change.

I'd love to see it move towards companies selling directly to customers, but car manufacturers like the dealer business model as someone else has to foot the bill to have the franchise and the manufacturer gets to dictate everything without actually paying for it. They like it because it transfer all the risk to the one running the dealership. Would love to see some of those bloodsucking leeches at dealerships forced to get real jobs because the money ***** that is a dealership dries up.
As a business model it’s not practical. The dealership model will continue forever because car manufacturers don’t want to own a global network of dealership overhead cost. Tesla’s Service Department isn’t cheap by any means and no 3rd party mechanic can work on them. You’ll gladly pay them whatever it is they’re asking with no other options available to you. Unlike traditional dealerships you can’t even shop around at another dealer since they’re all under the same ownership.

People find dealerships to be a hassle because they want a car for less than MSRP. Otherwise paying full asking price for any car is effortless regardless if a franchise or the manufacturer is selling it to you.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:11 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I find dealerships very useful even though I do not use them for regular maintenance.

It is a good place to shop for and test drive cars and if you buy one it is easy to trade in.

An excellent place to get recall and TSB work done. Often better than other places for accident repairs.

As long as you are a capable shopper for vehicles and service there is no good alternative.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:56 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Amazon and Netflix are both profitable companies with low overhead cost and unique business models. Tesla is the polar opposite of both those companies.
Amazon was founded in 1995 and didn’t become profitable until 2001.
Netflix was founded in 1997 and didn’t become profitable until 2003.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:18 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Tesla was founded in 2003 and never became profitable.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:17 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
What I don't get is that people either don't know or don't care that they're locked out of service options for Tesla vehicles. About the only thing end users can do is change tires, wiper blades and wash it. It seems like once the warranty runs out there's no compelling reason to keep it around unless one has deep pockets.

Like a YouTuber recently posted, you can walk in and buy battery packs, drive motors and all the high voltage parts at Toyota for a Prius, but Tesla won't sell much of anything but some floor mats. Elon's arrogance will catch up with him sooner or later.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Did either of those depend on government subsidies to start up and/or keep going like Tesla?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:11 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Why all the hate over tesla? I wish there would be 10 more elon musks out there building something different.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:14 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why all the hate over tesla? I wish there would be 10 more elon musks out there building something different.
Alot of it boils down to a fear of change. Many old timers that bash Tesla are scared of new products and innovations possibly people who also own stock in oil companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive