Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:33 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Soooo, stopped at a gas station with about 16 pumps today at a fairly busy truckstop in the midwest.

Took a couple minutes to finally get an open pump.

About half the pumps were not in use, but had cars parked in front of them.

One couple walked out to their car and then STARTED fueling while I was there and another finished fueling then walked in and left their car sitting in front of the pump.

Anyone else ever notice this? Most of the time it's not a big deal but the place was pretty busy so a lot of us were waiting for a place to open up.

Just kinda bizarre to watch, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are either too dumb or self absorbed to know better.
I often have issues to pay at US fuel pumps, because they do not accept overseas credit cards ( I currently have only German and Dutch cards), ask for the ZIP code and then tell "please see cashier". Then, I have to go in, pay and sign the bill, and the fuel will be switched on for the respective pump. Then again, when I press that I wish a receipt, the pump tells me "receipt with cashier" and again I have to walk in to pick up my receipt. This used to be much less a couple of years ago, but these days almost every pump makes trouble with the ZIP code.

However what I often notice at fuel stations is that people, especially rental car drivers, do not know on which side of the car they have their fuel door. A little hint: That little arrow next to the fuel pump symbol gives a little clue: https://blog.allstate.com/wp-content...row-iStock.jpg

Old 08-07-2017, 03:29 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I know I'm being silly, but I absolutely CANNOT STAND having to stop and get gas. I mean I can't STAND IT.

However it's not necessarily for these reasons. It's because it's an interruption to what I'm doing at the moment, I see the needle on E and I'm like "ugh, I'm in the MIDDLE of something here!" I honestly wish they could make cars be to where you could top off 6 months worth of gas at the times. Yes, SIX MONTHS, and yet WITHOUT the car being so huge.

The things that irritate me are the gas pump malfunctioning to where the outdoor car reader doesn't work for some reason, forcing you to go inside where you get stuck behind those freaking LOTTERY TICKET people, I'm like "go gamble on a boat on your OWN time!" Meanwhile you forget to note what pump number you were and from inside you can't tell so you have to go outside AGAIN just to see what pump number it is. Then you finally pay only to go back outside and it STILL doesn't work because they pressed the wrong button, so you have to go inside AGAIN to tell them AGAIN which one you are, and then upon pumping if you got (say) $20 worth then at $19.50 it starts going SLOWLY, sometimes taking nearly as long to do the final 50 cents as the first $19.50.

Annoying, SUPER annoying. I've got things to do, I'm right in the middle of something here. Ugh!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Some of you should consider de-caf.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I know I'm being silly, but I absolutely CANNOT STAND having to stop and get gas. I mean I can't STAND IT.

However it's not necessarily for these reasons. It's because it's an interruption to what I'm doing at the moment, I see the needle on E and I'm like "ugh, I'm in the MIDDLE of something here!" I honestly wish they could make cars be to where you could top off 6 months worth of gas at the times. Yes, SIX MONTHS, and yet WITHOUT the car being so huge.
By a show of hands; who'd prefer their car run on hopes and dreams, than to spend money on gas?

Old 08-07-2017, 05:05 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
I have not read through this thread but my #1 complaint at a gas station are those that start the pump and then go into the store. If you need to shop, finish pumping and then go park in a parking spot so that you aren't holding up everyone else that is waiting. This is 100% inconsiderate to everyone else. If you have to pay cash that's one thing but don't shop while you are in there. Pay, pump, park, shop. One time I remember pumping at the same time as the car next to me, I stayed to pump while he went inside to shop. As I was pumping I heard his pump shut off as his tank was full. Once I was full, I pulled up to a parking spot, went inside and grabbed a drink. The guy driving the other car walked out at the same time as I did, he had a line of cars waiting behind him, while the pump that I was at was already being used by someone else.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:10 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I agree with that, you not be shopping while others wait. But to go in to pay in cash, then have the nerve to return for your change, is not something to be criticized for.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
You know what helps; buying your petty bullspit at the same time you go inside to pay for gas, then filling up and moving your heap. Besides why use a card at the pump anyway? It's not even so much the skimmers but the fact that the payment might not even go through for a day or so. Even if a station seemingly doesn't have spaces, the pumps are still not a place to park, if you're not getting gas.

Another thing that annoys me is the lack of segregation of pumps. Diesel and E85 should have their own pumps versus being shared with a gas hose.
Diesel and E85 are different hoses all together might be at the same pump but different hoses.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo at user's request.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 AM

136 posts, read 136,048 times
There's an unstaffed gas station with an automatic car wash in the shopping center where my gym is. Three islands with two double pumps each. Never a line. No coffee, drinks, smokes, lottery tickets, junk food, sandwiches, or anything else most of these people ought to be fixing at home or buying in a grocery. Also, no cash. If you don't have a card you can't buy gas there. If you need air there's a pump on the other side of the car wash, but you gotta have quarters.

Swipe your card.

Enter your zip code or PIN.

Car wash? Yes or no.

Pump your gas.

Grab your receipt.

Be on your way.

Pure heaven!!!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Gas Station Idiots ??

As in NJ and Oregon ? (where you cannot pump your own Gasoline?)

Many passing through OR from Canada (in their Diesels) get a tank full of Gasoline courtesy of the Pump Jockeys not allowing them to 'self' fill. Of course the victims get to :
1) pay for the Gas
2) Get stranded and miss plans
3) pay for the tow
4) Pay to have tank drained and HAZARDOUS disposal fee for the gas they just paid for
5) Pay to Refill will Diesel
6) Get to buy a new injector pump in the next few months ($800 - $4000)

Nice!
Don't have a diesel but I would rather fill my own gas as well (Live in NJ). Idiot at the pump let the cap slam against the car, was about to put regular when I said premium (luckily I caught this). Next sports car I get I will get out myself and ensure that it is done correctly

Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:

Good luck with that.

Quote:
The things that irritate me are the gas pump malfunctioning to where the outdoor car reader doesn't work for some reason, forcing you to go inside where you get stuck behind those freaking LOTTERY TICKET people, I'm like "go gamble on a boat on your OWN time!" Meanwhile you forget to note what pump number you were and from inside you can't tell so you have to go outside AGAIN just to see what pump number it is. Then you finally pay only to go back outside and it STILL doesn't work because they pressed the wrong button, so you have to go inside AGAIN to tell them AGAIN which one you are, and then upon pumping if you got (say) $20 worth then at $19.50 it starts going SLOWLY, sometimes taking nearly as long to do the final 50 cents as the first $19.50.

Annoying, SUPER annoying. I've got things to do, I'm right in the middle of something here. Ugh!
How do you get through life if this is what upsets you so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive