Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Don't have a diesel but I would rather fill my own gas as well (Live in NJ). Idiot at the pump let the cap slam against the car, was about to put regular when I said premium (luckily I caught this). Next sports car I get I will get out myself and ensure that it is done correctly
In OR they won't let you do it yourself. I tolerated it the first times. But the last few times I had to go through OR, I made sure to time gasups so I wouldn't have to buy it in that state. The requirement for a staffer to do the work slows down the lines more than people paying cash do.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I wish they'd put diesel on every island but they don't. People get all bent out of shape when I don't pull to the forward pump and usually they look pretty stupid when I point out there is no green handle over there on that one. One guy wanted to go to blows until he realized I was quite a bit bigger than him.

I also don't flash cash as the pan handlers will be all over you.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:22 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
........."I have also been to stations that are lazy about keeping receipt paper stocked in the pumps, so I've had to go inside for my receipt"..............

I found out the hard way that if you leave the pump and another driver resets the pump and starts fueling up before you get your receipt from the cashier inside, then they can't provide you with a receipt.

This is another reason why people don't immediately pull away from the pump when they're finished fueling.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I pulled into Sam's Club gasoline line. Finally, I'm next-in-line as the car in front of me pulls up to the pump. Nothing happens. Eventually, the door opens, and the driver (woman) sticks her head out the door, looking backwards. Nothing is happening. Is she looking at me? Eventually, I figured out she was trying to open the door to the fuel cap.

Without much success.

Perhaps this is a rental... it is a white 4 door sedan with California plates (this incident occurs in Las Vegas). After a bit, the trunk pops open, she exits the car, and she slooooowly saunters back to close the trunk (it was completely full -- actually overstuffed).

... and she slooooowly saunters back to the driver's seat and several minutes later figures out how to pop the fuel door.

Shouldn't there be an IQ test to rent a car?

Then, she sloooowly exits the car, goes to the gas pump, and then starts looking for her Sam's Club membership card.

By this time, I realize the lanes around me have all gone forward by a car - had I entered one of those lines, I'd probably be done and departed, but I'm stuck behind a moron.

Gee, where did she put that Sam's Club card? She appears baffled. She's dumbfounded. She's looking in her purse as if it were the Black Hole of Calcutta. She slooooowly saunters back to the car, asks her passenger, a man, who hands her a card.

She sloooowly walks back to the gas pump. She hasn't a care in the world. She must realize the line of cars waiting behind her is 4 or 5 deep, but that doesn't seem to connect her to any sense of urgency. Yes, just let the people behind her wait. It's not like they have anything better to do than wait for her to finish up. And of course there was no need for her to have her Sam's Club membership card ready to go, because of course, she doesn't need to be rushed. And everyone else can just wait.

She can't seem to get her Sam's Club membership card to work. For those of you unfamiliar with the process, you insert and remove your membership card as if it were a credit card. For some people the membership card actually is a credit card; for others, it is not and you must then subsequently insert a credit card, and then of course it asks you to enter your billing Zip Code.

You know your Zip Code, don't you, Mrs. Moron Driver of the White Rental Car, don't you??? Would that be too much for me to expect???

I think she's trying to use her membership card as a credit card, and it isn't working. After about 5 tries, she switches to use a separate credit card.

I realize the lanes around me have all gone forward another car or so.

I see her first insert her membership card, then a separate credit card, and eventually punch various things on the screen which I presume is her Zip Code info and answers if she wants a printed receipt.

What? It isn't working? How could that be?

She tries another credit card going sloooowly throught the process of first entering her membership card and then another credit card.

That doesn't work either.

I notice more cars have gone through the lanes surrounding me. I'm stuck.

She sloooowly saunters back to the car, talks to the passenger through the open driver's door window, and he rummages around, and eventually hands her a credit card.

Nice and sloooowly she saunters back to the gas pump.

Did I mention it was a hot day? About 107 degrees F or so?

She once again looks for her Sam's Club Card. Now, which pocket did she put it in? Back left? Nooo... Back right? Noooo... Maybe it was the Front right? Front Left? Nooo... She tries the Back left once again... There it is. It was hiding from her. Those pesky credit cards have minds of their own.

Thank goodness she's not in a hurry. And of course, those of us waiting in line behind her don't have anything better to do, right?

So, now she's re-found her Sam's Club membership card, entered it, and enters the new credit card. And its zip code. Gee, it doesn't seem to be working. She tries again. Same result. She tries again. Same result.

What was Einstein's comment about doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result?

By now, I'm looking for the attendant, hoping to flag him to help her. Or get rid of her. I don't see him.

But I do notice another car or two have gone by in the lanes surrounding me.

She sloooowly saunters back to the car.. wait, she stops. She inspects her fingernail. You know the type of fake fingernail that is maybe 2 or 3 inches long? Must be something interesting there. After 10 or 15 seconds, which isn't that much but seems like an eternity, she resumes her leisurely stroll back to the car, leans in through the driver's window and has a conversation with her passenger. He spends some time fumbling with something or other and then hands her yet another credit card. I notice her rear end makes Kim Kardashian's look small.

And she takes a nice leisurely stroll back to the gas pump.

You already know what comes next.

Nope, this credit card doesn't work either.

She tries a total a 5 credit cards -- FIVE F*ING credit cards -- without luck.

Each time, she hasn't a care in the world. She has plenty of time.

Finally, the 6th card (or was it 7th?) works.

And she selects the gas type (regular), and finally inserts the nozzle into her gas filler.

And dispenses exactly $1.03 of gasoline. How do I know? Because eventually I get to the pump & can see. And slowly puts the nozzle back in the pump. And waits for her oh-so-important credit card receipt.

And sloooowly, leisurely saunters back to the car, stopping to inspect that fingernail again. That gasoline pump better not have damaged her nail or she's gonna sue, I imagine her thinking to herself.

And slowly takes off.

Well, the good news, if you can call it that, is I do not have a firearm with me. If I did, my encounter with her would have ended up on the evening news.
Well worth the read. How frustrated you must have been.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog811 View Post
There's an unstaffed gas station with an automatic car wash in the shopping center where my gym is. Three islands with two double pumps each. Never a line. No coffee, drinks, smokes, lottery tickets, junk food, sandwiches, or anything else most of these people ought to be fixing at home or buying in a grocery. Also, no cash. If you don't have a card you can't buy gas there. If you need air there's a pump on the other side of the car wash, but you gotta have quarters.

Swipe your card.

Enter your zip code or PIN.

Car wash? Yes or no.

Pump your gas.

Grab your receipt.

Be on your way.

Pure heaven!!!
Indeed! That's my kind of gas station.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
By a show of hands; who'd prefer their car run on hopes and dreams, than to spend money on gas?
It has nothing to do with money...it's going and getting it. My aunt had a farm...and their own fuel pump. I was envious.

My number one reason for getting a Prius next time.

What's worse? I have a compulsion to get gas when the tank is half full. Gotta... if we need to bug out inthe middle of the night...I want to hit the road...

Old 08-07-2017, 01:29 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It has nothing to do with money...it's going and getting it. My aunt had a farm...and their own fuel pump. I was envious.

What's worse? I have a compulsion to get gas when the tank is half full. Gotta... if we need to bug out inthe middle of the night...I want to hit the road...
That's so funny, when I switched from a regular car to a hybrid I too STILL feel compelled to gas up with the same frequency, which now is when the tank is still half full.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:36 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:

I never, EVER, go on a road trip without filling my tank all the way up. The night before, if I am leaving in the morning. I want to be able to just jump in my car and GO.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:

Money wasn't the point of my comment either. And a car will survive with half a tank of gas, at the least 40miles of travel. My car can do it, I'm sure its bigger than yours.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:05 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Money wasn't the point of my comment either. And a car will survive with half a tank of gas, at the least 40miles of travel. My car can do it, I'm sure its bigger than yours.
Ut oh! now we're into a size discussion...!!! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive