Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Another gas station idiocy story. I was filling up at a one-island, two pump full service station with the lowest prices in town. The attendant motions to me to back up so I do. Another car comes in off the street to take my place. I ask him nicely to move and he refuses. I do something very rare for me; I scream "[Mod cut.]" at the top of my lungs. He moves. After I fill up we have a nice conversation but I told him I don't appreciate being played for a fool.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-08-2017 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Vulgar language.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
What I like is at a busy station and people waiting for a pump to open up people slowly clean their windshield, move real slow, it takes them a minute to get in their car and fasten the seat belt and finally slowly pull out.
The whole free gas station window wash thing gets on my nerves. There are people who never wash their car at home judging by the filth on their paint. However, at the gas station, they'll use the sponge/squeegee to clean all 6-8 of their windows. And of course, they fling the water in any old direction regardless of who or what is there.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:30 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The whole free gas station window wash thing gets on my nerves. There are people who never wash their car at home judging by the filth on their paint. However, at the gas station, they'll use the sponge/squeegee to clean all 6-8 of their windows. And of course, they fling the water in any old direction regardless of who or what is there.
It's a throwback from the 1960's and early 1970's when almost all stations were full service and that included windshield cleaning, oil and sometimes transmission fluid check.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Most cars today should go well over 40 miles on a half of tank of gas, Some cars almost average that on a single gallon, and many small cars do beat that on a single gallon.
I just did 300 miles on a little over half a (15 gallon) tank on Saturday. Mostly highway with some back roads.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I have left on a road trip with less than a full tank; other than that one time I do the same as you.

During nontrip times, I fill up the tank at or before it is down to half. In winter sometimes it is only down a quarter tank. I don't drive every day and a full tank means less opportunity for moisture in the tank.
My longest regular road trip is from Albany to Saranac Lake. There are no rest areas with gas on the Northway, so I always start full, and then gas up in Ray Brook, which is about 15-20 minutes from my brother's house, either on the way up or on the way back.

My other regular trip is to Lenox, MA, with only a fill-up before leaving. I can do that trip on a quarter tank because it's only about 60 miles one way.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,499,597 times
This one doesn't really bother me but just sticks out as dumb. You go to a BJ's or a Costco and they have fillups that extend to reach either side of the vehicle for every pump. This way it does not matter what side you pull up to. My filler is on the passenger side so I always snicker at the lines of people waiting for the pump on the drivers side as I swing by and pull into an empty bay and fillup. I sometimes get dirty looks but it's not my fault you can't read signs.

When we take my wife's Jeep whose filler is on the driver side I still pull into the passenger bay and walk around with the hose. Again, dirty looks ensue but it just boggles my mind that people are good to sit in there cars for 5-10 minutes waiting.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
I prepay cash when I fill my car. When I want to guarantee that the car is filled I over pay. I then go in and get my change leaving my car at the pump so that the amount on the pump doesn't get blanked out by the next person.

A lot of people are talking about where they gas up for a 150 mile trip. If I fill the tank on my Camry hybrid I have a six hundred mile range. If the hybrid battery lasts as long as the regular Toyota battery lasted in my RAV4, its got another eight years in it.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 08-08-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 06:04 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In 1986 during the sixth game of the World Series just about every pump at what was then the Pelham Exxon (now Gulf) became a parking space as people watched the game inside the station. The Mets were down and then tied when a ball rolled between the Rd Sox's outfielder's legs.
That didn't happen in my town. However, in 1984 it probably did happen.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
What does wanting to see out the window have to do with paint? I hope even drivers in unwashed cars can see where they are going.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I could see how it could be confusing for the cashier if you you filled up after paying in advance with cash, moved your car and then went in to get your change while in the meantime somebody else started using the pump you just left.
This was back when drive offs became more frequent, but the majority of stations hadn't yet instituted rules for patrons on how they were expected to deal with it.
Now there are all sorts of rules and laws in place, regarding drive offs.
Also, everywhere I have lived, no longer had gas station pump attendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive