Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Then get over it already.

You've been going around in the same circles on the discussion for days.
Get over what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody is carrying gas cans around in the back of the car with the kids. No one. Also, if you can not get gas for the cars (like is noted in the article) you can't get gas for your cans either.
We always carried gas when camping and trekking the far corners of Nevada... sure... if everything went OK you could squeak by but if a trail was blocked and the detour ended up adding a hundreds of miles with the extra gas you were covered... and yes... I was a kid when I experienced this.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
I am a Leaf driver in Miami so I am familiar with the situation last week concerning Irma. If I had a Tesla I would have driven it out using their supercharge network...should take one stop to get to Jax and in normal conditions the supercharge stations are at about 10% capacity...just guessing but I wouldnt think they'd be 100% occupied even during an evacuation. If they were backed up similar to the gas stations then the Tesla advantage would be wiped out.

Instead, I waited for over an hour at 2:30a to fill the gas tank of my ICE vehicle before evacuating. I went in the middle of the night cause the line was probably two hours long when I went in the late morning the day before.

Also, after returning to Miami the Leaf came in handy for driving around town cause lines for gas were still long (and over 50% of stations had no gas)

Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
^^^ Good post from someone that lived it...

Old 09-15-2017, 04:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Nobody is carrying gas cans around in the back of the car with the kids. No one. Also, if you can not get gas for the cars (like is noted in the article) you can't get gas for your cans either.
That's assuming the person is driving a car. Where I live half of the population has a truck, I carry gas cans on the back of my truck frequently.

I live 50 miles inland so I don't evacuate, when I stock up on gas it's for after the storm, when I know there won't be power for awhile.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:25 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
People turned around and went home because they could not get gas. People in electric cars got out and then got back home.

Those are the facts and what the thread was asking.

Did a small number of people carry around gas cans in the back of their cars? I imagine so, but in insignificant numbers.
Yes, and many people in ICE vehicles also got out safe and some people in EV could not get out or chose to leave their EV vehicle behind. Those are also the facts.

So yes, regardless of what car you drove you either got out or were stranded.

I understand what the thread was asking but I think the point of discussion has moved beyond the simple "Did any EV cars make it out?"

Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
People turned around and went home because they could not get gas. People in electric cars got out and then got back home.

And people in gas cars got out and back home. I know quite a few. What's your point? We've long since established that some made it in EV cars. The thread has morphed since then into discussing the practicality of trying to use an EV in an emergency situation. For some reason you are choosing to ignore that.

Quote:
Did a small number of people carry around gas cans in the back of their cars? I imagine so, but in insignificant numbers.

You said you were interested in facts and not theory. So how did you come upon the fact that an insignificant number of people had gas cans with them? I would venture to say you haven't ever been in a hurricane evacuation? I don't know anyone who evacuates who doesn't carry extra gas. It's almost an unspoken rule for folks who prep in advance. I've been there before and have seen first hand. Just because the news doesn't say they are doing that, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
And people in gas cars got out and back home. I know quite a few. What's your point? We've long since established that some made it in EV cars. The thread has morphed since then into discussing the practicality of trying to use an EV in an emergency situation. For some reason you are choosing to ignore that.
Nope. You seem to not like the idea that people with electric cars were as able to get out just like anyone else.

Quote:
You said you were interested in facts and not theory. So how did you come upon the fact that an insignificant number of people had gas cans with them? I would venture to say you haven't ever been in a hurricane evacuation? I don't know anyone who evacuates who doesn't carry extra gas. It's almost an unspoken rule for folks who prep in advance. I've been there before and have seen first hand. Just because the news doesn't say they are doing that, doesn't mean it isn't happening.
People don't prep in advance or they wouldn't have turned around and went home.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:43 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Nope. You seem to not like the idea that people with electric cars were as able to get out just like anyone else.

You still talking about this? That was like 3 hurricanes ago.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:06 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:

Nope, people with electric cars got out. Heck people on mopeds and bicycles probably got out as well.

Doesn't change my stance stance that as of today in an emergency situation I would take my ICE over any other method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive