Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Yea, I think his 88 ford 351 was rated at 210. My 07 ram with a little 4.7 is 235. Makes me laugh when I have had both a 78 bronco with a 400 which had 160 I believe and a 79 which was rated foe 144 with the boat anchor 351M. Swapped in a 180? horse Lincoln 460. Motors now days put out so much more power and burn a lot cleaner with better MPG's on heavier vehicles. I'll take the new ones (unless I can afford an older "toy") to work on and tweak up a bit!

And the brakes. Disc all around with duel calipers up front. My modern truck actually stops, even with oversized tires.
Exactly. If you could go back to 1988, and tell people that starting in the 2010s you could buy a truck that's even BIGGER than a 1988 F150, that could out accelerate a random 1988 sports car, that would get better gas mileage than a 4 banger Toyota Pickup even with an engine that pushes 400HP, be safer in a crash than a 1988 race car, and that this truck would be made in America, you would have gotten laughed out of the room.

And as for another poster talking about the cost, very few people pay $50k for these trucks. I'm considering a truck to replace two older used cars I have, and I'm finding that $10k off MSRP is an insult. Many of these trucks listed for $50k can be had for $12-$15k off sticker. Some even more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
I really do not care what the MSRP is on a new truck. I have never bought one, and never will. My current truck is a 1999 model, Cummins diesel, 5 speed manual transmission.
At this time of year is when I begin wondering about the intelligence of vehicle designers.
WHY can't they make vehicles that:
Have dash controls (including the "entertainment center", including aftermarket units) that can be operated with gloves on when it is below freezing outside?
Won't dump snow on the seat when you open the door, no matter how carefully you brush it off?
Won't suck snow into the heater intake, then blow it onto the inside of the windshield, forming a layer of frost?
IMO, it is absolutely ridiculous that a 50 to 60 thousand dollar vehicle isn't designed to be used with convenience and comfort in the winter!
I started driving in 1958, and over the years since I have owned a lot of vehicles that were built in the '30s, '40s, '50s, and '60s. Very few of them had the problems I just listed!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I really do not care what the MSRP is on a new truck. I have never bought one, and never will. My current truck is a 1999 model, Cummins diesel, 5 speed manual transmission.
At this time of year is when I begin wondering about the intelligence of vehicle designers.
WHY can't they make vehicles that:
Have dash controls (including the "entertainment center", including aftermarket units) that can be operated with gloves on when it is below freezing outside?
Won't dump snow on the seat when you open the door, no matter how carefully you brush it off?
Won't suck snow into the heater intake, then blow it onto the inside of the windshield, forming a layer of frost?
IMO, it is absolutely ridiculous that a 50 to 60 thousand dollar vehicle isn't designed to be used with convenience and comfort in the winter!
I started driving in 1958, and over the years since I have owned a lot of vehicles that were built in the '30s, '40s, '50s, and '60s. Very few of them had the problems I just listed!
That's a new one. Haven't seen that but I have seen cowls load up with snow drains freeze up all that snow melt on the cowl flash freeze and waffle up wiper motors...

Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Far as opening a door and getting snow... you're basically creating a vacuum when you open the door so... Unless a blower fan is running to somewhat pressurize the cab...
I noticed with the factory remote start with defrost running full bore for 10-20 minutes if the truck is still running when I got to it, snow on top it didn't fly in.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:31 AM

snow blown through the vents via intake?

Are you confusing heater core/evaporator core degradation/corrosion blowing out of the vents? If the truck is sucking snow in via fresh air inlet, you're missing the screen that goes over the inlet. Not saying it's not possible, but I haven't seen that. I have seen corroded heater cores/evaporator cores shed flakes though...

Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

Are you confusing heater core/evaporator core degradation/corrosion blowing out of the vents? If the truck is sucking snow in via fresh air inlet, you're missing the screen that goes over the inlet. Not saying it's not possible, but I haven't seen that. I have seen corroded heater cores/evaporator cores shed flakes though...
Fords. All models. From 2014 F150s back to 1958 Ranch Wagons (which encompasses my life with Fords that I can remember) Snow through the defroster.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Nice post, but...

Quote:
Something to think about... what is cheaper in the long run?
A 600/700 dollar per month payment and insurance policy for 1 vehicle or say 600/700 for 1 daily driver and used stripped down work/tow pig and 2 insurance policies? Plus less space in the garage/driveway?
Insurance is practically free on my beater truck, and it's long done depreciating. And I have plenty of room to park it.

Quote:
Fully loaded trucks do all things well. You don't have to sacrifice comfort to have a truck. I believe the industry saw a market change from strictly utilitarian purposes to going to well rounded in all areas. Gas mileage is good. If you're an Econobox owner used to 30-40mpg, to you mid to high 20s seems bad.
They aren't getting mid-high 20s. Mid-high teens overall, unless you get an eco-diesel which will have other problems.

And they really aren't "well rounded". Payload capacity is nil. They are made to pull trailers, not haul stuff in the bed... which more often than not isn't big enough to haul much anyway.

There aren't that many trucks being used for work. Most are commuting vehicles, that very occasionally tow trailers. Their main market is reasonably wealthy guys ($100k+/yr) who like to think of themselves as rugged and manly, but really aren't. Hence the plethora of "comfortable" metrosexual features, and the latest electronic doodads.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Far as opening a door and getting snow... you're basically creating a vacuum when you open the door so... Unless a blower fan is running to somewhat pressurize the cab...
I noticed with the factory remote start with defrost running full bore for 10-20 minutes if the truck is still running when I got to it, snow on top it didn't fly in.
Quote:

This is why we sweep the snow off the truck (and car) before opening the door and starting it up. In our Christmas Eve storm (6") I used the leaf blower to clear them off. My F150 5.0 gets only 15/22 MPG, but I didn't expect more, it's the price to pay for 385 HP, and being able to haul 3,000 lbs and tow 10,000.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:16 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Nice post, but...

Insurance is practically free on my beater truck, and it's long done depreciating. And I have plenty of room to park it.
Not everyone has that luxury.... You still have the cost of maintenance on 2 vehicles versus 1. Tires, brakes, fluid changes, etc... then there's the labor of cleaning it, etc.. (unless you don't wash your vehicle) so twice the amount of car wash needed, water needed, time required to clean it, etc..

And while insurance might be "practically free", it still isn't free. Neither is registration. And you have to put fuel in 2 vehicles. So those are all costs that still add up.

Quote:

And they really aren't "well rounded". Payload capacity is nil. They are made to pull trailers, not haul stuff in the bed... which more often than not isn't big enough to haul much anyway.
No... they're made to haul stuff and have the capability of pulling trailers.
How can you classify payload capacity as "NIL" when they all have a payload capacity? That's kind of an odd claim. You won't stuff the weight that any of the trucks can carry in the bed into a minivan, suv, or car. The beds offer more capacity in most cases than SUVs, vans, and cars. So that is all completely relevant and can't be shrugged off. It's what trucks are built for.

1/2 ton trucks:
F150 V8- up to 3,300 lbs
Sierra V8 - up to 2,180 lbs
Ram V8 - up to 1,600 lbs
Titan V8 - up to 2,153 lbs
Tundra V8 - up to 2,080 lbs
https://www.autotrader.com/best-cars...apacity-241420

3/4 ton trucks:
F250 - up to 4,200 lbs
Sierra 2500 - up to 3,534 lbs
Ram 2500 - up to 3,990 lbs
Titan XD - up to 1,950 lbs

1 ton trucks:
F350 - up to 5,430 lbs
Sierra 3500 - up to 7,153 lbs
Ram 3500 - up to 7,390 lbs

Quote:
There aren't that many trucks being used for work. Most are commuting vehicles, that very occasionally tow trailers. Their main market is reasonably wealthy guys ($100k+/yr) who like to think of themselves as rugged and manly, but really aren't. Hence the plethora of "comfortable" metrosexual features, and the latest electronic doodads.
Ahh... and we finally have the answer. You have a hate for trucks and people who drive them. Gotcha.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:45 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Ahh... and we finally have the answer. You have a hate for trucks and people who drive them. Gotcha.
I have two of them! I like the old one the best, but I needed a bigger one to build a home on.

"Up to" payload is a joke. That's a 2wd regular cab. The 1/2 tons commonly sold can add 1200-1500 lb before they are over GVWR. And that includes passengers and everything else. My wee '86 Toyota truck can haul that much, and its unloaded weight is literally half as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive