Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 AM

469 posts, read 1,871,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Regarding push button starting...You would soon be thankful you have it if you live in a cold climate, where it is necessary to warm the engine before driving off...It doesn't hurt to bring the interior temperature up from -30 either.
It all depends on where you live, where I live it can be extremely cold one day and extremely hot the next. So an automatic starter isn't going to do any good when you have your a/c blasting when coming home, and the next morning it's freezing cold and when you start your car (from inside your house of-course) that a/c is still going to be blasting. So you still have to go into the car to switch it to heat, thus defeating the purpose of the automatic starter.

Just because I find this feature annoying, doesn't mean I hate it. If I bought a car that came with it, I would definitely use it (and proudly), as with any technology that comes with a car in today's world. Yes, I may find some of the features silly or annoying, but they are there for a reason, and if anything are there to make our lives easier. Like a previous poster stated, yes I could live without these features (and have), but if they are there, they are nice to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Ever seen the cost to replace the motor? Very high parts and labor repair costs for the convenience.
No, because I've never had to replace one. So the cost for the convenience has certainly worked out in my favor. I'd bet that's also the case for most people here.

Last edited by Drover; 03-25-2008 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Yup, it is all good. I'd rather have a few conveniences that I don't use, than go back to the days of no power steering or brakes, seat belts or other safety features, distributor ignition with breaker points. Other items we didn't have then is windshield washers, decent headlights, and on and on....

I have a couple of collector cars from those days. They are fun, but if I want comfort and convenience I drive the new car.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,431,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
So an automatic starter isn't going to do any good when you have your a/c blasting when coming home, and the next morning it's freezing cold and when you start your car (from inside your house of-course) that a/c is still going to be blasting. So you still have to go into the car to switch it to heat, thus defeating the purpose of the automatic starter.
You just need to switch your a/c over to heat before you get out of the car each evening. That way it's all set for you the next morning when you start the car from inside your house. It may take a few trips out into the cold before this habit becomes ingrained, but cold is a strong motivator to learn!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Or maybe the twilight sentinel option.
Cadillac offered twilight sentinel (automatic headlights) for the 1964 models.
I've always liked them. A great way not leave the headlights on by accident.
My '76 limo has it. I has a 5 to 90 second delay.
My dad didn't like using "fancy gadgets," drove to a hospital parking lot one day and walked back to a car with a dead battery. Had to call the auto club. If he just set it on automatic, he could have avoided a service call and a wait.

Also handy to light the way to the door. That has come in handy for me quite often.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
It all depends on where you live, where I live it can be extremely cold one day and extremely hot the next. So an automatic starter isn't going to do any good when you have your a/c blasting when coming home, and the next morning it's freezing cold and when you start your car (from inside your house of-course) that a/c is still going to be blasting. So you still have to go into the car to switch it to heat, thus defeating the purpose of the automatic starter.

Just because I find this feature annoying, doesn't mean I hate it. If I bought a car that came with it, I would definitely use it (and proudly), as with any technology that comes with a car in today's world. Yes, I may find some of the features silly or annoying, but they are there for a reason, and if anything are there to make our lives easier. Like a previous poster stated, yes I could live without these features (and have), but if they are there, they are nice to have.
Don't have to worry about that on Cadillacs since 1964. Set it on "Auto" and it will automatically deliver heat or cold depending on the interior temp of the car. And the heat won't come on until the water temp reaches a certain point so you won't get cool air from the vents until it has reached a warm temp.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,943,341 times
Hey Fleet: How did it work out for those automatic headlight dimmers when reflective road signs came along in the mid/late sixties? My dad had Caddies with those and whenever we passed interstate signs, back in the day, the beams would just go up and down continuously. I realize there was an adjustment knob (maybe it was only an on/off switch) on the back of the units, but I was too young to drive and never did find out if Cadillacs and other luxury cars kept them or changed them somehow.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Hey Fleet: How did it work out for those automatic headlight dimmers when reflective road signs came along in the mid/late sixties? My dad had Caddies with those and whenever we passed interstate signs, back in the day, the beams would just go up and down continuously. I realize there was an adjustment knob (maybe it was only an on/off switch) on the back of the units, but I was too young to drive and never did find out if Cadillacs and other luxury cars kept them or changed them somehow.
Well, the twilight sentinel was ordered much more often than the guidematic (auto high/low beam lights).
None of the Cadillacs I or my parents owned had the guidematic option, except for the '69 Fleetwood I currently own. I turned it on a few times but it didn't seem to work. You're right, you can select sensitivity by turning the ring behind the headlight knob.

Where I live, using high beams is not necessary, so I doubut I will have a shop check to see if it works and if it isn't why it doesn't.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Cadillac offered twilight sentinel (automatic headlights) for the 1964 models.
I meant to say that Cadillac had twilight sentinel available since 1964.
And, for the record, the first year for cornering lights on Cadillacs was 1962.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,310,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
What would you say is the silliest thing manufacturers have put on a car to make our life easier. OEM items only. 40" wheels and other crazy after market items don't count. My vote goes to wipers that come on automatically when it rains. Are we too stupid to know its raining or to lazy to turn the switch?
Oil change lights and azz warmers. Who wants to fool around with some dumb light when you just change it when it needs changed? The azz warmers are retarded as well. How much of a p***y have men become lately? I can freeze my nuts off outside at work, I think I can sit on a seat that is a little cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive