Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times

Advertisements

What ever it is get it fixed you can’t sell a car with bad brakes without telling the buyer about them being bad,if you don’t then you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit if whoever you sell the car to gets Into a accident and god forbid anyone gets killed then you my friend could end up in prison. Just get them fixed ASAP brakes are nothing to fool around with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Oh great. I want to sell this car (soon) and get a new one. Can I drive it this way or do I HAVE to fix it? It doesn't happen all the time. TIA

If your brakes fail and you kill someone, you'll go to prison. Negligence is when you know the brakes are bad, but keep driving on them anyway.

Fix the brakes or stop driving the car before you kill somebody.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
OK, OK. I am taking it in today. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Such misinformation! A brake booster that is failing or has a vacuum leak does not cause the pedal to go to the floor. It will cause a very hard and a high brake pedal but which requires extreme effort for even moderate brake application. If you want to verify this just pull the hose off the brake booster in your car and you will see.

Don in Austin
It was noted as a "booster or something that is leaking". A leaking master cylinder on the booster will most certainly do this. I just did the step sons.

Even having it done OP you should be able to find someone to do it for $250 give or take $50. (as long as this isn't a Mercedes or something) Make sure they bleed all four corners. If you have a leaking M.C. you have got air into the system.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
Well I took it in to Brake Masters, small shop here in Prescott. They could not replicate the problem at all. They checked all the brakes, said the rears were a little out of alignment, but nothing leaking, nothing else wrong. Happy for no big bill, yet still wondering. It's a 2008 Mazda Tribute with 80,000 miles. Going car shopping tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
When it “mushes” to the floor, does it improve by pumping it rapidly at least 5 times?

Old 01-15-2018, 03:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
When it “mushes” to the floor, does it improve by pumping it rapidly at least 5 times?
Would that be air in the system?
Then I wonder if the fluid level goes down.
Anyway, OP, happy car hunting!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Well I took it in to Brake Masters, small shop here in Prescott. They could not replicate the problem at all. They checked all the brakes, said the rears were a little out of alignment, but nothing leaking, nothing else wrong. Happy for no big bill, yet still wondering. It's a 2008 Mazda Tribute with 80,000 miles. Going car shopping tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help.
Great...

If you told them the pedal is going to the floor and they told you there is "nothing wrong," you can add these folks to the list of those who will be sued.

Did they even bleed the system for you, or just look at it? No "visible" sign of trouble is an obvious master problem.

Go to another shop and have them replaced it immediately. It will be a selling point for your car. I don't know what the shop will charge, but the part for a DIY is almost nothing.

And BTW, if I were to come see your car and give it a test drive and while doing so have an accident because the brakes failed, you can kiss the car, your house, your savings and everything else you value goodbye.

Get it fixed.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 01-16-2018 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 02:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Would that be air in the system?
Then I wonder if the fluid level goes down.
Anyway, OP, happy car hunting!
I believe so ... I'm about as mechanically inclined as a rock but I have had to be the person sitting in the car pumping the brakes after a brake change(to bleed them) so many times that I remembered this last year when my brakes "mushed" to the floor.

I pumped them really fast & they came right back up. Which was a good thing because I was on the way to the funeral home to help my dad after my mom died. I had no intention of not showing up.

Obviously, they still had to be fixed as that was only temporary but I was glad it worked at that moment.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
I don't know too much about the mechanics of cars but my truck did this a few months ago. It ended up being leaking struts along with brake pads and rotors. You may want to explore that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive