Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times

Advertisements

From a fashion standpoint, I absolutely hate hooded sweatshirts. If it's a nice coat or something, that's different. But to wear it in the car just strikes me as odd. As long as you have heat in your car it shouldn't be on. It's like you're trying to call attention to yourself or something. Which is never smart if you're on the road.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
The Driver's Instruction Manual cautions drivers to turn their head when there
is a need to merge into traffic or any driving activity that requires full attention
on the peripheral of vision. Someone driving with a neck brace would be more
at risk then someone with a hoodie.
Your peripheral vision turns with you head, so you're not making up for restricted peripheral vision by turning you head.

But, I agree that someone driving with a neck brace is far, far more at risk than someone with a hoodie. Honestly, wearing a hoodie while driving never crossed my mind as being a dangerous activity. That being said, a hoodie pulled very far forward could impact peripheral vision, which could negatively impact one's driving. First world problem.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:07 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
I never even look at other drivers. I just get punks in Hondas and trucks that want to race me when i am in my Vette.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:16 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
From a fashion standpoint, I absolutely hate hooded sweatshirts. If it's a nice coat or something, that's different. But to wear it in the car just strikes me as odd. As long as you have heat in your car it shouldn't be on. It's like you're trying to call attention to yourself or something. Which is never smart if you're on the road.
For me it's just the inconvenience of having to dig through dozens of them to find one without a hood, LOL.

As someone else said here, hoodies have been around for decades. It's just current events that led to the majority of sweatshirts having a hood nowadays.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:53 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
This reminds me of a creepy encounter I had years ago just before Halloween or maybe even on Halloween. I was pulling into a parking lot at night and leaving it was this old beat up early 1960s small sedan, like a Dodge Dart. Its lights were off which is not unusual as people are in a well lit parking lot and sometimes forget to turn on their headlights. But I saw the three occupants and all three were short and wearing hoodies. I thought teenagers or kids were out maybe for a joyride or possibly they were Mexicans who can be very short. I parked and watched their car as it just sat at the exit still with its lights off apparently not knowing where they wanted to go. I went in the store and I don't know what happened to them.
The thing was, I got this really creepy vibe from them. Maybe it was that they were all in shadow and you couldn't see their faces, maybe it was the car or the time of year, maybe it was that they all looked the same the way they were dressed. Like the Jeepers Creepers movie but with munchkins.
Personally, I always take off my hood when get in the car when its cold or snowing. The loss of peripheral vision is dangerous and I hate not being able to get a clear view around me. I also clear all windows of snow for the same reason.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
hey, I have a Vette too...and a Porsche

Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Lately, we've been dealing with negative zero degree weather, and in the St. Louis area, we haven't had THAT cold weather in a few years. You can believe most of us bundled up when driving with that kind of cold weather.

I drive an older car, and on those cold cold mornings, my car never did warm up enough, to feel comfortable. I had my hoodie, a scarf, and a jacket on for my 20 minute drive, and yeah...the hoodie was up.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:34 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, exactly. I can't people are now criticizing the clothing worn by other drivers. Why not keep your eyes on the road and stop peering into other cars. I never notice what other drivers are wearing. I hope this isn't some coded language to insult Black drivers.
+1

This is a prime example of "dippin and dappin and don't know what's happenin."

Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redraven View Post
keep your eyes front and center, on the road ahead, and you won't notice what the guy next to you is wearing.
++1

Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM

505 posts, read 368,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
And I guess, according to posters here, I'm suddenly a thug cause I drive with the seat back . It's called comfort, and many relatives with no records to speak of have their seats tilted way back for that reason.
No, it's called laziness and not caring about being alert. What with all the distracted drivers on the road today, do you really want to drive with a gangsta' lean and risk lowered reaction time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive