Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 05:39 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No, this is new window dressing on the good-ol-US-boy-knowhow Moller Aircar that was on a magazine cover and promised Real Soon Now at short intervals from about 1970-2000 or so.

The guy's one talent was an ability to talk pennies off a dead man's eyes. I worked next to his "plant" and knew a couple of tech tycoons who had "loaned" him money.
Whenever I think the future is taking too long to get here, I see a picture of Dubai and I’m reminded the future did arrive, just not where we thought it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 04:19 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
There wee electrified roads a hundred years ago. Trolley buses ran on them. Their downside was apparent -- an electrified vehicle was pretty limited as to where it could go. Thee was insufficient enthusiasm about joining the fleet and creating demand for a wider network of electrified roads. So they never got off the ground, except for public transportation on fixed routes, and even those died out.

They actually preceded the internal combustion engine for transporting people, being used for a trolley in St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1880. Yes, it really was invented by the Russians.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Lol.
While the Russians were busy stealing plans from everything from nuclear weapons to space shuttles and hacking elections, they just couldn’t manage to steal 60 year old plans for a hover board.
The US landed men on the moon but just couldn’t figure out how to utilize this super secret hovering technology. You know, since it couldn’t be metered and all.
Yeah, I have never understood why NASA or other agencies have not used this technology, seems like it would benefit them greatly.

The technology DOES exist, there are FOIA documents that list some of the technology that has been suppressed by Invention Secrecy Act and anti gravity related tech is on there, among many other things that would make this world a whole lot better.

So really just the fact that they created and enacted Invention Secrecy is pretty darn suspect, what are we supposed to think when they have something that allows them to suppress technology? Thats crazy, why would they ever seek to suppress ANY technology?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:27 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
So where will we get the ELECTRICAL CAPICITY in which to run this marvelous system? Not from wind, and solar.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So where will we get the ELECTRICAL CAPICITY in which to run this marvelous system? Not from wind, and solar.
We have no idea what the future brings. Right now we harness only a very small amount of energy from the sun. If the future allows us to harness a far higher percent, it's hard to tell what we can do.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If it were so great, then why do we still have Diesel locomotives?

Most cities of a certain size have an electrified small rail network, and have for 100 years or more...Yet, if it were all that and a bag of chips, why isn't the entirety of the US or international Rail networks running on electricity?

Just to be pedantic, those diesel locomotives are electric. The diesel engine runs the generator that creates the electricity that turns the wheels. US infrastructure is to spread out to have overhead wires for direct transmission.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just to be pedantic, those diesel locomotives are electric. The diesel engine runs the generator that creates the electricity that turns the wheels. US infrastructure is to spread out to have overhead wires for direct transmission.
If we can run railroad tracks, highways, interstates, and power and telephone limes all over the country, I don’t think running an overhead wire over a railroad track would be too big of a deal.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:46 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If we can run railroad tracks, highways, interstates, and power and telephone limes all over the country, I don’t think running an overhead wire over a railroad track would be too big of a deal.
The Milwaukee Road was electrified from Harlowton, Montana, to Avery Idaho, and from Othello Washington to Tacoma a distance of 645 miles. The system was an overhead 3,000 volt DC.

One of the 3,200hp Bi-Polar locomotives pulling the Olympian Hiawatha out of Seattle.

And two 5,500hp "Little Joe"s pulling freight.

The road went bankrupt in 1980 and shut down.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
The Milwaukee Road was electrified from Harlowton, Montana, to Avery Idaho, and from Othello Washington to Tacoma a distance of 645 miles. The system was an overhead 3,000 volt DC.

One of the 3,200hp Bi-Polar locomotives pulling the Olympian Hiawatha out of Seattle.

And two 5,500hp "Little Joe"s pulling freight.

The road went bankrupt in 1980 and shut down.
Like pretty much everything else, the hurdle is more economics than technology. Diesel electrics are already very economical. From an emissions standpoint it’s almost negligible.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 AM

220 posts, read 145,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I remember reading that too. And now they are promising it by the 2020s. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. When it comes to actually paying for infrastructure like that, we don't even pay enough to maintain our current infrastructure.
Indeedy-do. I feel confident that the next issue of my Weekly Reader promised we'd all be flying to work - some 30 years ago.

I'm reminded of a congressional hearing I worked in in those mid '80s. I believe it was Rep. Dingell's Transportation committee. The discussion was focused on our failing roads and bridges - remember, this was 35 years ago - and how bringing that infrastructure to satisfactory condition would basically require ALL the money the government had.

Of course, back then, the government actually had some money. Newt even balanced the budget four years in a row later. Sort of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive