Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 06:51 PM

9,499 posts, read 4,336,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
How can you prove you're correct?

When you're driving to work tomorrow morning, note how many non-commercial use pickup trucks have anything in the bed and/or have no passengers, only the driver. There's your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Sorry you disagree, but the only pros I see towards an automatic are faster shifts (on some transmissions) and ease of use. But yet the automatic continues to soar in popularity. Why? Ill never know. Manuals are cheaper, better on gas, easier to fix, easier to maintain, lighter, more fun to drive (subjective), and keep your hands busy shifting instead of talking on cell phones and texting.
The old benefits of manuals are simply not true anymore, aside from the fun part. And most new cars come with bluetooth (even manuals), so no need to pick up your phone to talk.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/toda...myths-debunked

Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Yep. Vehicles either have a column shifter and pedal e-brake, or a console shifter and handbrake.

Do you think any vehicles out there mix-and-match?
My new Explorer has a console shifter and pedal e-brake.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
When you're driving to work tomorrow morning, note how many non-commercial use pickup trucks have anything in the bed and/or have no passengers, only the driver. There's your answer.

The commute doesn't tell you anything about what they are doing on the weekends or after/during work with the truck. If the family only has one or two vehicles, then the truck will do double duty as the commuter for at least one of the family members. Doesn't mean it doesn't do truck duty for many/most of it's total miles.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The commute doesn't tell you anything about what they are doing on the weekends or after/during work with the truck. If the family only has one or two vehicles, then the truck will do double duty as the commuter for at least one of the family members. Doesn't mean it doesn't do truck duty for many/most of it's total miles.
And even so, who cares?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:38 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
100% self-driving cars on the road? Yeah right. Especially in cities where there are millions of people driving. Pipe dream.

I would own one but it sure won't happen in my lifetime.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
100% self-driving cars on the road? Yeah right. Especially in cities where there are millions of people driving. Pipe dream.

I would own one but it sure won't happen in my lifetime.
Are you 90+ years old?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:25 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times
My friend has a long bed crew cab and he hasn't had anything in the back for years. He could of had a Miata to take him places just as well instead of this gas hog hard to park and go around a corner behemoth.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My friend has a long bed crew cab and he hasn't had anything in the back for years. He could of had a Miata to take him places just as well instead of this gas hog hard to park and go around a corner behemoth.
It really is not difficult at all to park a pickup or go around a corner in one. I do both many times a day and never even break a sweat. (In fact, I do it without really even thinking about it, just like any other car).

Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It really is not difficult at all to park a pickup or go around a corner in one. I do both many times a day and never even break a sweat. (In fact, I do it without really even thinking about it, just like any other car).
I drive a 2005 GMC 3/4 ton extended cab with 6ft box all day for work. My shop neighbor has same truck with crew cab, and long box for his wood company, it makes mine very short. Once you get used to parking a smaller suv/car, you’ll hate parking a full size truck. Why I’ll never have one as a dd, only work. Getting into my medium sized suv to go home is best part of day driving-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive