Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Please tell me you are not one of those who drive in the left lane of a 3 lane interstate at 5 mph over the limit.....and have a need to get to that left lane as soon as they enter
Those are the Illinois drivers in Indiana and Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 11:45 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
"Should not"? The flow of traffic, regardless of your preferences, is the speed that traffic is going at any given time.

Designed a certain way with specific rules includes the speed limit.

If the flow of traffic is significantly slower than the speed limit, a rational person will assume there is a reason for it (perhaps an accident, perhaps a car having difficulty, perhaps a pack of javalina in the road, perhaps just rush hour and the road is filled to capacity other than the lane we're supposed to stay out of unless we're passing and if you're passing in that situation you're acting entitled) any number of things it could be), not try to pass anyone, and wait to find out.

Having been driving for quite a while now, there have been more than a few times where traffic is slowed or stopped for a Very Good Reason, the left lane is empty for a Very Good Reason, and someone comes up from the back and rather than realize that there is a Very Good Reason has to go zooming up passing everyone to "check" (read: get in front of everyone else because they're Special) only to discover that the left lane is closed due to an accident or some such. In that case the road IS operating as it is designed to do in such a situation. Of course, they always then expect to be let in ahead of everyone else who has been waiting patiently.

Those who prefer to ignore the speed limit always try to justify it by insisting that they are just going with the flow of traffic "because it's safer". They never ever seem to be willing, however, to accept and go with the flow of traffic "because it's safer" when it is the speed limit or below, and will whine incessantly about it.

I didn't say anything about speed limits . I'm talking about flow of traffic. The rules were made to make things flow better. If we followed the rules, it generally will.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:53 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Those are the Illinois drivers in Indiana and Michigan.
I lived in Indiana, then Illinois for 22 years, then back to Indiana. I learned from Indiana drivers, how to run red lights, when we moved back.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
You guys mind getting back to topic? It's impossible to read a thread when it devolves into pages and pages of bickering about going over the speed limit by modest increments or not.

Some of you have essentially made the same dang post a half dozen or more times in the thread, you've made your point, go start your own speeding thread if that's what you want but you're being rude at this stage.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Yeah, but I'm right and you're wrong. And to prove it I'll post the same thing 53 times or until you give up.

Neener, neener, neener!

It does get tiresome doesn't it? Say it once and leave it. The message never changes no matter how many times you post it.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:55 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You guys mind getting back to topic? It's impossible to read a thread when it devolves into pages and pages of bickering about going over the speed limit by modest increments or not.

Some of you have essentially made the same dang post a half dozen or more times in the thread, you've made your point, go start your own speeding thread if that's what you want but you're being rude at this stage.
I'm sorry what was the topic again?
The OP made a post about going a few miles over the speed limit and laughing at someone who got busted for excessive speed, so what exactly are we debating here again?

Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,818,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The OP made a post about going a few miles over the speed limit and laughing at someone who got busted for excessive speed, so what exactly are we debating here again?
You can't mention the wordset "driving at" without starting a sh¡tstorm.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:44 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
IDK read my post on page 2 of an example of something someone may actually want to read instead of the usual suspects bickering like children over the last slice of pizza.

The fundamental problem here are people acting like jerks either by tailgating or by blocking the flow of traffic even though they are within their driving rights, it's still rude.

Yeah, I can walk up to your table at dinner and cut a loud horrible smelling fart and while legal....it's still rude.

The problem some of these "thou shall not speed" drivers have is that they're old and generally drive average or below cars. That means they are not comfortable driving at higher speeds that can be safely driven by people without diminished reflexes or mental capacity etc. As such, we should NOT tailgate these folks if they are in the slow lane or on a one lane road. They're old, give them some room and not be a jerk to them. At the same time, some of the posters here have a power trip where they actually get off on impeding the flow of traffic.

If I knew a few of the posters here in real life, I'd wait for them to drive to the store one day, pull out in front of them and proceed to drive (legally) at 5mph. They might actually learn somthing lol.

Last edited by Mathguy; 11-01-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
IDK read my post on page 2 of an example of something someone may actually want to read instead of the usual suspects bickering like children over the last slice of pizza.

The fundamental problem here are people acting like jerks either by tailgating or by blocking the flow of traffic even though they are within their driving rights, it's still rude.

Yeah, I can walk up to your table at dinner and cut a loud horrible smelling fart and while legal....it's still rude.

The problem some of these "thou shall not speed" drivers have is that they're old and generally drive average or below cars.That means they are not comfortable driving at higher speeds that can be safely driven by people without diminished reflexes or mental capacity etc. As such, we should NOT tailgate these folks if they are in the slow lane or on a one lane road. They're old, give them some room and not be a jerk to them. At the same time, some of the posters here have a power trip where they actually get off on impeding the flow of traffic.

If I knew a few of the posters here in real life, I'd wait for them to drive to the store one day, pull out in front of them and proceed to drive (legally) at 5mph. They might actually learn somthing lol.
Sure, sure, but do you really think that's the topic OP had in mind when he made this thread?

Old 11-02-2018, 06:42 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Okay, I had one just this morning.

I was on I-295 NW of Richmond, one of the only roads in Virginia that was built large enough to actually handle the traffic volume it sees. It was a little after 6am and I was driving from my home down to Norfolk where I work. The interchange from I-95 South to I-295 is a left hand exit and deposits drivers into the left lanes of the 295 and volume was moderate and spread out across all lanes. I was behind a few different drivers and had a Prius* behind me so close I could not even see the car's headlights. When traffic volume subsided to the point some lanes opened up the Prius driver jumped into the lane to my right, cutting dangerously close to a vehicle already in that lane, and blew past the rest of us (we were all going ~75 in a 70) for a distance of a few hundred yards, when a state trooper pulled out and rolled him up. Here in Virginia the troopers camp out in the median between trees and they have these service roads in the medians every few miles, seemingly for this purpose. Virginia loves a speed trap. It was satisfying to see such an impatient and aggressive driver get a roadside chat with one of Virginia's finest. Based on his speed relative to ours he was easily exceeding 80, which will get you an invitation to traffic court here in Virginia.

*I am always cautious to paint with a broad brush like this because bad drivers can be found in every make and model. With that said, when I was commuting from my home north, toward Washington D.C. I found that drivers of the Prius, when controlling for single make and model, were easily the most pushy and aggressive. By a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive