Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:45 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times

Advertisements

One result of car-dependent infrastructure and lifestyle is incompetent drivers. Driving is a set of skills that many people will never completely learn, but they must still go to work, school, stores, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 12:51 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Just a few weeks ago, I was on I-85 north of Atlanta with a self-appointed speed enforcer in left lane matching the speed of an 18-wheeler in the right lane. Then the 18-wheeler exited the highway and a bunch of drivers passed the slowpoke on the right. Eventually I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw another 18-wheeler high-beaming the slowpoke out of the left lane and into the right lane, where (s)he belonged.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:55 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yes, they will. Georgia has a "Move Over" law. If you are impeding the flow of traffic in the left lane, even if you are doing the speed limit. YOU will get a ticket.
He was talking about a 2 lane road.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
One result of car-dependent infrastructure and lifestyle is incompetent drivers. Driving is a set of skills that many people will never completely learn, but they must still go to work, school, stores, etc.
Dude, It's not that deep. Of course you believe you've mastered these skills and are a level 10 sensei.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:47 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I do. I just move my rearview mirror so I can't see them anymore and keep driving.
I don't even do that. I just ignore them and keep driving at the speed that I have been driving, which is anywhere from 2 over to 9 over. I'm not the one whose blood pressure is going through the roof because I am in some hurry to get somewhere and didn't leave early enough to do it while driving at or slightly above the speed limit. I also don't speed up when they get a chance to pass me. I'm not an aggressive driver, but I am also not going to speed up on a two lane windy road to pacify the driver behind me.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Exactly this. If you drive the limit, good for you. No need to police others or trap them behind you. They may be breaking the law but they also feel that it's safe enough to do so (which is why it's frustrating following slow drivers who think otherwise). Majority usually says so. Just look at your local roads with 25mph posted limits and everyone's doing 40 because 25 is stupid-slow crawling grandma speed.

The other thing... these people wanting to get by will forget about you 3 seconds after moving on as just another driver on the road. Would you rather be that courteous guy who lets them pass or sit in front of them for miles and be an uptight a-hole who in effect has put himself in danger? If the latter, I hope you weren't driving slow for safety reasons then. The logic to let them by is not hard.
Most residential 25 mph zones are that slow due to being in neighborhoods or downtown where there are many pedestrians. I sure hope you don't hit some kid crossing the street because you feel like you should be able to drive 40 in a 25 because it's a "stupid-slow crawling grandma speed". Because you will be held 100% responsible, even if the kid runs out unexpectedly. All because you feel you have a right to go faster.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Apparently reading the OP is difficult for some. I've been saying the same thing as you, but then someone else throws out something about the left lane.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Dude, It's not that deep. Of course you believe you've mastered these skills and are a level 10 sensei.
Level 11 here. LOL!

Old 10-26-2018, 01:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Apparently reading the OP is difficult for some. I've been saying the same thing as you, but then someone else throws out something about the left lane.
Their reading skills are on a par with their driving skills.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:31 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I was on the New Jersey Turnpike, at night, driving a stately 70 MPH, when this old station wagon FLIES past me doing at least 120 MPH. As I'm asking myself "where are the cops when you need 'em," a NJ state trooper goes flying past me at 120 PMH after this guy. A half mile ahead I see the trooper's lights fash on. Sometimes the cops ARE where you need 'em....

--
Not often enough sadly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive