Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 PM

1,002 posts, read 929,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
No dispute there. But being BoF construction, there are more similarities between trucks and the El Camino/Ranchero versus a Trucklet like the Ridgeline domestically or some of the VW/Mitsubishi ones abroad, which are each unibody.

The Ridgeline is basically a Pilot with a bed. The Pilot is built on the same platform as the Odyssey and Accord.
I think it's a stretch to say it's build on the same platform as the Accord. There is no V6 Accord, and there is no 4 cylinder Ridgeline. They don't share basically anything.

In the past you might have had a case. Honda only had 4 engines they put in vehicles- the L15 (Fit, Civic Hybrid), R18 (Civic), K24 (Accord, Civic Si, Element, CR-V), and the J32 (Accord V6, Ridgeline, Pilot, Odyssey). Now the R18 has been dropped and the Fit/Civic/CR-V are all L15's (with turbo in Civic), the Accord only has the 4 cylinder K20 (destroked K24 with a turbo), and the Ridgeline/Odyssey/Pilot have the V6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,135,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The reality is that all of the Big Three have pretty robust fleet sales with Dodge having the fewest in both real numbers and percentage of sales.

Governments have master agreements with all the companies to supply various vehicles for X dollars per unit. Local governments will usually either sign on to their state's agreement or the federal one (which is arguably better) to get their equipment.

How good are these agreements you may ask. How about a $50K Super Duty for $22K? That was the federal number a couple years ago.

If Ford is selling hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of $50,000 F-150s for $22,000 through fleet sales and is still making tens of billions in profit, then think about how obscene the markup is on one.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM

686 posts, read 813,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I think it's a stretch to say it's build on the same platform as the Accord. There is no V6 Accord, and there is no 4 cylinder Ridgeline. They don't share basically anything.

In the past you might have had a case. Honda only had 4 engines they put in vehicles- the L15 (Fit, Civic Hybrid), R18 (Civic), K24 (Accord, Civic Si, Element, CR-V), and the J32 (Accord V6, Ridgeline, Pilot, Odyssey). Now the R18 has been dropped and the Fit/Civic/CR-V are all L15's (with turbo in Civic), the Accord only has the 4 cylinder K20 (destroked K24 with a turbo), and the Ridgeline/Odyssey/Pilot have the V6.
The ridgeline is built on its on frame. It isn’t shared by any other model.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 5,486,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If Ford is selling hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of $50,000 F-150s for $22,000 through fleet sales and is still making tens of billions in profit, then think about how obscene the markup is on one.
There is a markup on any vehicle how do you think automakers make money you think Ford is the only one to makeup their pickups lol lol we’re have you been I guess you don’t know the automotive business do you. And you don’t think Apple or Samsung don’t markup their cellphones by a large margin.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:31 PM

45,755 posts, read 61,143,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
They're not selling "millions" of trucks in fleet sales, though, nor are they fleet selling "hundreds of thousands" every year. Here are the monthly F series sales for last few years. I admittedly only eyeballed the numbers but I get 1.2 to 1.5 million units a year.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,007,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Has anyone downsize their truck to a ridgeline? I drive a Toyota Tundra crewmax that is lifted a bit.(came that way) I also drive about 20k miles a year for work but get an auto allowance and gas card so mpg isn’t a big deal for me. I love my truck But the more I drive this giant truck around the more I realize how much of a Pia it is to park and drive down narrow roads daily. I dont tow anything and use the bed for your basic weekend warrior type stuff.

I realize that buying this truck was pure emotional buy because I’ve always wanted one but I think I’d be really satisfied with the Honda Ridgeline based on my actual needs for a truck, the overall quality, nice features(Toyota still lacks in this dept) , and ride quality. I test drove a new FWD RTL-T model today and was very impressed.

Has anyone else made this switch and if so why did you do it?

On Memorial Day 2018, I sold my 2003 regular cab Tundra and bought a 2019 Ridgeline. The Tundra had a supercharged V6 with a 5 speed manual transmission. It's only factory option was A/C. I put 275000 miles on that truck and loved every minute of driving it. I could haul anything in its 8 foot bed and cover the load with a rollup tonneau cover.

I bought the Ridgeline on a whim, feeling that I needed something "nicer". The neighbors all knew when the Tundra was coming and going (it was fairly loud) and my wife would rarely ride anywhere in it. Although the immediate throttle response from the supercharger is missing, the Ridgeline's V6 seems to be a quick as the Tundra's, with better fuel mileage to boot.

I use the under-bed trunk fairly often to haul tool bags, fuel and a string trimmer. I have hauled 8 foot sheets of plywood and other lumber in it but have not yet attempted to haul any 10 foot lengths of steel. I've hauled a riding mower but had to leave the tailgate down. Note, though, that my neighbor must leave the tailgate down to haul his riding mower in the bed of his F250 4x4, so I don't let this shortcoming bother me.

Last edited by MacInTx; 01-07-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 08:20 PM

1,991 posts, read 907,995 times
I had a 2006 Ridgeline. I towed my wife’s Civic on a u-haul trailer up Fancy Gap on I-77 like there was nothing there. Hauled a bunch of the Home Depot type stuff. Got me through Lake Effect blizzards. Drove in down trails and across farm wood lots. It did everything I asked of it and never said, ” Nope I’m a unibody, I not going there”. It’s a truck.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,791,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have two trucks and a trailer. I use the trailer occasionally when I need to haul my mower, but it would get aggravating having to hook that danged thing up every time I need to haul something. Also, my trailer is a 5x8 with a ramp gate, so it’s not useful if I need to go grab some 10’ long lumber, but my bed extender is perfect for that.

And I’m certainly not a fan of putting things on the roof.
We have two trucks, a fullsize SUV (which is very old and will not be replaced when it goes), and a trailer. The trailer is for hauling 17’ long boats. We can rooftop them and have done so occasionally, but they are heavy and awkward to get up there and secure. I use my truck’s bed frequently to carry gear that would be messy, too big, or too wet to put in a passenger compartment. I also camp in it and have done so for decades.

I pointed out the other options in my previous post in case OP was even slightly considering getting an SUV, as some people have suggested. He says he would rarely use the bed but does have a family and needs the second row of seats.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,791,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Says you to bad not everyone thinks like you and love their full size pickups even if they never tow or haul anything, and the number of full size pickups on the road is really a figment of our imagination.
You must be very confused to conclude those things from the information I posted. Especially since I have never said the number of fullsize trucks is a figment. Not in this thread or any other. I LIVE in truck country, and see more fullsize trucks around than any other type of vehicle.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 AM

45,755 posts, read 61,143,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They're not selling "millions" of trucks in fleet sales, though, nor are they fleet selling "hundreds of thousands" every year. Here are the monthly F series sales for last few years. I admittedly only eyeballed the numbers but I get 1.2 to 1.5 million units a year.
Sorry, here's the link:

Ford F-Series Sales Numbers, Figures, Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive