Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:59 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If you were to rate yourself HONESTLY (not that I expect anyone to be honest.)how would you rate your driving skills?

I’m going to say a strong eight. I’m not always perfect and I have my moments where I might take my eyes off the road or my mind drirfts for a second. I think racing karts and having some amateur races when I was younger helped make me a more then decent driver.

Let the emblishments begin!
I started early with karts as well. Have raced several seasons in SCCA in the past, done several track days with various cars on multiple tracks around the country.

VS the average driver on the road? I'm a 10, which is what I'd say you are as well OP, the bar isn't exactly high vs most drivers on the road. I'm 41, my reflexes and vision have gotten slightly worse since my peak which was probably early 30's. Most drivers I can't even say are 5/10, the ones who cut across multiple lanes of traffic to make their exit without even bothering to look who they almost took out, people texting while driving, eating while driving, etc. Anyone who can drive without doing any of that is probably already starting out at a 5 or 6.

VS professional drivers/enthusiasts with tons of track time? Probably a 5 or 6 now, maybe a 7 to 8 when I was in my prime and tracked my cars regularly. I did get within 4 seconds of Car and Driver's Lightning Lap time at VIR back in 2008 they achieved with a GTR, same car, not sure about tire compound. That car is one of the easier cars to get a great time with though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I am careful, but I’m getting older. I’ve never had an accident that was my fault. A few times I’ve done something that could have been bad. I’d say I’m a 95% safe driver.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I started early with karts as well. Have raced several seasons in SCCA in the past, done several track days with various cars on multiple tracks around the country.

VS the average driver on the road? I'm a 10, which is what I'd say you are as well OP, the bar isn't exactly high vs most drivers on the road. I'm 41, my reflexes and vision have gotten slightly worse since my peak which was probably early 30's. Most drivers I can't even say are 5/10, the ones who cut across multiple lanes of traffic to make their exit without even bothering to look who they almost took out, people texting while driving, eating while driving, etc. Anyone who can drive without doing any of that is probably already starting out at a 5 or 6.

VS professional drivers/enthusiasts with tons of track time? Probably a 5 or 6 now, maybe a 7 to 8 when I was in my prime and tracked my cars regularly. I did get within 4 seconds of Car and Driver's Lightning Lap time at VIR back in 2008 they achieved with a GTR, same car, not sure about tire compound. That car is one of the easier cars to get a great time with though.
I’ve been driving since I was 13 one of my friends dad had a Gremlin with a 327 in it, very fast I grew up in Atlanta and we would sneak it out of the drive way. Pick up our Gfs and drive to the Varsity and around town.
Never had a Drivers license until I was 20ish still drove though lol. A friend of mine who raced karts and his dad took me out to a huge oval, For some reason I was under cutting my friends time by a good margin it just came easy no one showed me the line to follow it just felt it like the quickest way to go. So they stuck me on his kart he raced on and I did very good. I did race illegally for a while not my proudest moments to be sure.
Had a 914 that I raced for half a season did decently enough but even back then it was VERY expensive, too much to keep going. A bad wreck scared me too. And I’m 51 now.

Haven’t had a sports car in a good while closest thing I had in a while was my 00 Protege with had its own series. I want a last generation Mazda club sport waiting to they come down in price. Figure that will keep me sharp. Speed is fun but no real place to use it unless you have access to a track. One can flog the hell out of a Miata and get away with it.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:34 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If you were to rate yourself HONESTLY (not that I expect anyone to be honest.)how would you rate your driving skills?

I’m going to say a strong eight. I’m not always perfect and I have my moments where I might take my eyes off the road or my mind drirfts for a second. I think racing karts and having some amateur races when I was younger helped make me a more then decent driver.

Let the emblishments begin!
Well, I just completed the Defensive Driver Course offered by Allstate Insurance and I averaged 80 on all Quizs. Allstate thinks I am a better driver cause they gave me a 10% discount on premiums. I reccomend it.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:36 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

Well, I just completed the Defensive Driver Course offered by Allstate Insurance and I averaged 80 on all Quizs. Allstate thinks I am a better driver cause they gave me a 10% discount on premiums. I reccomend it.
I HAD to take one in my 20s because I got caught being stupid.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,487 times
Probably a 9. During winter I do ice racing, practice drifting (never on roads) and generally get a lot of practice in on how to handle my car in extreme circumstances and conditions.

When on public roads I generally drive a little under the speed limit and keep track of what's going on around me and up ahead, so I can maximize fuel economy and minimize wear on brakes, without bothering other drivers. I keep my car in excellent mechanical condition and adjust the nut behind the wheel very conservatively to the conditions.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 PM

987 posts, read 779,931 times
I would say 7 if I have to pee otherwise 9

Old 03-21-2019, 08:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,360 times
I have been driving 51 years. I have had only one accident that was my fault, and it was caused by black ice on the road in 1987. My last accident that was not my fault was in January 1989. A woman ran a stop sign and T-boned me.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
I would say 7 as an average

Old 03-22-2019, 04:33 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
My strongest point is attentive. I refuse to have the radio on, will not ever use cruise control, and have never owned a cell phone. Nearly all my cars have been stick, And I have no clue how to use a direction finder.

I believe in playing a car like a piano, rather than prying with a crowbar, and I like the feel of shifting with one finger. Professional drivers have commented that I'm a good driver, I take that for what it's worth. No idea about reflexes, but many years at a broadcast control board have given me a good sense of timing, and I can drive by ear.

I've driven in 50 countries and my companions always made me do the driving, because I wasn't afraid to. So that makes me a bit smug.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-22-2019 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive