Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 03:09 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

If you were to rate yourself HONESTLY (not that I expect anyone to be honest.)how would you rate your driving skills?

I’m going to say a strong eight. I’m not always perfect and I have my moments where I might take my eyes off the road or my mind drirfts for a second. I think racing karts and having some amateur races when I was younger helped make me a more then decent driver.

Let the emblishments begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 03:17 PM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
8/10 as well. I've gotten compliments from passengers on my smooth driving. I change lanes with a purpose, don't jack rabbit from light-to-light, always signal and stay aware of my surroundings. Oh, and I don't camp out in the left lane. Even if I am going 10+ over on the highway and there's a fast car coming up behind me, I move right. I don't let it hurt my ego and pride.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:44 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
I rate my driving as a "stay off the road" lately. My medical problems make me an unsafe driver so it won't be long before I call my son to come get my truck.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:02 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
6. I don't speed or tailgate, signal before slowing down and/or turning and stay in the right lane most of the time.

Take my eyes off road sometimes and past prime years though.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:06 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
8/10 as well. I've gotten compliments from passengers on my smooth driving. I change lanes with a purpose, don't jack rabbit from light-to-light, always signal and stay aware of my surroundings. Oh, and I don't camp out in the left lane. Even if I am going 10+ over on the highway and there's a fast car coming up behind me, I move right. I don't let it hurt my ego and pride.
Basically I do the same. I benefit from owning a car with no real blind spots so I can keep track of all the vehicles around me, and my car is red so other drivers can see me. (Daylight running lights help as well.) And I always use turn signals -- it's just an automatic action, I don't think about it and there doesn't have to be anyone else on the road. And awareness is even more important right now, smack in the middle of pothole season.

I use my car for work, driving about 60k miles a year, so it's important for me to stay out of situations that might result in an accident and take me off the road (at least temporarily).

I'd give myself a grade of 9/10. Good on the highways, but wouldn't be any good at all on a race course. I do tend to drive somewhat aggressively at times, but have had no accidents since 1978.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
My driving is probably 7/10, but I drive a nanny car (Subaru Outback) with a number of safety features that help make me a safer driver. Interactive cruise control for one, set your following distance and the car matches the car in front all the way to a dead stop. The passenger and driver side mirrors have a light that displays when a car is near you in either lane. A proximity alarm alerts you when you are too close to another vehicle. If you move out of your travel lane with out signalling the mirrors light up. It even has "Lane keep assist" to move you back into your travel lane. I turned that feature off. A back up video display that indicates green, room to backup, yellow, when you are getting close to another vehicle, and red when the car applies the brakes. I still have to be alert, but the car really helps me stay alert.

I also drive a Ford pickup with none of that stuff and I do okay. I haven't had an accident since 1980.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:10 PM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
I would say 8-9 when I was younger, now that I am nearly 60, I'd say 7-8. I have also gotten compliments on my driving, including multiple times when I've needed to make emergency maneuvers quickly to avoid disaster. I do try to drive especially safely and conservatively these days, but neither my night vision nor my mental focus on long drives are quite as sharp as they used to be. You can't escape Father Time. This is one of the reasons I like all the driver assistance features on my 2019 car - like LED projector headlamps that swivel when you turn, automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist (Subaru).

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-21-2019 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
solid seven.
used to be a 9.
sometimes a 10.
i know now to allow
much more space for me
to make my maneuvers.
ask this same question
next year, and i hope
to be a solid six.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Solid 8. I have driven company trucks so long and I have a lot to lose by causing accidents it’s not worth it. I don’t drive faster than 70/75 but that’s early morning and if you drive slower you’ll get creamed. I keep my distance dont tailgate etc.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:53 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
I'm going to say 7.5, maybe 8. I do pretty well, but of course, there's room for improvement. Never had an accident, haven't had a ticket in many years. I don't always signal my lane changes, and I do tailgate slower drivers from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive