Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Like some of you have mentioned I too tend to have a heavy right foot at times, but only when I have a GOOD clear view of the road before me. Give me the right car and a clear day and the right twisty road. Well I’m sure some of you get where I’m going. On the interstate I tend to run faster then the speed limit by a good but again that’s IF the road conditions are good. Like some other I myself have driven across this country more then once without an accident to speed ticket.

The only times I’ve got a speeding ticket is in those small towns where they sit and lie in wait.
My last speeding ticket was coming up on 6 years ago. I am pretty good at avoiding them through luck and observing the behavior of other drivers. I don't use a radar detector anymore, since I had one that constantly gave off false alarms and took all the fun out of speeding. I decided that I'd rather risk a ticket than deal with it.

I was lucky that my last ticket was out of state and didn't show up on my driving record. For the most part, it doesn't really bother me to get a speeding ticket as long as it doesn't happen too often. There was only once, when I was in my 20s, when I had 2 tickets pretty close together. Otherwise, they've been nicely spaced out, so they weren't much of a concern.

Like you, I only speed when conditions are right - dry road, good clear view ahead, etc. But when those conditions present themselves, I find the temptation irresistible, and don't really care about the potential fine I might get hit with. For the most part, I consider speeding fines to be money well spent, as long as the speeding was done with relative safety.

Last edited by dazzleman; 03-23-2019 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
If you were to rate yourself HONESTLY (not that I expect anyone to be honest.)how would you rate your driving skills?

I’m going to say a strong eight. I’m not always perfect and I have my moments where I might take my eyes off the road or my mind drirfts for a second. I think racing karts and having some amateur races when I was younger helped make me a more then decent driver.

Let the emblishments begin!
i have to give myself an A for driving over 45 years with one minor fender bender when a lady ran a red light and we had a bit of a crash. I do take note of bad weather and slow down and take extra precautions when I see pedestrians nearby especially children. My one fault would be that I will open it up in rural areas.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:57 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
My last speeding ticket was coming up on 6 years ago. I am pretty good at avoiding them through luck and observing the behavior of other drivers. I don't use a radar detector anymore, since I had one that constantly gave off false alarms and took all the fun out of speeding. I decided that I'd rather risk a ticket than deal with it.

I was lucky that my last ticket was out of state and didn't show up on my driving record. For the most part, it doesn't really bother me to get a speeding ticket as long as it doesn't happen too often. There was only once, when I was in my 20s, when I had 2 tickets pretty close together. Otherwise, they've been nicely spaced out, so they weren't much of a concern.
I got my first one in over 20 years right before Christmas lol. The only thing that saved me was my clean driving record they lowered to so I got no points on my license.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I got my first one in over 20 years right before Christmas lol. The only thing that saved me was my clean driving record they lowered to so I got no points on my license.
Good outcome. I actually went 14 years without a speeding ticket before the last one that I got almost 6 years ago. I have to go 8 more years ticket-free to beat that record. I somehow doubt that will happen...

I have been incredibly lucky, plus I don't drive a ton of miles. But I have done countless trips to Boston in the last decade or so that should have been fertile ground for speeding tickets, and haven't gotten one yet. My buddy got several tickets on that drive and he doesn't drive any faster than I do.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:09 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Good outcome. I actually went 14 years without a speeding ticket before the last one that I got almost 6 years ago. I have to go 8 more years ticket-free to beat that record. I somehow doubt that will happen...

I have been incredibly lucky, plus I don't drive a ton of miles. But I have done countless trips to Boston in the last decade or so that should have been fertile ground for speeding tickets, and haven't gotten one yet. My buddy got several tickets on that drive and he doesn't drive any faster than I do.
Some times it’s a matter of stupid luck NOT getting one lol.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Some times it’s a matter of stupid luck NOT getting one lol.
I was talking to a guy from Virginia this week. He commented on how much above the speed limit people in Connecticut drive and said that if they did that in Virginia, they would surely be ticketed frequently. He said he has gotten 4 speeding tickets in his 10 years or so of driving. I think a lot of it is luck, and where you are driving. Connecticut seems to be pretty light on enforcement, and I rarely see people pulled over on the highway here. It's also fair to say that they're inconsistent, because every once in a while, they have saturation enforcement. Some of my buddies have gotten multiple tickets on Massachusetts highways, so they seem to have more enforcement, but so far I have slipped through the net there too.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
My answer is that it depends from what point of view are we being rated?

Being aware of traffic laws and knowing how to use them on the road, 8 - 9.

Being in control of my vehicle, knowing and utilizing its capabilities, I'd say 8 - 9.

From a defensive driving point of view, I'd give my self a 5 or 6.

From being aware of my surroundings and strategically driving to get where I am going, I'd say an 8.

In terms of being patient and willing to accept BS driving practices around me, I'd say a 4 - 5.

I have different driving styles for different situations. For the most part I've been more laid back lately though, just wanting to drive in the right lane with cruise control on doing the speed limit. Learning how to bite my tongue and count to ten! :-)

Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
I’ve been driving since 1971 so i drive pretty well growing up in Michigan and driving in all types of weather conditions and i continue to drive as i did in my 20,s i like all the safety features on today’s vehicles but i still rely on my own driving safety features my 2 eyes, and ears. No such things as backup cams or lane departure, or frontal collision emergency brake system.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
When I did a 360 slidding on black ice...that told me I had zero control of my vehicle. It boggles my mind that it states "at ALL times..Driver is to be in control of the vehicle. " lotsa luck with that when a:a strong wind snaps,black ice at night time,flood surge when heading down a back road. I still recall going around a sharp bend..at 20mph...and teens in a jeep joyriding at a high speed made a wide swoop over into my lane. It was a meet your maker moment. My choice was to slam into that car or slam into a creek embankment 'while still being in control". I chose the creek. The tow company came out ...saw the skid marks the jeep made and said...should I check up the road for them?
So brag all you want about wreck less joy ride high speed driving. My life doesn't deserve to come to an end because you want to live vicariously.
I give it a 6.5 because I'm honest..and objective in knowing I am not 100% safe or in control ...

Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Several decades ago, there was a survey of 1000 adult drivers asking them to self-rate.

100% said they were in the top half of drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive