Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 04:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times

Advertisements

I drive a car over 1000 miles per week for 25 years without an accident...that's saying something driving in the snow sleet and icy roads …...had many near misses with others

today's driving in much more challenging than in yesterdays ...with the amount of drivers on their phones..see it everyday …

yes im a decent driver but also realize it only takes one time....one second of a distracted driver or a driver falling asleep or skidding across the middle line on a snowy day ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 04:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,481 times
8/10 maybe, definitely no less but not sure if I'll flatter myself and say 9-10. Once I get behind the wheel, I want to get to my destination accident free, driving citation free, and as fast as possible(can't really be traffic free most the time in my location). I'm always asking myself, don't these people have to be somewhere? Drop/pick up kids at school, work, etc? If you step on it a little, every light won't catch us, the speed limit is 45 not 30! I'm a safe, defensive driver, I anticipate drivers moves, always checking my mirrors,I don't tailgate, but I drive like I have somewhere to be and I don't want to waste time in unnecessary traffic. I'm not a aggressive driver, as these drivers rub me the wrong way many times, ahole I'm in just as in a rush as you are! I'm not driving like you though, cutting people off, tailgating the crap out of me and others, what the heck are you doing driver!!??

I got my driver's license at 16, 16 years later I driven 1 million plus miles in my personal commuting, 16 ft box trucks, 24-26 ft box truck,s and 70 ft tractor trailers. In all weather conditions, snow,rain, wind, etc. I have driven all over this great country safely and efficiently, 8/10!

Old 03-22-2019, 04:50 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
I doubt they are being honest. I see to many idiots on the road to believe them.
Below are important questions to answer. In no particular ranking order.
Do you know the rules of a 4 way stop or do you think you know?
Do you stop at stops signs and look before proceeding?
Do you always use your turn signal?
Do you talk on your phone while driving?
Do you stay out of the left lane?
Do you know the last posted sign you drove by?
Do you run yellow lights?
Do you know if you are holding up traffic?
Do you pull out in front of people causing the the person you pulled in front of to substantially slow down?
Knowing and using that knowledge is two different things. Many know the answers they just don’t care.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
I've logged over a million miles by all modes in my lifetime (and very few of them by air), but regrettably, I KNOW I'm no longer the driver I once was. So I get around mostly by various forms of senior paratransit; the site below has been very helpful:

https://www.nadtc.org/

I haven't owned a vehicle for nearly a year and a half, but retain my driver's license for emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Today's driving in much more challenging than in yesterdays ...with the amount of drivers on their phones..see it everyday.
I have to agree that this is likely a factor, but at this point, law enforcement has neither the authority, nor the resources to prove it.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

I have to agree that this is likely a factor, but at this point, law enforcement has neither the authority, nor the resources to prove it.
I’m not sure if I can agree 100% with that, they have the resources to run speed traps or run your tags just for fun, etc. I think if they really wanted to crack down on cellphone use while driving they could.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:27 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m not sure if I can agree 100% with that, they have the resources to run speed traps or run your tags just for fun, etc. I think if they really wanted to crack down on cellphone usewhile driving they could.
In the event of an accident, they should have the authority to access cell phone call logs and prove cell phone activity at that time.

what applies to other criminal activity can be applied to "distracted" driving.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I've been close to a couple of near collisions, which I avoided simply by keeping a 3-second distance between myself and the car in front of me and by watching the line of traffic well ahead of me in both lanes.

But I have a question. In my driver ed days, long ago, I was taught that in bumper to bumper, slow moving rush-hour traffic in and out of Boston, I should only focus on the front of my car to avoid rear-enders. Was anyone else taught this? It seems to work. I was also taught that in the same kind of traffic, I should just signal my turn into the slow moving lanes, counter to three, and turn in without looking behind me. Same question.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If it weren't for my speeding, I'd be an 8/9 out of 10, I'd say. I've never needed to replace a clutch on manuals that I've owned for well over 100K. Starts and stops are very smooth, giving a very comfortable ride. I leave plenty of room, stay out of peoples' blind spots, signal well ahead of time, anticipate other drivers' lane changes by the flow of traffic, move out of the right lane to allow people entering the highway room to merge on, move to the right to allow faster cars to pass. I always drive defensively, never get mad at anyone's behavior on the road - just try to drop way back and let them move far ahead, if anyone is driving erratically or emotionally. My son repeatedly thanks me for having taught him how to anticipate "bozo" moves on the part of other drivers by reading the positioning and driving of cars around me, and pointing it out to him, when he was a passenger with us in childhood. He's never had an accident, and he says it's because of how well we taught him.

Deficiencies are, I would say, that my reaction time is average at best, and when conditions allow it, I tend to drive way too fast on the highway - even as fast as 90 mph. My car is a relatively new one, very comfortable, and you just don't realize how FAST it's going, unless you look at the speedometer frequently. WAZE has saved me from getting speeding tickets, I think - none for past nearly 20 years.
Like you, I am a chronic speeder when conditions allow it. I don't think that makes you a bad driver unless you're going faster than conditions or your reaction time allow. I go up to 90 mph or so on the highway if conditions are right. I don't tailgate or weave in and out of lanes, so my times at that speed are usually short unless the road is pretty empty, which happens sometimes but is not too common.

Why do you think you speed? For me, I think it's because I enjoy the sensation of speed and I like to know that I'm operating well outside the law. The risk of getting caught makes it fun for me. I'm also somewhat impatience, but I will take the opportunity to move the speedo needle well to the right even if I'm not in a hurry and don't have to be anywhere at a particular time.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:24 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
I doubt they are being honest. I see to many idiots on the road to believe them.
Below are important questions to answer. In no particular ranking order.
Do you know the rules of a 4 way stop or do you think you know?
Do you stop at stops signs and look before proceeding?
Do you always use your turn signal?
Do you talk on your phone while driving?
Do you stay out of the left lane?
Do you know the last posted sign you drove by?
Do you run yellow lights?
Do you know if you are holding up traffic?
Do you pull out in front of people causing the the person you pulled in front of to substantially slow down?
By your measures, I would say my driving is above average. I stop at stop signs, and make sure nobody is coming before I go. I always use my turn signal, and don't use my phone while driving. I use the left lane on the highway for passing (which to be fair I do often, since I drive faster than most people on the road when I can). I generally don't run yellow lights, don't hold up traffic and don't pull out in front of people who are close enough to have to slow down.

I am not a professionally trained driver so I know that I have limitations to my skills, and I avoid situations that would take me beyond those skills. I think I'm a decent driver most of the time, better than average, but I'm not one of the best performers in competitive driving like the F1 or the Grand Prix karts.

One thing I would add to measure skill - do you know enough to slow down when you need to? I see people in bad conditions like snow trying to drive as if the roads were dry. They think that because they have 4-wheel drive that they can ignore the weather. While 4-wheel drive is good for getting you go, it doesn't help at all with stopping. I am always conscious of how long it would take me to stop.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 AM

Like some of you have mentioned I too tend to have a heavy right foot at times, but only when I have a GOOD clear view of the road before me. Give me the right car and a clear day and the right twisty road. Well I’m sure some of you get where I’m going. On the interstate I tend to run faster then the speed limit by a good but again that’s IF the road conditions are good. Like some other I myself have driven across this country more then once without an accident to speed ticket.

The only times I’ve got a speeding ticket is in those small towns where they sit and lie in wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive