Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:52 PM

18 posts, read 43,568 times

Advertisements

Need advice here.

I bought a brand new Maxima just over 3 weeks ago and after signing the papers and during the walk through of the functions with the salesman, we notice that the SD card where all the navigation and GPS data and radio memory (including Bluetooth settings) are stored on is missing. Salesman said he will order one and it should be in 3-4 days. I say no problem. Note that these SD cards are supposedly programmed for specific cars based on the car's VIN number so he could not pull one from another car from the lot.

So 3-4 days becomes 8 days and I go in after I hear the card is finally in. The salesman puts it in, goes through 45 minutes worth of updates and then we are asked to put in a key code to activate the card. Salesman checks the envelope the card came in, no key. Asks his manager, service managers, mechanics and no one know what that is or how to go about getting one. They tell me I have to come back another day since it was a Saturday and they have to call Nissan's technical support line which is unavailable on the weekends.

I can't go in on weekdays as it is a good drive for me so I make an appointment for following Saturday. I call the day before and ask the Service Manager if they are all cool and that they have the key. He says all is good and they are ready so I go in the next day. He drives the car to the shop in the back where the mechanic who supposedly talked to technical support is at. I wait for 90 minutes and I am told that they could not get the darn thing to work. I found out that they didn't really have the code and they were just trying to hack into it. I am told that they found out that this scenario has never ever happened before anywhere in the world with a 2016 Maxima so no one even at the Nissan engineering and the external navigation company knows how to deal with. Now keep in mind that nothing is broken and all we need is a key code. So the Service Manager tells me that I have to come back during the week so they can get a Nissan engineer on the phone at the same time. I am now fairly pissed off going on three weeks without being able to using my radio unless I want to program it every time I start the engine. I paid over $40K for this brand new car after all and have to do this.

Now here comes the question (finally). I am now told that they need to replace my entire radio which in this car is a good size block of electronics (the GPS, CD Player, the screen, etc.) in the dash. My friends tell me I am crazy if I let them do that to a new car because it will never be the same and it might create rattling noise, etc. I am trying to be positive about it and feel like I should let them replace it and get this over with. So what would you guys do? I am not even sure if I have any other options other than asking for another car by which I will probably get laughed at. Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the long message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 05:36 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brons7 View Post
Need advice here.

I bought a brand new Maxima just over 3 weeks ago and after signing the papers and during the walk through of the functions with the salesman, we notice that the SD card where all the navigation and GPS data and radio memory (including Bluetooth settings) are stored on is missing. Salesman said he will order one and it should be in 3-4 days. I say no problem. Note that these SD cards are supposedly programmed for specific cars based on the car's VIN number so he could not pull one from another car from the lot.

So 3-4 days becomes 8 days and I go in after I hear the card is finally in. The salesman puts it in, goes through 45 minutes worth of updates and then we are asked to put in a key code to activate the card. Salesman checks the envelope the card came in, no key. Asks his manager, service managers, mechanics and no one know what that is or how to go about getting one. They tell me I have to come back another day since it was a Saturday and they have to call Nissan's technical support line which is unavailable on the weekends.

I can't go in on weekdays as it is a good drive for me so I make an appointment for following Saturday. I call the day before and ask the Service Manager if they are all cool and that they have the key. He says all is good and they are ready so I go in the next day. He drives the car to the shop in the back where the mechanic who supposedly talked to technical support is at. I wait for 90 minutes and I am told that they could not get the darn thing to work. I found out that they didn't really have the code and they were just trying to hack into it. I am told that they found out that this scenario has never ever happened before anywhere in the world with a 2016 Maxima so no one even at the Nissan engineering and the external navigation company knows how to deal with. Now keep in mind that nothing is broken and all we need is a key code. So the Service Manager tells me that I have to come back during the week so they can get a Nissan engineer on the phone at the same time. I am now fairly pissed off going on three weeks without being able to using my radio unless I want to program it every time I start the engine. I paid over $40K for this brand new car after all and have to do this.

Now here comes the question (finally). I am now told that they need to replace my entire radio which in this car is a good size block of electronics (the GPS, CD Player, the screen, etc.) in the dash. My friends tell me I am crazy if I let them do that to a new car because it will never be the same and it might create rattling noise, etc. I am trying to be positive about it and feel like I should let them replace it and get this over with. So what would you guys do? I am not even sure if I have any other options other than asking for another car by which I will probably get laughed at. Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the long message.
Never listen to friends on certain things - this being one of them...Parts are replaced on vehicles ALL the time with no problems.... I would let them replace the stereo and whatever else they needed to.. It is all under warranty the same as everything else..... They actually should have done this from the get go when they couldn't get it figured out... This is one of the reasons I really hate new cars..So much electronic stuff you get weird scenarios like this....

Old 09-08-2016, 05:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
What did the Nissan engineer say about the radio?

Pretty much, your radio is locked and no one knows how to unlock it.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:26 PM

308 posts, read 498,973 times
I would go ahead let them replace all the necessary parts.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Warranty repair, if it rattles, again warranty repair.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:

So let's say your radio exploded during the car's warranty period, would you still have the same concern if they had to replace it? Or are you going to insist they replace the entire car?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:31 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
I think your friend is crazy. Replacing electronics should be absolutely fine. Just do a careful inspection if there is any damage of your dash when they replace the necessary parts. Make sure it's the same exact unit and not some aftermarket item. It's mostly all plug and play. Keep all your receipts.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:37 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
The most important thing is to ask for some compensation (accessories, service) for the inconvenience they are causing you. Have them replace the entire unit and inspect the car carefully and only accept it to your satisfaction.

I had to have Infiniti replace my entire windshield a few weeks after bough it brand new not too long ago. I didn't notice a scratch on the lower side on the windshield until I wash my car for the first time. By that time, they were not going to replace my car so corporate office agreed to replace the entire windshield.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Need advice here.

They need to replace the whole damn car in my opinion. Ludicrous.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:59 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,235 times
Can you not go to a different dealer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive