Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 PM

61,741 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

Are you saying that it will cost more than $12K to fix the car??

Maybe at least you can sell the car for parts.
https://www.carsdirect.com/sell-cars...-car-for-parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I did not hear anything swishing in the car when we drove it. The notes just say “major water leak” they didn’t diagnose it.

The cost to fix the water issue exceeds the value of the car. I am flipping out right now. To me, that just seems illegal to sell a car that should have been totaled, but of course they are claiming ignorance.

There are multiple vacuum leaks that are causing the car to fail inspection.

Fix the vacuum leaks. This is what is triggering the check engine light.

You bought it "as is" not "as is, if it passes inspection". It's not illegal sell a car no matter how damaged, if it was then junk yards wouldn't be able to buy cars for parts.

If the water issue is not making the car undriveable, then don't fix it.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Definitely get in touch with AMEX. That plastic lawyer may very well save your bacon.

All *credit* cards that I know of, if you buy a product and it turns out to be defective, will charge back the merchant.

Do put the charge in dispute post haste, tout suite.

Only where products carried an implied warranty of merchantibility. An "as is" provision explicitly overrides an implied provision.

I doubt this is the first (or one hundred and first) time this dealer has had a customer buy "as is" and regret it. If a credit card chargeback was effective in this scenario they wouldn't accept credit cards at all.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I have a lawyer friend who is looking into it. The cost is $15k to fix it, have the details, gave it to the dealer.

Of course we had no idea it had a water leak, our mechanic didn’t even catch it. Makes me think something internal is leaking.

Who gave you the $15K estimate? Maybe you need to take it to a third place for a tie-breaker?

Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I did not hear anything swishing in the car when we drove it. The notes just say “major water leak” they didn’t diagnose it.

The cost to fix the water issue exceeds the value of the car. I am flipping out right now. To me, that just seems illegal to sell a car that should have been totaled, but of course they are claiming ignorance.

There are multiple vacuum leaks that are causing the car to fail inspection.

Quote:
I have a lawyer friend who is looking into it. The cost is $15k to fix it, have the details, gave it to the dealer.

Of course we had no idea it had a water leak, our mechanic didn’t even catch it. Makes me think something internal is leaking.

Sorry, anxiety and stress get to me tremendously. Appreciate your kind words and offer for some guidance.
Who wrote the notes that said “major water leak”?

I am confused - if the leak occurred AFTER you bought the car, then why are you saying that: "it seems illegal to sell a car that should have been totaled".

If the leak occurred after you bought the car, then how it's possible that all the wiring looks already "rusted and sketchy"?

Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Let the car dealer know you plan to write a review on yelp about the dealership and the car problems that occurred. I did this one time when a merchant was giving me a hard time about a product that broke prematurely. When I mentioned the yelp review, he became more cooperative.

If you do write a review just make sure its factual.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
This is why 10-year-old cars sell for a fraction of new cars -- risk discount. Sometimes the risk works in the buyer's favor, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Let the car dealer know you plan to write a review on yelp about the dealership and the car problems that occurred. I did this one time when a merchant was giving me a hard time about a product that broke prematurely. When I mentioned the yelp review, he became more cooperative.

If you do write a review just make sure its factual.
Only if this is a reputable car dealer. But a reputable car dealer would not sell salvaged car for $12K without notifying the buyer.
The crooks usually don't care about their reputation, because people in need and bad credit don't care about reviews - they care about getting a "deal". (I am NOT saying that OP was in need or had a bad credit)

OP - did you get the title with the car??

Old 08-13-2019, 08:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
I don’t have the title yet.

So...

1.Bought the car, the check engine light came on. Brought it right to our mechanic who said it was just a sensor they could fix a couple of hundred dollars. Fine.

2. Light came back on, mechanic said bring it to the dealer, not sure what it could be.

3. Brought it to the dealer. They looked, found major issues. There were a few minor electrical things we didn’t notice. We asked the, to look into why they weren’t working, and that’s when the water was uncovered.

They put together an estimate to fix all the electrical, replacing the body harness. In order to do this, it would exceed the cost of the car, $12k.

It sounds as if we’ll have to sell it for parts... god damnit.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
I don’t have the title yet.

So...

1.Bought the car, the check engine light came on. Brought it right to our mechanic who said it was just a sensor they could fix a couple of hundred dollars. Fine.

2. Light came back on, mechanic said bring it to the dealer, not sure what it could be.

3. Brought it to the dealer. They looked, found major issues. There were a few minor electrical things we didn’t notice. We asked the, to look into why they weren’t working, and that’s when the water was uncovered.

They put together an estimate to fix all the electrical, replacing the body harness. In order to do this, it would exceed the cost of the car, $12k.

It sounds as if we’ll have to sell it for parts... god damnit.
Where is the title?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive