Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
OP it would help if you posted an itemized list of what is wrong.
OP is very enigmatic about what REALLY happened. Lots of unanswered questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 07:11 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Amex won’t guarantee a car purchase, we already checked. We have an estimate to fix things to keep car to pass the inspection, clear out the water and it will be good for now.

Thanks everyone for their insight. First as is car, don’t know if I’ll ever do that again!!
If you do, have it inspected by an independent mechanic before purchase.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
We bought it in our Amex, so we may dispute the charge. However is that even legal??

Two questions:

1. What about lemon laws?
2. If I can’t register the car, I can’t drive it. Is it legal to sell a car like this?
Why are you questioning the legality of the sale? Yes, people sell vehicles like this everyday. Most folks just know what they're getting.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:39 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,907,445 times
One point I haven't seen mentioned, if you can prove fraud you have a case. If the dealer sold you a vehicle that was in a flood and was aware of it, he could be liable for fraud and have to refund your money. The fact it can't pass inspection could also save you, worth while to consult a lawyer.
In most cases, as is is as is, however not in a case of fraud..

Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
As crazy as it sounds, you may have been in a better position had you financed the vehicle, that way you could stop making payments and eventually it would go before a local circuit court judge (when the financial institution tried to come after you for a judgement).

I had a neighbor that bought a POS car like this but he financed it, he never made one payment, when it went before the judge, (this particular judge was known for siding with the little guy). he dismissed the suit entirely! the guy got out of it 100%.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
As crazy as it sounds, you may have been in a better position had you financed the vehicle, that way you could stop making payments and eventually it would go before a local circuit court judge (when the financial institution tried to come after you for a judgement).

I had a neighbor that bought a POS car like this but he financed it, he never made one payment, when it went before the judge, (this particular judge was known for siding with the little guy). he dismissed the suit entirely! the guy got out of it 100%.

No faster way to ruin your credit rating than to not make payments. Even if you do prevail in court, that is totally different from your payment history. ( I was in credit management for a good portion of my life.)

Basically, the financier doesn't care if the car was a lemon or not, they only know they loaned you the money to buy it. If you made a mistake, it is YOUR mistake.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:51 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
So let me get this straight - you bought a used car from a car dealer that is a flood car? and you haven't received the title yet?
If the car has a salvage title and they didn't disclose that you have a legal argument to get your money back as this is fraud. If the title is clear, or has a salvage title and they disclosed it (you'd have been nuts to buy it if this is the case btw) then you are probably screwed.

Btw there's nothing unusual about waiting a few weeks to receive your title when buying a used vehicle without financing from a dealership - I've done this in a few different states and that's how it's always worked for me.

Last edited by duke944; 08-15-2019 at 03:14 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Scrap the car now or be prepared to invest in a never ending money pit. Chalk up whatever you paid for the car as expensive experience.. As the car was bought from a dealer threaten legal action and see how the dealer responds.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:16 AM

70 posts, read 121,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Here in NY, there is a 30 day lemon law that protects anyone that buys a car from any dealer, I believe. Check with your state laws. Also, they can’t sell a car with a salvaged title. Check for that.
This is valid for vehicle under 100k miles in NY and only covers specific items, not the entire vehicle. But this one sounds like it wouldn't have been able to be sold in NY because dealers are required to have them inspected and this one would have failed due to the check engine light.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:53 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
One point I haven't seen mentioned, if you can prove fraud you have a case. If the dealer sold you a vehicle that was in a flood and was aware of it, he could be liable for fraud and have to refund your money. The fact it can't pass inspection could also save you, worth while to consult a lawyer.
In most cases, as is is as is, however not in a case of fraud..
She said they had a CarFax done. If that didn’t show the car was flooded I don’t know how OP could show the dealer knew (if it even was).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive