Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 03:58 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s a game dude. The sales guy knows exactly the numbers on the cars they sell. If you’re making a deal and it takes over a hour start to finish you already lost.
Go in make your best deal out the door, if they come back with anything other than yes get up walk out

Knew a guy who did a variation on that. He wrote his price and phone number down and said "Call me if you change your mind," When he walked in the door, his phone was ringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
My real question is why not just put a price on the car. This car is $X out the door. No haggle, no game, no salespeople.
Take the game away and let it be real price competition between dealers and brands. Yes, I know, I'm dreaming. The game is there to keep people from know the real cost and prevent competition from actually working to reduce the price of the car. I know some people get a kick out of "putting one over on the dealer" but reality is most haggling is over fractions of the price whereas true competition would bring the price down even more.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:56 AM

251 posts, read 236,856 times
I know some people get a kick out of "putting one over on the dealer" but reality is most haggling is over fractions of the price whereas true competition would bring the price down even more.<<<< I agree but the problem is MOST dealers are so seasoned they know how to get over on you

Old 08-18-2019, 11:13 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My real question is why not just put a price on the car. This car is $X out the door. No haggle, no game, no salespeople.
Because most customers are willing to play the game, and the dealer always wins when they do.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:18 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Selling cars is no different than selling any other consumer product given the salesperson is always pretty much just the intermediary between the customer and the company price.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Knew a guy who did a variation on that. He wrote his price and phone number down and said "Call me if you change your mind," When he walked in the door, his phone was ringing.
Yup. I’ve done that before. The thing is when I go buy a vehicle...I don’t care if I get it. If the deal doesn’t happen that’s ok, I still have my well running paid off vehicle I can easily drive back home in and park in my driveway. So if I do t get a new shiny car it’s not the end of the world. They will always make new cars. To me that makes the difference. I’m not foaming at the mouth to get a car.ive walked away from plenty of “deals”.
In fact funny enough I walked away from a car I was gonna buy this morning. Deal wasn’t what I liked.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Just seems like a lousy "job" as a car salesperson you have NO CONTROL at all over what you earn unlike most jobs that wither pay a salary you accepted ( or have no choice)

just seems to me a car salesperson is nothing more than a glorified greeter

Old 08-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Why do car dealers tell customers you stole the car and we made no money on you?? why Lie??? I ever hear that again I will walk out tear up the contract and leave

Old 08-18-2019, 01:00 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
Why do car dealers tell customers you stole the car and we made no money on you?? why Lie??? I ever hear that again I will walk out tear up the contract and leave

Yeah and you will really show them. Next customer please

Old 08-18-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Yeah and you will really show them. Next customer please
well the goal in doing that is to have the salesperson lose their commission maybe next time they will be honest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive