Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
My last new vehicle purchase was nearly five years ago, and that was exactly the response (if they would even respond at all) I was getting from dealers, when attempting to get price quotes on specific vehicles, even though I specifically stated I would visit in person to complete the purchase, upon my acceptance of the quote. Their "Internet Sales Staff" were nothing more than sales associates who worked to get customers who initiated contact via email/internet in the front door and on their turf, as opposed to the prospect just showing up on the lot in person out of the blue.

I was hoping dealers had become more accommodating to online negotiation since that time, but perhaps they haven't. May be more of a regional thing, or dependent upon the practices of the dominant automotive group(s) that operate the dealerships in a given area.
I can say that in my area at least, there are so many dealers that even if only 1/3 respond to emails that still gives me about 2 or 3 to negotiate online with. They "all" start with the come in and test drive line but some will eventually give in and write you back.

The key is to negotiate the price and THEN go in and test drive the vehicle. But when you arrive, don't tell anybody who you are and just test the vehicle like a random shopper. It gets a bit awkward when they realize you already have the price negotiated and they do get a little angry even but so what. It can throw off their game because if you show up and say I'm so and so from the emails they can have a counter scenario ready to increase the price. Its a lot easier to stand firm on a price agreed than to negotiate one down to a level you are willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
First, Do your homework, pricing, day of the month to go, etc. Do your financing before setting foot in a dealership.

When making a deal. If the salesman has a short talk with the sales manager. You're paying too much. I dont mind dealing. Making him have several meetings with the sales manager. The better deal you're getting the longer their meetings. Looking at other areas to charge you, to possibly make up the difference. I have had the sales manager, stroll over, stand off at a distance, close enough to hear but acting like he is doing something, listening to me and the sales person talk. They are there to make money. Its up to you to not let them s***w you. One ploy I use, is to make a ridiculously low price, one you know they cant sell it to you. See how they act. Then slowly work up. They dont like that game. Some dealers don't deal very well. I go somewhere else. Its my money.
Agree completely with your first two sentences.

The second paragraph--you sound like you play the game well. One has to be prepared for the game. It is a stupid, ridiculous game--however I do play it well. I am a woman and they always think they can get over me.

You have to go in there prepared. One has to do their research before walking into the Dealer.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
The ultimate power play for the customer is always, ALWAYS buying the extended warranty for the used Land Rover

Old 08-20-2019, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Years ago a friend walked into a Porsche Dealer with another co-worker. They knew what they wanted and wrote an offer for both cars. The sales guy turned them down. They told him that was fine. In our area we have maybe 4 Porsche Dealers in an hour of each other. They got into the car and left. Not even 10 minutes later and they get a call to come back, the dealer decided that they could make that deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive