Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 01:14 PM

17,342 posts, read 12,297,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My real question is why not just put a price on the car. This car is $X out the door. No haggle, no game, no salespeople.
Take the game away and let it be real price competition between dealers and brands. Yes, I know, I'm dreaming. The game is there to keep people from know the real cost and prevent competition from actually working to reduce the price of the car. I know some people get a kick out of "putting one over on the dealer" but reality is most haggling is over fractions of the price whereas true competition would bring the price down even more.
Saturn did it. Scion did it. Carmax does it. Some dealers independently do that.

It exists, market isn’t a huge fan of it and seems to prefer the negotiation game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 01:14 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,604,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
well the goal in doing that is to have the salesperson lose their commission maybe next time they will be honest
A car salesman is not paid to be honest, he's paid to get the customer to spend the highest amount of money in the least amount of time.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:17 PM

251 posts, read 238,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A car salesman is not paid to be honest, he's paid to get the customer to spend the highest amount of money in the least amount of time.
what you said I need to disagree with......... You get an honest salesperson that has and will be selling cars for years will get MANY MORE REPEAT CUSTOMERS BY BEING HONEST

Remember customers now have the internet and can check things if you get "caught" being dishonest nowadays it will cost you

Old 08-18-2019, 01:18 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,638,615 times
Quote:
well the goal in doing that is to have the salesperson lose their commission maybe next time they will be honest
You don’t buy enough vehicles for your move to be impactful. Most people like to hear or think they got a good deal so the practice will continue to be used.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You don’t buy enough vehicles for your move to be impactful. Most people like to hear or think they got a good deal so the practice will continue to be used.

Gotta disagree again, many people lease now and do so every 3 years. So, be dishonest and see if you get repeat customers?

Old 08-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

Sure got a good deal that's fine but to say>>>>>>>> WE MADE NO $$ ON THIS DEAL IT WAS A NOTHING DEAL.................

Salespeople that do that suck!! we ALL KNOW no one is in business to lose $

Old 08-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My real question is why not just put a price on the car. This car is $X out the door. No haggle, no game, no salespeople.
Take the game away and let it be real price competition between dealers and brands. Yes, I know, I'm dreaming. The game is there to keep people from know the real cost and prevent competition from actually working to reduce the price of the car. I know some people get a kick out of "putting one over on the dealer" but reality is most haggling is over fractions of the price whereas true competition would bring the price down even more.
Because then everyone would be getting ripped off instead of just the ones who don't know how to play the game. The sticker price of the 2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ that I bought in June of 2016 was $52,430. The dealer's sticker price was $57,272. Would I want to pay either of those amounts? No, I wouldn't. But some people are dumb enough to do so. I paid $36,622 plus $280 for plates and two year registration. So out the door for $36,902. That's for a brand new truck with 12 miles on the odo and no trade in to obfuscate the real price. While the dealer didn't make a whole lot of profit off of me, they did from all the suckers that pay the asking price. I'd never have gotten the price I did if there was a no-haggle pricing scheme in place.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
what you said I need to disagree with......... You get an honest salesperson that has and will be selling cars for years will get MANY MORE REPEAT CUSTOMERS BY BEING HONEST

Remember customers now have the internet and can check things if you get "caught" being dishonest nowadays it will cost you
How long do you think an honest salesman will remain employed? You either move cars out the door or you get fired. Repeat customers won't be back for years or even a decade of more and by then the salesman who sold you your last vehicle will almost certainly be gone and forgotten.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:27 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,638,615 times
Quote:
Sure got a good deal that's fine but to say>>>>>>>> WE MADE NO $$ ON THIS DEAL IT WAS A NOTHING DEAL.................

Salespeople that do that suck!! we ALL KNOW no one is in business to lose $

Are you as considered when someone at a department store says “that shirt looks great on you” ? It’s inconsequential

Old 08-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
How long do you think an honest salesman will remain employed? You either move cars out the door or you get fired. Repeat customers won't be back for years or even a decade of more.
if you have been in the business say 10 years you should get many coming back asking for you IF your honest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive