Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times

Advertisements

Why are you still buying cars like it’s the 1980s?

Test drive cars.
Walk away.
Get e-mail out the door quotes from the internet sales folks from every dealer in a 200 mile radius.
Go with the best one.

Salespeople just fetch keys for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM

251 posts, read 236,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Why are you still buying cars like it’s the 1980s?

Test drive cars.
Walk away.
Get e-mail out the door quotes from the internet sales folks from every dealer in a 200 mile radius.
Go with the best one.

Salespeople just fetch keys for you.
that is my point and these car salespeople suffer and cannot make $$

you ca get out the door quotes online but when you get there some dealers play games

Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Bottom line: No one is selling you anything; you're buying it.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 PM

251 posts, read 236,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bottom line: No one is selling you anything; you're buying it.
That may very well be. But why lie to me? tell me I STOLE THE CAR

"We lost $$ on this deal"

why lie..... you in business to LOOSE $$

Old 08-17-2019, 08:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Now without being an expert on this, I have a hunch the entire conversation between salesperson and sales manager is a choreographed game with predetermined outcomes that they have down to a tee due to them doing it several times a day every day of the week for an extended time period.
If the car is without issues, I know the deal's going to get done before I ever visit.
If they're off their nut with their asking price, I won't even darken their door.

I only buy cars privately if I personally know the owner, so I play the game and buy mostly from dealers.
Got my eye on a future one... these are exceptionally anal owners. I've bought two cars from them previously.
I've already let 'em know that they should talk to me if they decide to sell.
I'm ready to beat any other offer they might get because I'll pay top dollar for quality.

This is an older luxury car. The best often ends up being the cheapest.

Last edited by eaton53; 08-17-2019 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 08:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,912 times
I sold cars for a year.

1) the GM or manager will not go on all those ride alongs.
2) they do not have time to explain all the features of every car sold.
3) they do not have time to answer everyone's questions about cars they are there to look into.
4) every deal is different
5) many dealers dont even do commission on profit, but rather hourly rate or just # of cars sold.
6) new cars don't have much profit for the front of the house. Finance is the money maker.
7) the more time you force the dealer to invest without being nasty or rude, the better the deal you will get, as you whittle them down to "sell the damn thing or send that guy out!", so I always approach a dealer first asking "will you move a car at a minideal/invoice and split holdback with me?" If they will, its sold and done and they made several hundred dollars an hour at that rate. If not, I go elsewhere...unless it's a limited availability vehicle, in which case, see the start of this paragraph.
8) personality sells cars. Period. You need many personalities, as just 3-4 (managers only) will quickly polarize a population with regard to the dealership much more than 20 sales people will.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
I agree, but you're missing my point, I feel bad for these salespeople there PUPPETS that have some """""""""""BOSS"""""""""""" taking food off their table when its not necessary.

I feel car salespeople SHOULD have some way to make their own deal ( to a point) but the way the business is set now. many go to work and can't do a thing except what the boss says

I know for a fact there are some deals that would net the dealership a $1000 profit and perhaps a 100 or more commission for the sales rep. BUT the GREEDY """BOSS"""""""" Just took that $$ away from the dealership and the salesperson because the """""""""BOSS""""""" wanted a profit of $1,800 NO LESS.

so the sale person loses all thanks to a greedy boss.

I sure would HATE a JOB where someone else is in CONTROL of what I earn. especially when If given the chance (by having a book of costs etc... ) that the salesperson can make their own deal at least to some degree. I realize when trade-in"s are involeed it can be a lot more tricky.
No you’re missing the point. They aren’t puppets. You are the puppet.

Unless you work for yourself you must hate every job out there.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,800,781 times
mdc1022, before I purchased my last car (new, first new car in thirty years, as I don't like dealing with new car dealers!) I researched the business model on YouTube. Worth your time. The "salespeople" who you first encounter are the lowest rung of the sales model for car dealerships. The people who actually are tasked with making money are the people in "Finance and Insurance" also called managers, or business managers.

The only safe way to purchase a new car is to do so without going into a dealership. Use email. Tell them exactly what you wish to purchase, and ask them for the "out the door price." Some places won't respond. Others will, but will ask for a phone number. Don't give them one.

Find the dealer with the lowest o-t-d price, period. Don't permit them to tack on any additional expenses. The are all nonsense. I purchased my last car (new) while I was in AZ, from a MA dealer. All the paperwork was done overnight express. I came in to pick up my car when I flew back to MA from my winter place.

Another poster mentioned that you have to remember, you are the person with the money. You control the situation. Walk away if you are uncomfortable. Don't be rude, just be an adult. Don't let them play mind games with you (and they will. That's how they are trained!).

Again, spend a few minutes on YouTube, looking at car sales tactics.

My personal favorite is a fellow named Steve Richards. He trains car salespeople. I watched him demonstrate to a customer how a +$500 dollar a month car expense was actually $140 bucks!!

If the above confuses you, watch the Abotte and Costello routine, "$7 goes into 28 13 times."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzxVyO6cpos

Funny, and a similar technique was used by Richards to get the result he wished for!

Rich

Old 08-17-2019, 09:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Not all dealerships and not all sales people are the same. We have bought our last 3 new vehicles from the same Ford dealer, a 2007 Ranger, a 2014 Escape, and a 2017 F150.
In every case the sales person agreed to my first offer. Perhaps the manager gives them a certain range of latitude. Only the trade-ins were dependent upon evaluation by someone else, but then in 2 of the 3 cases the used car guy ended up giving more than I wanted for the trades. When I bought the F150, for example, I wanted $7,500 trade for the Ranger, they offered me $8,400.

Ranger sticker was $26,000+, got it for $22,000
Escape sticker was $28,000+, got it for $23,000
F150 sticker was $46,800, got it for $36,000.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:17 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Now without being an expert on this, I have a hunch the entire conversation between salesperson and sales manager is a choreographed game with predetermined outcomes that they have down to a tee due to them doing it several times a day every day of the week for an extended time period.

First, Do your homework, pricing, day of the month to go, etc. Do your financing before setting foot in a dealership.

When making a deal. If the salesman has a short talk with the sales manager. You're paying too much. I dont mind dealing. Making him have several meetings with the sales manager. The better deal you're getting the longer their meetings. Looking at other areas to charge you, to possibly make up the difference. I have had the sales manager, stroll over, stand off at a distance, close enough to hear but acting like he is doing something, listening to me and the sales person talk. They are there to make money. Its up to you to not let them s***w you. One ploy I use, is to make a ridiculously low price, one you know they cant sell it to you. See how they act. Then slowly work up. They dont like that game. Some dealers dont deal very well. I go somewhere else. Its my money.

Last edited by RcHydro; 08-17-2019 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive