Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:40 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

I’ll take the Tundra over the base V6 F150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 03:21 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
I would take the v6 F150 over the Tundra - 5 years newer, 100k less miles, lower cost to operate, less to insure - I am not getting a truck to race with or without a tow.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You have a point. It'll tough to get a $26K for a 2015 Tundra.
That?s gonna be his biggest hurdle. A sales guy will say whatever to schmooze you, but the sales manager isn?t paying 26k for a 5 year old tundra. He still needs to sell it.

That?s a tough one. He?s driving 30k a year and he?s basically looking to be upside down. Rather than transferring the balance to the new truck (if he can?t walk away from the Tundra) I would just keep driving that Tundra. I don?t see why he can?t get to 300,000 with no issues as long as he maintains the vehicle.
You?re looking at about 6/7 years of driving. Sure it won?t be worth more than 4/5k when you?re done but so what.....you got your use out of it. People put way too much emphasis on trade/sale value. I’m not saving the car for the next guy. Drive it till Its done then go buy something else. Even a non running car has a few thousand dollars of worth in parts.

Just throwing this out. He may be able to walk away from the Toyota if he steps into a higher margin F150 where they can play the numbers more. He will still pay through the nose but he will be in a new truck. The glaring issue is he will blow through that 3/36 and 5/60 warranty in less than 1.5/2 years respectively. So at that point he will be back to driving a truck that has no warranty. All he?s doing is buying two years of warranty for outrageous costs.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 10-26-2019 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-26-2019, 08:12 AM

686 posts, read 806,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That?s gonna be his biggest hurdle. A sales guy will say whatever to schmooze you, but the sales manager isn?t paying 26k for a 5 year old tundra. He still needs to sell it.

That?s a tough one. He?s driving 30k a year and he?s basically looking to be upside down. Rather than transferring the balance to the new truck (if he can?t walk away from the Tundra) I would just keep driving that Tundra. I don?t see why he can?t get to 300,000 with no issues as long as he maintains the vehicle.
You?re looking at about 6/7 years of driving. Sure it won?t be worth more than 4/5k when you?re done but so what.....you got your use out of it. People put way too much emphasis on trade/sale value. I?m not saving the car for the next guy. Drive it till Its done then go buy something else. Even a non running car has a few thousand dollars of worth in parts.

Just throwing this out. He may be able to walk away from the Toyota if he steps into a higher margin F150 where they can play the numbers more. He will still pay through the nose but he will be in a new truck. The glaring issue is he will blow through that 3/36 and 5/60 warranty in less than 1.5/2 years respectively. So at that point he will be back to driving a truck that has no warranty. All he?s doing is buying two years of warranty for outrageous costs.
this is a solid post. thanks for the input. I agree with the resell value comment 100%. I bought this tundra knowing I would run it to death and still be able to have some value left when I am done.

The sales numbers were pretty cut and dry and they actually tried to show me a little more for the tundra after I test drove the f150 and decided i hated it. I could have been OTD at around $29,300. It wasn't really the engine I had an issue with because I use it 99% of the time on the highway and don't tow, but it was indeed a dog and boring to drive compared to my tundra. I really disliked the visibility, quality of interior materials, and the cabin layout. All in all I could be driving a new f150 but i wasn't impressed with the truck at all from any perspective.

The one thing that kept me uneasy was the fact that a brand new v6 f150 crew with a sticker of 42k was discounted to just a few thousand more than my 5 year old toyota with 100k miles.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:38 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Just my thoughts.... that 2015 Tundra will still be running strong when the 2019 F-150 is ready for the salvage yard.
F=Fix
O=Or
R=Repair
D=Daily
The 2 Toyota's(including a Tundra)I've owned gave me the least amount of maintenance problems.
Not sure if the F-150 has improved, but the last one I drove as a work truck felt like a tin can when compared to the Tundra.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:02 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Keep the Tundra. F150s are heavily discounted constantly, so there will always be a "good deal". The Tundra has already done most of it's depreciating, the F150 is going to depreciate quickly. Also, the OTD price they quoted you for a 3.3 2X4 XLT seems a bit high (at least in my area). If you just want something newer than the Tundra, a lightly used F150 is a reasonable choice. For the OTD price you were quoted for a new F150, I recently paid almost exactly the same for a 2017 F150 XLT 4X4, supercab, 6.5 ft bed, 3.5 Ecoboost, 302A package, 20" wheels, etc, etc., with 12K miles on it. It's almost perfect New MSRP was just north of $50K. I didn't get a particularly good deal, but the convenience of not having to waste time at a dealer and having it delivered to my house (I bought it through Carvana) was worth it. The point is, you can save a lot of money by buying a lightly used F150. There are plenty of them out there with very low mileage. Still, I'd keep the Tundra.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:02 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
F=Fix
O=Or
R=Repair
D=Daily
The 2 Toyota's(including a Tundra)I've owned gave me the least amount of maintenance problems.
Not sure if the F-150 has improved, but the last one I drove as a work truck felt like a tin can when compared to the Tundra.
Meh I have two Fords that are as reliable as any Toyota. My F150 was a good work truck. Hell I put 50k a year on mine. At the base model neither will be luxury car quiet. Btw maintenance isn?t a problem. I think you meant repairs. Most people mistake wear items as repairs.

What my real question is why is the 100,000 mile service 1,000 bucks. Toyota has a lot of inspecting and the only real replacement is oil and coolant. Even if you did all the fluids, oil coolant, brake, axles, differential and transmission you?re not looking at $1000.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...FFV_WMG_lr.pdf

Old 10-26-2019, 09:11 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
F=Fix
O=Or
R=Repair
D=Daily

I've owned several new Toyotas over the years:
1989 pickup
2005 Tacoma
2009 Corolla

All had problems with in months of purchase. Radio stuck on full volume, horrific high-pitched wind noise from the windshield, fuel door wouldn't open, rear doo wouldn't open, the door latch on the door frame broke off, erratic idle, etc. I could go on, but my personal experience with Toyotas has not been impressive.

I've also owned several new Fords over the years:
1989 Taurus SHO
1998 E250 extended van
2000 F150 SVT Lightning
2003 E350 15 passenger van

2011 Taurus SHO
2013 Flex Limited Ecoboost
2014 Taurus SHO
2019 Transit 350 LWB, high roof, medium length, 15 passenger

Several of the Fords were perfect, several had issues on par with the Toyotas.

Current F150s are better than current Tundras in terms of NVH, although the quality of the F150's interior materials is disappointing. Personally, the F150 pushes the right buttons for me, but I could easily live with a Tundra. While not relevant to this discussion, I consider the the 1st generation Tundra to be the best full-size truck ever made (rusty frames not withstanding). If they were available new, I'd buy one over any of the current full-size offerings.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:02 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Looks like you live around the Portland Ore. area. If you do any mountain driving, you'll learn to HATE that 3.3. They are gutless and can really eat gas in mountain driving. Your foot will probably get to know the floorboard intimately. I have the larger 3.7 that makes more HP and torque. Single digit fuel mileage in the mountains of North Carolina. Thankfully, I live in the relatively flat lands of Texas. When it comes to the Ford engines, you have to do a lot of research. The 3.3 is anemic at best. The 2.7 Ecobust is a joke with all kinds of issues including complete head replacements due to the head design does not use a valve seal. Oil usage is a major issue with some of these engines. Head replacement is the fix, parts are non-existent. The 3.5 Ecoboost is a dandy engine but it eats gas like a kid with candy if town driving. Expect 15mpgs town or less. Hiway, above 20 is common. The 5.0, while having issues with the timing chains and tensioners of the early 5.0, it seems they've pretty much worked all of the bugs out of the engine and it's about time. Bad news, it's future is bleak considering Ford will be dropping it in favor of a smaller V8. You might also want to know that the "new" 10 automatic transmission has been a major fail. According to Ford, the transmission slamming into gear, getting hung between gears, being in the wrong gear, is all "normal". Ford and GM developed this transmission in concert. GM can't make the POS work either. I've been a Ford owner since the 1970's. I've not found any other brand that lasts as long as the Fords I've had and have today. But I'd much rather keep what I have than gamble on a New truck of any brand out there. And that includes the ancient Tundra. In regards to the deal offered, unless that F150 is LOADED, it's a lousy deal. Around here for 34 grand drive out I can get a reasonably loaded F150 XLT 4 door for that kind of money with NO trade in. Unless you just have new truckitus, I'd keep driving that Tundra. New vehicles are getting to be like boats, a hole in space that you drop your money into.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
I'd keep the Toyota because it has motor and the Ford doesn't.
If the deal was similar for a new V8 truck, I might sing a different tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive