Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 03:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
I had Michelin Defenders on my 2009 Corolla, no problem at all. I only had them on spring , summer and fall, switching to Blizzaks for the snow season. The Blizzaks were incredible.
I liked the Defenders so much I put then on as a year round tire on the 2006 Honda CR . No problems there either.

I traded in the Corolla for a RAV 4, which has Bridgestones. I got to try them out a few weeks ago in snow, and that along with the snow setting on the RAV 4 was the most secure feeling drive I had ever experienced.
Michelin Defender tires for cars are NOT the same as Michelin Defender LTX. The former are designed specifically for long tread life and a comfy ride for passenger car tires only.

The Michelin Defender LTX in "P" sizes aren't really for passenger cars either. More for SUVs and light trucks. Usable for CUVs but they are more stout than passenger car tires. The "LT" versions are mainly for trucks only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Aren't snow/mud tires normally gunna be a little less comfortable than regular tires?

Some of the snow/mud tires I see, look like they have a similar tread-pattern as dirtbike
knobby-tires.........that HAS to have significant impact on ride-comfort.
Depends upon the tire. I have Yokohama's rated for snow (mountain snowflake symbol) on my truck and they actually feel slightly softer than the OEMs. They are making some all season tires now with snow rating (i.e. not quite dedicated snow tires).

There are mud/snow tires for trucks which are usually very knobby, and loud.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 12-25-2019 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 08:33 PM

49 posts, read 44,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Much louder too! When I put mine on the first time (took off Michelin performance summer only tires) and then drove 3 hrs to find forest roads, I hated them. They excelled on the first gravel road. I'm used to them now, but will be happy to take them off in the Spring.
Do you have the Michelin Defenders M&S also?

Old 12-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Michelin Defender tires for cars are NOT the same as Michelin Defender LTX. The former are designed specifically for long tread life and a comfy ride for passenger car tires only.

The Michelin Defender LTX in "P" sizes aren't really for passenger cars either. More for SUVs and light trucks. Usable for CUVs but they are more stout than passenger car tires. The "LT" versions are mainly for trucks only.

Depends upon the tire. I have Yokohama's rated for snow (mountain snowflake symbol) on my truck and they actually feel slightly softer than the OEMs. They are making some all season tires now with snow rating (i.e. not quite dedicated snow tires).

There are mud/snow tires for trucks which are usually very knobby, and loud.
In that case I don't know if they are P or LT. Will have to check. They are not loud. What bothers me is that I feel every little bump on the road.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:41 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypeach View Post
In that case I don't know if they are P or LT. Will have to check. They are not loud. What bothers me is that I feel every little bump on the road.

I love Michelin Defenders. I've had them installed on every vehicle I've owned for the past decade or more. Excellent mileage, excellent trade life, excellent all weather traction. If you feel every bump, you might check the tire pressure.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
I love Michelin Defenders. I've had them installed on every vehicle I've owned for the past decade or more. Excellent mileage, excellent trade life, excellent all weather traction. If you feel every bump, you might check the tire pressure.
Did you have Defenders M&S specifically? Seems like they have Defenders in other kinds also. Tire pressure is recommended at 33 psi and mine are set at 36. So, not very high.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:50 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Do you have the Michelin Defenders M&S also?
I do not, I run a Cooper Zeon LTZ and looking at treads of Cooper and Defenders, it’s much different. Mine are more aggressive and nobby for the mud, thus why they are louder and only reason I bought them. And the only all terrain tire I could find to fit my wheels.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
The tires are called Michelin Defender LTX M&S...so I am assuming they are LT? What's the difference between LT and P?

I have them at 36 psi. The recommended pressure is 33. I just keep them a tiny bit higher.

Can I ask which Michelin Defenders you have?
My Grand Marquis has the Michelin Defender H+T. My wife’s Infiniti has Michelin XLTs. But I haven’t had any issues with either tire.

Look at the size designation for your tire. So say it’s 235/70/16
If the letters before those numbers are LT or P
LT is usually for a light truck
P is passenger car.

The LT rated tires usually have a heavier load rating and stiffer sidewalls higher psi requirements. A few PSI can make a huge difference in ride comfort. I would experiment with a range of air pressures.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My Grand Marquis has the Michelin Defender H+T. My wife’s Infiniti has Michelin XLTs. But I haven’t had any issues with either tire.

Look at the size designation for your tire. So say it’s 235/70/16
If the letters before those numbers are LT or P
LT is usually for a light truck
P is passenger car.

The LT rated tires usually have a heavier load rating and stiffer sidewalls higher psi requirements. A few PSI can make a huge difference in ride comfort. I would experiment with a range of air pressures.
I remember asking the sales person at Discount Tire about Defender H+T but he said those are car tires and that LTX M&S would be more appropriate for Honda CRV. Do you think a couple of psi's can make a difference too? 33 is the recommended on this vehicle so I don't want to go lower than that but you think going down to 34 from 36 can also make a big difference?

Old 12-27-2019, 03:56 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
I remember asking the sales person at Discount Tire about Defender H+T but he said those are car tires and that LTX M&S would be more appropriate for Honda CRV.
Well, it looks like you got the store lackey, because the CR-V is a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireRack View Post
The Defender T+H tire is Michelin's Standard Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of coupes, family sedans, minivans and small crossover vehicles looking for a long-lasting, comfortable tire that delivers all-season traction in the dry, wet and light snow.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:17 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,913 times
Quote:
I remember asking the sales person at Discount Tire about Defender H+T but he said those are car tires and that LTX M&S would be more appropriate for Honda CRV. Do you think a couple of psi's can make a difference too? 33 is the recommended on this vehicle so I don't want to go lower than that but you think going down to 34 from 36 can also make a big difference?

Let me get this straight. You run overinflated tires, you complain that the ride is too harsh, and you are afraid of letting some air out in order to see if that makes a difference? Why are you afraid of running the recommended air pressure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive