Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 12:53 PM

49 posts, read 44,907 times

Advertisements

So I did stop by at Discount Tires yesterday. They looked at the tires and didn't find anything wrong with them. The first guy who took the car in reduced the tire pressure from 34 to 33 psi, which is what is recommended for my trim in Honda CRV. I told them I don't think that 1 psi will make a huge difference and what are my options if I wanted to do an exchange. They asked another person to come and talk to me and my friend who was accompanying me. This second guy said that these really are the best tires they have and I am not going to like anything else. I asked him about the exchange policy again and he said that they do have a 30 day refund/exchange policy but he would not recommend changing tires. My friend asked him if they have anything in the middle that would be comfortable as well as good on snow and he outright said that they don't have anything that's in the middle. He just did not want to show me any other tires. I had a couple of other tires in mind...one of them is a Continental and a different Michelin Defender. He said those two are pretty much the same as what I have and will not make a difference. I finally told him that I hate the ones I have and since they do have a 30 day warranty, which these tires come under, I definitely want an exchange. He said they will do it but I will have to come back on Monday (which I was going to do anyways) and will need to try the tires at 30 psi over the weekend. I told him that 30 is lower than what Honda recommends for my vehicle but he was pretty adamant that 30 is the correct psi for these tires and it will improve the ride. So, I did walk out with 30 psi in all four tires. It made a slight difference but not huge and now I am wondering is it even safe for me to drive with a lower than recommended tire pressure? That too in winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 01:01 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
The 30 psi will not hurt a thing other than long term wearing. You are exchanging them in a day, so don't worry.
I have run Continental DWS tired and the Michelins you are running. I like them both and currently run the Michelin's on one of my trucks. The Conti's provide a softer/smoother ride because the sidewalls are more flexible. The Michelins are better when the car or truck is driven closer to its limits.

Go with the Conti's if you are dead set on removing the Michelins

Old 12-29-2019, 01:06 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypeach View Post
So I did stop by at Discount Tires yesterday. They looked at the tires and didn't find anything wrong with them. The first guy who took the car in reduced the tire pressure from 34 to 33 psi, which is what is recommended for my trim in Honda CRV. I told them I don't think that 1 psi will make a huge difference and what are my options if I wanted to do an exchange. They asked another person to come and talk to me and my friend who was accompanying me. This second guy said that these really are the best tires they have and I am not going to like anything else. I asked him about the exchange policy again and he said that they do have a 30 day refund/exchange policy but he would not recommend changing tires. My friend asked him if they have anything in the middle that would be comfortable as well as good on snow and he outright said that they don't have anything that's in the middle. He just did not want to show me any other tires. I had a couple of other tires in mind...one of them is a Continental and a different Michelin Defender. He said those two are pretty much the same as what I have and will not make a difference. I finally told him that I hate the ones I have and since they do have a 30 day warranty, which these tires come under, I definitely want an exchange. He said they will do it but I will have to come back on Monday (which I was going to do anyways) and will need to try the tires at 30 psi over the weekend. I told him that 30 is lower than what Honda recommends for my vehicle but he was pretty adamant that 30 is the correct psi for these tires and it will improve the ride. So, I did walk out with 30 psi in all four tires. It made a slight difference but not huge and now I am wondering is it even safe for me to drive with a lower than recommended tire pressure? That too in winters.
Driving at 30 lbs won't be a problem. It actually is OK to drive with lower pressures in the winter as it increases traction (up to a point). Interesting now they say 30 lbs is the correct pressure...

But yes, it sounds like they didn't want to do the exchange again. Glad you stuck to your guns. The only reason you would need those Defender LTX tires would be if you did more off pavement driving. But for normal driving, passenger or crossover tires are fine...The LTXs are really for heavier SUVs and trucks.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
The 30 psi will not hurt a thing other than long term wearing. You are exchanging them in a day, so don't worry.
I have run Continental DWS tired and the Michelins you are running. I like them both and currently run the Michelin's on one of my trucks. The Conti's provide a softer/smoother ride because the sidewalls are more flexible. The Michelins are better when the car or truck is driven closer to its limits.

Go with the Conti's if you are dead set on removing the Michelins
Thanks so much. This puts my mind at ease. The Continentals that I liked are Control Contact. They seem to have good reviews on Discount Tires website.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Driving at 30 lbs won't be a problem. It actually is OK to drive with lower pressures in the winter as it increases traction (up to a point). Interesting now they say 30 lbs is the correct pressure...

But yes, it sounds like they didn't want to do the exchange again. Glad you stuck to your guns. The only reason you would need those Defender LTX tires would be if you did more off pavement driving. But for normal driving, passenger or crossover tires are fine...The LTXs are really for heavier SUVs and trucks.
You are right. The first person set them at the recommended 33 psi but the second one was so stuck on 30. My friend who went with me also drove my car for a bit before we went to the store and agreed that my car was driving like a truck. I have never driven a truck so I wouldn't know but she has driven trucks before.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Thanks so much. This puts my mind at ease. The Continentals that I liked are Control Contact. They seem to have good reviews on Discount Tires website.
They are a Discount Tire exclusive tire, which gives me pause.
Why aren't these sold everywhere? I would not buy anything that wasn't available from multiple sources.

Back to the Tire Rack guide... the top rated tire for your vehicle is the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They are a Discount Tire exclusive tire, which gives me pause.
Why aren't these available everywhere?
No idea. I picked those because it seemed like they had everything I needed - 80k miles warranty (I have a long everyday commute) and good rating on traction as well as comfort.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
No idea. I picked those because it seemed like they had everything I needed - 80k miles warranty (I have a long everyday commute) and good rating on traction as well as comfort.
Long warranty = hard tire.
I'd be inclined to believe the Tire Rack Decision Guide and let everything anyone at Discount Tire says go in one ear and out the other.
They've already lied to you several times and you still want to do business with these goofs??

Wouldn't touch a Discount Tire exclusive with a 10 foot pole. Corners were probably cut so they could sell 'em at a nice profit.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:11 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
If you live in MN and in twin cities, go to Norm’s Tires in Roseville for future tire purchases. Or buy on Tire Rack and pick them up at the Tire Rack warehouse in Roseville (two blocks from Norm’s) and have Norm’s swap them out.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If you live in MN and in twin cities, go to Norm’s Tires in Roseville for future tire purchases. Or buy on Tire Rack and pick them up at the Tire Rack warehouse in Roseville (two blocks from Norm’s) and have Norm’s swap them out.
I'd do whatever it takes to avoid that Discount Tire store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive