Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 09:46 PM

49 posts, read 44,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What do you mean? Michelin isn’t going to build a tire for one dealer at a lesser quality than another dealer. Unless we’re talking a in-house type brand....those are usually built within certain specs. And they have to pass tire safety for DOT.
I don’t have discount tire in my area. We have Americas tire which I believe is a sister company. Truthfully I had good luck with them until I didn’t. I actually took my complaint all the way to corporate and got satisfaction. Other than that I always got good service.

Michelin is normally a top of the line brand. Two of my vehicles currently run Michelin’s. My old Kia got a set of Continental tires which I thought were nowhere near as good as Michelin’s I replaced.
Do you mind me asking what complaint you had to take to the corporate? You are right, I have also heard that Americas Tire is a sister company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 10:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What do you mean? Michelin isn’t going to build a tire for one dealer at a lesser quality than another dealer. Unless we’re talking a in-house type brand....those are usually built within certain specs. And they have to pass tire safety for DOT.
I don’t have discount tire in my area. We have Americas tire which I believe is a sister company. Truthfully I had good luck with them until I didn’t. I actually took my complaint all the way to corporate and got satisfaction. Other than that I always got good service.

Michelin is normally a top of the line brand. Two of my vehicles currently run Michelin’s. My old Kia got a set of Continental tires which I thought were nowhere near as good as Michelin’s I replaced.
Who said anything about Michelin, other than the tire that was purchased got doesn't meet the OP's criteria?

Discount Tire is one of the largest sellers of tires in the country.
Continental is building a tire exclusively for them.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:47 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypeach View Post
I did check on the Continentals on their website again. They don't have Extreme Contacts for my vehicle. They have the Control Contacts and the True Contacts. The price is not very different. True Contacts are $8 cheaper than the Control Contacts per piece. From the description it seems like Control Contacts might be better in snow.
You're on the right track, continue forward!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Heck if I know. Doesn't really matter... they don't meet the OP's tire criteria.
You don't know the difference between the SUV/Truck version and the passenger car version of the Michelin Defender? Otherwise, you wouldn't make this statement...

Old 12-29-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post

You don't know the difference between the SUV/Truck version and the passenger car version of the Michelin Defender, do you? Otherwise, you wouldn't make this statement...
Uhh, the Defenders she got didn't meet her criteria.
If they did, she wouldn't be swapping them.

Quote:
Really?
OP should buy a tire that's made exclusively for people that are repeat liars?
I would in no way do anything that continued to tie me to this business.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Uhh, the Defenders she got didn't meet her criteria.
If they did, she wouldn't be swapping them.
Uhhhh...she could swap them for PASSENGER CAR versions of the Michelin Defender (T+H)...

Old 12-29-2019, 10:53 PM

[quote=Vic Romano;56972287]You're on the right track, continue forward!!!

Thank you! Do you know anything about Continental Control Contacts?

Old 12-29-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Uhhhh...she could swap them for PASSENGER CAR versions of the Michelin Defender (T+H)...
Why do that when the Tire Rack Guide says that they are not the top rated tire for her vehicle?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...autoModClar=EX
That is the category that came up as best suited for her vehicle when I plugged it in with snow traction and ride quality as priorities.

I've said many times that most OEM tires are crap and I always replace them with something else.
Check out where they fall in the survey. Not surprisingly, they're crap.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-29-2019 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-29-2019, 11:13 PM

[quote=cherrypeach;56972305]
Quote:

Thank you! Do you know anything about Continental Control Contacts?
Funny, I just remembered I have Continental Control Contact Sport A/S tires on my wagon. Although they are all-season, I wanted a good all around tire and didn't really plan to do much snow driving on these tires. Plus I do some occasional aggressive driving. But I have had no problems with them.

I do my research before I go buy tires. That way I arrive and tell them exactly what I want, no flavor of the month for me. I have bought a number of tires from America's/Discount because they have a wide network and if I have a flat (has happened more than once) they repair it at no charge.

Did a little more research and I think you might want to consider the Continental True Contacts. They seem to have a better tread pattern for light snow. They were also tested by the Tire Rack and did well in all around driving including winter.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=236

Again, I am assuming you just do normal driving and don't do any off road or sustained high speed (over 100 mph) driving.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 12-29-2019 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-29-2019, 11:24 PM

[quote=Vic Romano;56972366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypeach View Post

Funny, I just remembered I have Continental Control Contact Sport A/S tires on my wagon. Although they are all-season, I wanted a good all around tire and didn't really plan to do much snow driving on these tires. Plus I do some occasional aggressive driving. But I have had no problems with them.

Did a little more research and I think you might want to consider the Continental True Contacts. They seem to have a better tread pattern for light snow. They were also tested by the Tire Rack and did well in all around driving including winter.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=236

Again, I am assuming you just do normal driving and don't do any off road or sustained high speed (over 100 mph) driving.
That's good to know that you have these tires. The ones at Discount Tire are the Control Contact Tour A/S. How did they do for you in snow?

I pretty much have highway and street driving. No off road or anything above 70-75 for speed.

Here is what I found on this forum for difference between Control Contacts and True Contacts. Someone mentioned that they are pretty much identical but Control Contacts are a little bit quieter.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...rolContact_Tou

Old 12-29-2019, 11:30 PM

[quote=cherrypeach;56972388]
Quote:

That's good to know that you have these tires. The ones at Discount Tire are the Control Contact Tour A/S. How did they do for you in snow?

I pretty much have highway and street driving. No off road or anything above 70-75 for speed.

Here is what I found on this forum for difference between Control Contacts and True Contacts. Someone mentioned that they are pretty much identical but Control Contacts are a little bit quieter.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...rolContact_Tou
My one hesitation is that on Continental's own website several people mentioned tire wear problems with the Control Contact tires. That's why I would lean towards the True Contact...

https://www.continentaltire.com/prod...r-18560r15-84t

To be honest, I don't know if many tires really last 80k miles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive