Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 08:23 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I always hear it from people who just bought a car. I also promised this to myself when I bought a car 5 years ago but I can't imagine myself driving the same car in 2025.

I'm tempting to buy a Tesla Model X next year and keep it for 10 years

Did you promise that to yourself when you bought your car? Did you keep your promise, why and why not?

Oh, yes! I said I wanted a car that ten years from now, I still would be driving.

It's 16 years now and I am still driving the Forester. On a related note, it's big brother, the F-250? 7 years and still going strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,435,284 times
I have Car Pro radio program on Saturday mornings. It's obvious a lot of people just like buying new cars.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:04 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would keep a car for ten years except out of economic necessity. There's been significant improvements in safety, performance, and emissions that these folks are missing out on. In fact, one could make the argument that driving an older car is irresponsible due to an older car's negative impact on the environment and the fact that it's lack of safety features (collision avoidance, etc.) places others in danger.
I remember so many more people getting killed in car wrecks in the early 2000's...actually, wait, no I don't.

And emissions? Do you really think that the net environmental impact of a brand new car (Remember all the emissions and metals and chemicals used to make the car) are going to outstrip the relatively minute emissions gains WRT what comes out the tailpipe of an early 21st century car vs a brand new one.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:12 AM

1,847 posts, read 834,132 times
With my first car I didn't promise myself that I'd keep it for 10 years. I know I was going to keep it until the repair cost greatly exceed the value. A texting and driving person ended that possibility a couple of years short.
With the current car I told myself at least 7-8 years preferable 10+. 5 years so far, but the temptations are growing.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Why is that so crazy? I only ever had one new car...my exhusband picked it out . It was a Ford Contour. It dropped dead on the side of the road and I walked away from that turd and never looked back. It may have been 10 years old but I doubt it.

Since all my other cars have been used, driving a 10 year old car is nothing to me. I'd keep them as long as they'd last, but to get to 10 years is indeed difficult! My last two cars were totaled through no fault of my own.

Currently driving a 2010 Prius with just over 200K miles on it.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,722 times
Default Talk to someone who has owned a car you are interested in and get their long term experience if you can..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
The trick is to buy a proven model that is known to last and not become a money pit after 4 or 5 years

Talk to someone who has owned a car you are interested in and get their long term experience if you can..

My car is a 2004 Corolla 5 speed. At a gas stop yesterday my wife AKA (the navigator) informed me that the car did 40 mpg on a road trip (all highway). Clutch still original at 244,000 and uses 8 ounces of oil between 3,000 oil changes. Drive safe out there.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When I bought my truck I had planned on keeping it for 10 years but here we are at 18 but the truck is rusting away on me. The Northeast is a killer on frames. ... .

I really like my truck and to replace it option for option is today pushing $65,000 which is a really stupid price to pay for something that will depreciate to nothing or rust out before then.

I hate car payments.
Just fetch a used one from the SW USA, or left coast.

El Paso and Las Cruces NM is a pretty inexpensive, rust free used truck market. I have bought some from Tuscon as well.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
The oldest vehicle in my fleet is my Lexus GX470 at 17 years old. It just had it's yearly inspection at the dealership and all they could ding me for was the engine filter. Didn't even need a oil change.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:44 PM

25,576 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I always hear it from people who just bought a car. I also promised this to myself when I bought a car 5 years ago but I can't imagine myself driving the same car in 2025.

I'm tempting to buy a Tesla Model X next year and keep it for 10 years

Did you promise that to yourself when you bought your car? Did you keep your promise, why and why not?
Sure. Still driving my 90GMC and my 08 CR-V. 400,000 miles and 175,000 miles. Bought them both new

Old 02-19-2020, 06:37 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,559,982 times
I’m doing the 10+ year thing now. I’m sick and tired of buying cars every few years, and I’m a “car guy”. To keep mileage down, we have 3 instead of two and spread mileage amongst them. GTI is 5 years old now with 55k miles, MB E350 is 6 years old with 50k, and Toyota Highlander is 7 years with 125k miles. Toyota is getting replaced next year, and we’ve decided to buy something nice and expensive to replace it. Went to the 3 car route in 2017 when the Toyota was already at 90k and the GTI was at 35k. Since we’re able to spread mileage, and given our age and age of kids now, think we’re going to replace it with a new MB GLS or the like - a car my wife will “love” instead of “like” and will make fixing it more appealing than replacing it.

For me, key to long term ownership is fighting off the boredom factor. With an SUV, a luxury sedan, and a fun toy car, we can scratch nearly all itches as they come up. Each drives totally different. Get bored of little and zippy, go smooth and luxury for a week. Tired of sitting low to the ground, take the suv. Bad weather? Not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive