Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 08:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times

Advertisements

My Truck, aka: My Pride and Joy, will turn 15 years old on the 5th of May.

He (too homely to be a female) looks and performs as well as on the day I brought him home . . . WHY PART WITH HIM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,730 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
What a great ideal! Thumbs up for supporting them. Wish there was a program like that around me... I'd donate my commuter cars to them after I am done. Is there a link?
https://www.driveawayhunger.org/

It is very close to me, so I can usually 'limp' my beaters in, but they will come and fetch a valuable enough car.

I ship a lot of cars around the USA (buy unique models). Usually I 'Fly-Drive'.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,730 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
A block heater would be nice, but my landlord won't let me run an extension cord to the parking lot. As for the fuel, I do add 3 or 4 ounces of PS to each tank. Just to be on the safe side.
There once was a "Car Talk puzzle"... Why did the 'Cold Country' motel refuse to rent a lower level room to a particular traveling salesman ONLY during the winter? ...

(He drove a diesel Rabbit... Motel didn't want to power the block heater, and they could see if he draped his power cord over the railing. )

I used to get a room for 4 hrs in Casper and had to leave my freight truck running and go out every hour and switch the tank valve to keep the warm fuel circulating in different tanks. Occasionally she would gel up, so we would dose tank in gasoline (ick) and 'Torch it'. Made quite the flame for few minutes. Very impressive at 4 AM in a raging blizzard

Kids very old and tired Jetta got too cold in ski resort. I had to build a tent and take heaters to 'warm it up' before it would fire. TDI's I have no trouble. I fetched a used one from a Dr in MSP in January and drove 18 hrs home in a blizzard. (on a single tank of fuel).

BTW... Your TDI's might prefer a different fuel stabilizer than PS (has alcohol) Injection pumps hate that stuff.

I use Stanadyne, Red Line, or Amsoil fuel additives. You know when your TDI likes it... 6-8% mileage improvement! and really quick starts. Winter mileage in TDI can be poor 46 - 47mpg (boo hoo).

Old 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,420,936 times
For us a lower cost lease seems to work. We just look at it as an important business expense.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:32 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I always hear it from people who just bought a car. I also promised this to myself when I bought a car 5 years ago but I can't imagine myself driving the same car in 2025.

I'm tempting to buy a Tesla Model X next year and keep it for 10 years

Did you promise that to yourself when you bought your car? Did you keep your promise, why and why not?
I drive my cars into the ground. My last car was 5 years old when I bought it, and I kept it for 13 years (315,000 miles). I was sad to get rid of it and still miss it. I also though eat the same things all the time, and watch episodes of the Office I’ve seen a million times most nights. Some people like change, and some of us like the comfortable and familiar.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
I regret car hopping too much in the past. Longest I've had a car is 4 years 9 months. Some of that is due to not having the money for newer used cars before graduating college so I went from cheap to cheap with problems. Had current car about 3 years and the goal is to keep it 5 (it would then be 13 years old) before getting my first car after student loans are done and I could afford something that's close to new.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:05 AM

327 posts, read 456,863 times
My wife and I are driving a vehicle that's fifteen years old.
It's a 2005 Toyota RAV4.

It's needed a fair amount of work but the engine and transmission are still strong.

We will likely replace it this summer.
It's cramped and noisy and gets poor mileage and has terrible infotainment but gets the job done.

I am a car buff and I do enjoy the features new vehicles have, but I also really enjoy having paid off vehicles.
And, yes, you will spend a lot more maintaining an older vehicle, but it's generally not more than the equivalent of 2-3 car payments per year (at $500 per month car payment).

Old 02-14-2020, 07:30 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I always hear it from people who just bought a car. I also promised this to myself when I bought a car 5 years ago but I can't imagine myself driving the same car in 2025.

I'm tempting to buy a Tesla Model X next year and keep it for 10 years

Did you promise that to yourself when you bought your car? Did you keep your promise, why and why not?
I have kept every car I have bought, for 10 years or longer, except for the last one (which was my first used car). The ABS system started going out after 9 years, and I decided to go ahead and get a new(er) car.

I buy a car with the intention of driving it till it drops. Always have.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
One of my 2 vehicles is a 2002 with 61k miles - I'm keeping it. No problems.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:37 AM

723 posts, read 571,463 times
My 2006 Forester, which I bought new in 2006, only has 163,000 miles on it and still looks great and is going strong. I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

A household budget without a monthly car payment is a wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive