Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 10:57 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Who is he hauling the cars for? (Are these new cars coming from an OEM factory going to a dealer?) If dealers order cars they can't just refuse delivery of them......this situation intrigues me.....and I'm not sure what to make of that.
They can deliver vehicles any time of the day, I’ve seen them deliver when the dealer is closed. They unload vehicle park them on the dealer lots in the new delivery section. You’re friend is BS you because when a dealer orders vehicles they can’t just say no to a delivery. And when vehicles are picked up at a port they are staged in lots offsite of the ports they are not going to go straight to the dealers. You know how many vehicles are on a auto transport ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
They can deliver vehicles any time of the day, I’ve seen them deliver when the dealer is closed. They unload vehicle park them on the dealer lots in the new delivery section. You’re friend is BS you because when a dealer orders vehicles they can’t just say no to a delivery. And when vehicles are picked up at a port they are staged in lots offsite of the ports they are not going to go straight to the dealers. You know how many vehicles are on a auto transport ship.
The "deliver at any time of the day" thing is easier said than done. As the previous poster mentioned they sometimes deliver them STI (subject to inspection) which is supposed to be the key word to allow the dealer an extra 24-48 hours to report transport damage. Problem is, many OEM's and transporters are pushing back HARD on STI "inspections" and subsequent damage so many dealers end up spending tons of time and energy trying to get paid for these issues, if they get paid at all. It's MUCH easier to get the claims processed if noted on the original check-in sheet. Given that, many dealers refuse to do STI inspections anymore and tell the carriers they must show up when an authorized check-in person is present.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane33 View Post
I see a lot of desperate dealers (and I understand why), so maybe we can collect the best deals you have got, either a final deal, or a car that you actually bought.

The best deals i have seen so far is 84 months for 0% APR (but then the final car price might be higher than usual). Actually 84 months is not a bad thing with 0% interest since the last years worth of payments will be less worth than they are today, due to inflation.

Bring out your best deals/offers.
So far, I've tried to buy some older pre-owned vehicles that I know for a fact have sat on three separate lots for 2 months and counting. Dealer's response in each case "prices are firm" / "prices as marked" / "all prices final".

You can't bluff and say you've "got 3 people coming to look at it today" - that has less and less meaning the longer the vehicle sits.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:33 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
My hub gets his cars from the port in North Jersey, delivers them to the dealers. As I said, right now he's had one refuse him in person with another saying over the phone that they're not taking cars because NJ's non essential businesses are shut down.

I don't know where you're seeing them drop cars at night but that's getting rarer as I said before for reasons that have been stated

Old 03-24-2020, 12:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My hub gets his cars from the port in North Jersey, delivers them to the dealers. As I said, right now he's had one refuse him in person with another saying over the phone that they're not taking cars because NJ's non essential businesses are shut down.

I don't know where you're seeing them drop cars at night but that's getting rarer as I said before for reasons that have been stated

Places like this all around metro Detroit area.

https://www.autonews.com/sales/near-...-pinch-dealers

Old 03-25-2020, 05:12 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
I think the Government is going to answer the car delivery question for us. Last evening, I saw a TV commercial aired by one of the local car dealers, and they stated that while the service and parts departments were deemed "necessary businesses", and will remain open, the sales department will not. Later on, I was checking my e-mails, one last time, and I received one from the Dodge/Jeep dealership that I bought my Jeep from. They said the same thing.

So, if you can't sell any new cars, there won't be a need for more to be delivered. For me, this brings up an interesting question. We, a week and a half ago, picked up a new car for my wife. Since the dealer didn't carry a large inventory, and didn't have exactly what we wanted in stock, we special ordered one and at the time, they said it would take 12-14 weeks to come in. No big deal.

As it turned out, it arrived in 11 weeks, so it was transported, as usual, to the dealer. However, had it taken the predicted 14 weeks to make it through the "pipeline", I wonder if it would have been left sitting in a storage area, at the docks, for some unknown length of time......

Old 03-29-2020, 08:31 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
it's like everyone's gone all "korean car company sale" with their inventory. haha.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 PM

155 posts, read 205,118 times
Quote:
Why would anyone go vehicle shopping with what’s going on.
Im looking but not sure if I want get a 5.0 manual mustang with incentives and 0% interest

Old 04-02-2020, 04:47 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
Im looking but not sure if I want get a 5.0 manual mustang with incentives and 0% interest
A used C6 is much better. I sold my 5.0 and went back to a 2013 C6.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:17 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
Ford plays games with their rebates. 0% forces you to give up cash rebates (which looks like over $4000 on mustangs) and Ford is doing 0% on new 2019 Mustangs only right now, 2020s excluded.

I bought an F150 a few months back and the 10K off sticker was worth way more than the 0%

40K truck @ 0%/84 = $476 month

taking the rebate:
30K loan (same truck) @ 4%/60 = $552 (note 2 years LESS payments)
go to 72 months..........................$469 ($7 a month less and still 1 year less payments vs 0%)

Car loans are simply math folks, you aren't getting anything for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive