Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 11:38 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,328,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Of course it does. Shifting makes you involve yourself in the driving experience, which in turn makes you more aware of everything. It's like a musician saying he or she is more aware when playing a song live than just listening to a digital recording of it.

BS

Sorry, I've driven the same cars back to back on the track and on the road, with both manuals and automatics, for decades, and can tell you that shifting has zero bearing on whether I'm aware of traffic around me, pedestrians, obstacles, etc. On the track, my awareness of the racing line informs my shifting, not the other way around. And whether I'm driving an automatic or a manual, I'm still aware of the racing line in exactly the same way.

If you think that shifting is the sum total of driving, put a shifter on your la-z-boy at home and see how far down the road you get. And see how much fun you have. Remember, that's the argument: shifting is the only part of driving that's fun and the only part that makes you a driver. So pushing a clutch pedal and shifting a shift lever attached to your easy chair should give you all the fun and ability of driving. If it doesn't then ask yourself why not.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:31 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,357,096 times
Quote:
Of course it does. Shifting makes you involve yourself in the driving experience, which in turn makes you more aware of everything. It's like a musician saying he or she is more aware when playing a song live than just listening to a digital recording of it.
This is either perception or represents your lack of capacity to be involved and aware of what is around you. It's not universal, or even general.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IMO, I think if carmakers would start making manual gearbox’s an option we would see more on the road.
Automatic gearbox’s used to be an option like a trim package it costs more money to get one. Go spec out a car that has an option to get an automatic and see the price go up. These days they just add it to the cost of buying a car, more money for the carmakers.
AT&T used to order all their trucks without air conditioning until (Ford, International) started charging them MORE to exclude it. (Thanks, Ford! I'm nice and cool now!)

Old 04-20-2020, 01:49 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
This is either perception or represents your lack of capacity to be involved and aware of what is around you. It's not universal, or even general.
I see both sides of it. You are physically less able to text or rummage or futz around. That said I don't think it requires the level of attentiveness and mindfulness that some stickshift advocates claim.

My old driver's ed teacher said "it's going to make it harder to talk on a cell phone or eat or dig for your CD's (early 2000's), but it's more likely that you're going to make like Michael Schumacher and push the car." That was in reference to teenagers specifically but I think its true.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:43 PM

10,353 posts, read 8,581,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IMO, I think if carmakers would start making manual gearbox’s an option we would see more on the road.
Automatic gearbox’s used to be an option like a trim package it costs more money to get one. Go spec out a car that has an option to get an automatic and see the price go up. These days they just add it to the cost of buying a car, more money for the carmakers.
Doubtful. It would cost auto mfg even more if they had to produce both manual and auto.
If they are in so much demand, the mfg would make them.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:48 PM

10,353 posts, read 8,581,497 times
Quote:
No , if anything it's one more thing to think about and do which distracts you from driving. You know like watching traffic, being aware of your surroundings. Or on a race course watching the other cars, picking your line.
Maybe you should tell all the big companies like Ferrari, Mclaren , lamborghini, porsche to put sticks in their race cars. I'm sure they would jump at this advice to make their drivers more aware and faster.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I see both sides of it. You are physically less able to text or rummage or futz around. That said I don't think it requires the level of attentiveness and mindfulness that some stickshift advocates claim.

My old driver's ed teacher said "it's going to make it harder to talk on a cell phone or eat or dig for your CD's (early 2000's), but it's more likely that you're going to make like Michael Schumacher and push the car." That was in reference to teenagers specifically but I think its true.
Why are people automatically assuming that automatic drivers are all texting or fooling around in the car? We are focusing on the road like everyone else.

Remember that manuals have been decreasing for decades including the time before texting.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:40 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,357,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Your texting, rummaging, and futzing around driving is a behavior that you have to curb and is unrelated to what car you're driving. You're being reckless and that's on you.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:45 PM

6,360 posts, read 2,905,161 times
Automatics have gotten so much better over the years and bumper to bumper traffic has gotten worse. That makes getting an automatic a no-brainer for me. My last 2 cars had auto and got over 300,000 miles on each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive