Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 02:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
My evening routine is “plug in car, lock garage door”

We typically don’t drive enough in two or three days to need the 230+ miles we charge it to, but it is nice to have it at that level all the time.
my routine is always to plug it in when i get home. i even do it for short trips when i know ill be going out somewhere soon. but on work nights i pick up my kids 4 nights a week from their activities so if im messing around with my kids exiting the car there is a greater likelihood ill forget.

still love the car and im very happy i got it. just a reality of ownership.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my routine is always to plug it in when i get home. i even do it for short trips when i know ill be going out somewhere soon. but on work nights i pick up my kids 4 nights a week from their activities so if im messing around with my kids exiting the car there is a greater likelihood ill forget.

still love the car and im very happy i got it. just a reality of ownership.
Mine is plugged in anytime it's in my garage. Even just sitting there, if it's hot enough the thermal management will cycle on the compressor to cool the battery.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:23 PM

I watched this video somebody had linked to in the Bolt forum. Hopefully more shops like this will happen in the near future.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:34 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I watched this video somebody had linked to in the Bolt forum. Hopefully more shops like this will happen in the near future.

A problem I could see in this video is that nothing was said about how long the warranty for a rebuilt battery is. Maybe I missed it? The host did mention $5,000 for a "tear-down" battery repair.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A problem I could see in this video is that nothing was said about how long the warranty for a rebuilt battery is. Maybe I missed it? The host did mention $5,000 for a "tear-down" battery repair.
I don't know about Gruber, but with Greentec its either 18 or 36 months (unlimited miles) depending on how much you want to pay.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:23 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I agree. In this case we have lots of petroleum, including large national reserves. But the minerals needed to build batteries are mined mostly overseas. Do you think it makes any economic sense to switch from one non-renewable resource to another non-renewable resource that is not any more plentiful than the first?

Lest wait and see which one of the most powerful nations in the world switches its military from ICE to EV. I mean...EV is cheaper. Right?
Not really equivalent - Lithium is not really in short supply, it is one of the worlds most common elements. The US was the worlds largest producer of Lithium until fairly recently and has the 5th largest reserves. Currently the biggest producer is Australia.

A big difference between petroleum for ICE and Batteries for EV is that ICE vehicles use petroleum and need continuous supply because it is consumed, EVs need battery materials once and these can be recycled into new batteries. A non-renewable resource that doesn't get consumed will last much longer than one that does.

Military use has more to do with power than costs - military use is not really a gauge of which is better for normal use. How many commercial aircraft have afterburners (0). EVs still have a way to go for many military uses. Saying that, the largest and most powerful military vehicles are Nuclear, not ICE; Carriers and Submarines. Technically subs operate on battery so could be seen as EVs. The newest US Destroyers and UK Carriers are all electric drive also.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:56 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Mine is plugged in anytime it's in my garage. Even just sitting there, if it's hot enough the thermal management will cycle on the compressor to cool the battery.
I never need to plug mine in so far the two weeks i have had it. Maybe once a month at the most since i only drive 50 miles per week in heavy and slow traffic. So it puts back about as much power as i use with all the slow driving and stopping i do. I sure don't miss my modded 2021 Camaro. There was just no were i drove to enjoy it.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I never need to plug mine in so far the two weeks i have had it. Maybe once a month at the most since i only drive 50 miles per week in heavy and slow traffic. So it puts back about as much power as i use with all the slow driving and stopping i do. I sure don't miss my modded 2021 Camaro. There was just no were i drove to enjoy it.
Look in your manual, it recommends the car being plugged in while not being used in extreme temps to maximize battery life. When it gets into the upper 90s and your garage gets hot, the a/c will cycle on occasionally to chill the coolant in the battery. This function may be disabled while the car is unplugged and turned off.

Go to page 23
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf

Old 03-27-2021, 08:23 AM

611 posts, read 365,128 times
I mentioned this is the UPS thread, but this is quite a change from where the automakers were not long ago. I think the adoption will happen out of necessity and the fact that hybrid interest has grown to begin with for over a decade now.

Casual drivers won't mind. Performance minded drivers I know are already grumbling.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:42 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Look in your manual, it recommends the car being plugged in while not being used in extreme temps to maximize battery life. When it gets into the upper 90s and your garage gets hot, the a/c will cycle on occasionally to chill the coolant in the battery. This function may be disabled while the car is unplugged and turned off.

Go to page 23
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf
My garage stays at near a 100f for 7 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive