Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 01:36 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The Canada's Northern regions are the coldest and not very populated. The largest populations are found in the South East regions of Canada, closer to the border. Montreal is close to the border, and so Plattsburgh NY, and Burlington VT. While it gets very cold in the Southern regions of Canada and Northern US near the border, the cold temperatures are much colder in the Northern regions closer to Alaska.

In relation to the Canada's industries, what I like about Canadians in general is that they don't complain very much about the industry.

Right, most of the population is outside of the subarctic or arctic climate regions, just as it is with the US. Those are places pretty well suited for EVs even with the current technology (though not necessarily at current price points).

I do wonder though, for the places with subarctic and arctic climates like in much of Alaska, are plugs for engine block heaters very common? Do people usually have them in/around their homes? Do they have them in various parking lots or garages? If so, how much power can be drawn? It may be that these northern climates actually do have a fair bit of existing infrastructure they can leverage.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, most of the population is outside of the subarctic or arctic climate regions, just as it is with the US. Those are places pretty well suited for EVs even with the current technology (though not necessarily at current price points).

I do wonder though, for the places with subarctic and arctic climates like in much of Alaska, are plugs for engine block heaters very common? Do people usually have them in/around their homes? Do they have them in various parking lots or garages? If so, how much power can be drawn? It may be that these northern climates actually do have a fair bit of existing infrastructure they can leverage.
In Fairbanks and vicinity: The electric plugs at parking lots and homes, including apartment buildings, are available at the parking and other places. The Supermarkets, government buildings provide their employees with parking areas that have electrical outlets.

If very cold and one has to buy groceries (for example) at a local supermarket, what most people do is to keep the vehicle's motor running to keep the cab warm by the use of a "remote starter," since leaving the key in the ignition switch is not a good idea. The problem in most of Alaska is that electricity is quite expensive and limited. What most people do when parked at home is to plug the vehicle to an electric timer so that the block heater, battery blanket, and oil pan heater operate for a period of two to three hours before driving to work. In this case, I just start the motor using the remote near the end of the of the "timed" period. Vehicles that run on diesel fuel have to be plugged all day or all night, however.

By the way, I retired last year. I had to pay over $264.00 a year for parking at work. I can only assume that most of the cost for parking related to electrical use during the winter months.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-02-2021 at 03:37 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 11:15 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Only to replace dirty fossil fuel power stations. Not increase capacity. Balancing the grid is the key. Storing electricity.

https://www.theverge.com/21551342/au...an-big-battery
What a parrot. Again banging your head against a wall doesn't make it so.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:38 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
What a parrot. Again banging your head against a wall doesn't make it so.
But balancing the grid solves it. Did you understand the link?

Last edited by John-UK; 03-03-2021 at 04:25 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 03:42 AM

Quote:
In Fairbanks and vicinity:
If I lived in Alaska, the last thing I would want is oil near the place. That horrific oil spill was a salient reminder of the negative environmental impact of oil. Then the ice melting because of oil burning elsewhere.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ess-in-alaska/

Last edited by John-UK; 03-03-2021 at 04:23 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
That is Australia, not the US.
Same applies.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:25 AM

A new vid on solid state batteries, giving just the overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArsBX4RyOsw

Old 03-03-2021, 01:44 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:
Same applies.
Except no. Australia has 13% the population the United States does. Much less demand in infrastructure.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:46 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:
But balancing the grid solves it. Did you understand the link?
You would have to produce more electricity. No link will get around that reality.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
If I lived in Alaska, the last thing I would want is oil near the place. That horrific oil spill was a salient reminder of the negative environmental impact of oil. Then the ice melting because of oil burning elsewhere.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ess-in-alaska/
Stop being such a whiner. If the oil spill would have happened in the UK, then your entire country would have been covered with oil. But Alaska is at least 40 times larger the the UK.

By the way, the fishing industry in Bristol Bay is doing quite well these days:
https://iseralaska.org/static/legacy...onIndustry.pdf

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-04-2021 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive