Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which car company will go bankrupt (or bailed out) next?
GM 1 2.56%
Ford 2 5.13%
Stellantis 7 17.95%
Tesla 12 30.77%
Toyota 0 0%
Honda 0 0%
Subaru 0 0%
Mazda 1 2.56%
Hyundai / Kia 1 2.56%
VW 0 0%
Daimler / Mercedes 0 0%
BMW 1 2.56%
Volvo / Geely 1 2.56%
Jaguar / Land Rover / Tata Motors 3 7.69%
SAIC 0 0%
BYD 0 0%
Nio 1 2.56%
XPeng 1 2.56%
Rivian 0 0%
Lucid 3 7.69%
Aston Martin 0 0%
Nikola Motors 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 05:35 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,566,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Probably one of the companies founded since the late 2000s.

Is that a swipe at Stellantis? Maybe--the French and US governments have shown themselves to be pretty keen on bailing out their automakers, and Stellantis has ties to both and Italy to boot. I guess it's possible that Stellantis as an entity goes defunct, but parts of it get spun off. I mean, one of its most popular brands is Jeep and it was scavenged from AMC's carcass, wasn't it?

Jeep's been wholly or partially owned/entwined by something like a half dozen automakers right now. AMC (gone), then a portion of AMC by Renault, then Chrysler, then Chrysler's merger with Daimler-Benz, then the spin-off and later merger as part of Chrysler with Fiat, and now with Peugeot. Jeep's really been getting around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 05:44 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,236,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I asked this question a year ago:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...pt-bailed.html

And the year before that:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...-bankrupt.html

What's changed in the last year?

Well, big boost in valuations to the major electric vehicle producers, 10x in valuations to Tesla, Nio, etc... even little players getting bubbly valuations.

Also, big merger between FCA and Peugeot into Stellantis. Does that count as a buy out of FCA? Not sure.

Who's next?
You didn't have Chrysler on here and that's the company I would pick. I know they're owned by the Dutch company whose name I can't spell.

But it's still an American car company and it will still probably be kicked to the curb like it was with Daimler Benz

Old 03-10-2021, 08:16 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,031,025 times
He had Chrysler on there, even in the post you quoted. It's Stellantis.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:08 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,202,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is that a swipe at Stellantis? Maybe--the French and US governments have shown themselves to be pretty keen on bailing out their automakers, and Stellantis has ties to both and Italy to boot. I guess it's possible that Stellantis as an entity goes defunct, but parts of it get spun off. I mean, one of its most popular brands is Jeep and it was scavenged from AMC's carcass, wasn't it?

Jeep's been wholly or partially owned/entwined by something like a half dozen automakers right now. AMC (gone), then a portion of AMC by Renault, then Chrysler, then Chrysler's merger with Daimler-Benz, then the spin-off and later merger as part of Chrysler with Fiat, and now with Peugeot. Jeep's really been getting around.
No, I was thinking one of the Chinese startup companies.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
He had Chrysler on there, even in the post you quoted. It's Stellantis.
I didn't see Chrysler on. Stellantis isn't Chrysler, Chrysler is Chrysler. Stellantis simply owns Chrysler.

Stellantis could easily dump Chrysler and they go bankrupt and stellantis not go bankrupt.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:56 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times
Chrysler is now Stellantis and will not go BK like others on here think, man o man they just merged in January and people are writing them off already, lol i love all the automotive experts on here who really don’t know anything on how the automotive industry works. Stellantis Is now the fourth largest automaker in the world now and they are not going to dump the Chrysler badge,

History In The Making
The $52 billion deal that created Stellantis was finalized on January 16, creating the fourth-largest automaker in the world by volume. The new company, headquartered in Amsterdam, will have combined annual sales of about 8.1 million vehicles and annual profits of about $14.5 billion. The combined company sells vehicles in more than 130 countries and has plants in more than 30.
Stellantis does not need one unique culture, Tavares, says. He sees the company's diversity, with 400,000 employees representing 150 nationalities, as a strength and an asset to leverage. Tavares said the new company has $6.1 billion of synergies and will realize 80 percent within four years. The reduction in annual costs will be done without closing any plants—they will be made more efficient.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Chrysler is now Stellantis and will not go BK like others on here think, man o man they just merged in January and people are writing them off already, lol i love all the automotive experts on here who really don’t know anything on how the automotive industry works. Stellantis Is now the fourth largest automaker in the world now and they are not going to dump the Chrysler badge,

History In The Making
The $52 billion deal that created Stellantis was finalized on January 16, creating the fourth-largest automaker in the world by volume. The new company, headquartered in Amsterdam, will have combined annual sales of about 8.1 million vehicles and annual profits of about $14.5 billion. The combined company sells vehicles in more than 130 countries and has plants in more than 30.
Stellantis does not need one unique culture, Tavares, says. He sees the company's diversity, with 400,000 employees representing 150 nationalities, as a strength and an asset to leverage. Tavares said the new company has $6.1 billion of synergies and will realize 80 percent within four years. The reduction in annual costs will be done without closing any plants—they will be made more efficient.
Chrysler merged than unmerged before. To think that it can't happen again is to deny history.

Chrysler made terrible cars before they merged with anybody. Then they merged with Mercedes-Benz and made terrible ugly cars. Then they merged with Fiat and made even worse cars.

I don't think things will change for the better. I've never heard of this company that owns them now but maybe they do good business and the rest of the world.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Chrysler merged than unmerged before. To think that it can't happen again is to deny history.

Chrysler made terrible cars before they merged with anybody. Then they merged with Mercedes-Benz and made terrible ugly cars. Then they merged with Fiat and made even worse cars.

I don't think things will change for the better. I've never heard of this company that owns them now but maybe they do good business and the rest of the world.
FYI this is who Stellantis is, and they don’t own FCA it was a 50/50 merger. And the Daimler ownership was not a merger it was a takeover that took what they could and ran Chrysler into the ground. Fiat took over Chrysler when they went BK lik pe GM did during the 2008-2010 Great Recession, when other automakers were bailed out by their own countries also, Facing its first loss in nearly sixty years, Toyota sought loans from the Japanese government also.

Stellantis N.V. is a multinational automotive manufacturer with its headquarters in Amsterdam, the Netherlands,[10][11] which was formed by the 2021 merger of Italian-American company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and French company Groupe PSA on the basis of a 50-50 cross-border merger agreement.[10] The group has a wide portfolio of automotive brands: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS Automobiles, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Opel, Peugeot, Ram Trucks and Vauxhall Motors. The name Stellantis is exclusively used to identify the corporate entity, while group brand names and logos remain unchanged.[10]
The company has 400,000 employees, a presence in more than 130 countries with manufacturing facilities in 30 countries.[12] The group plans to have 39 electrified vehicles available by the end of 2021.[13]

Last edited by easy62; 03-11-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-11-2021, 08:50 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,031,025 times
Why is Stellantis so hard to understand? Chrysler is just a badge under Stellantis, like Chevy under GM.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Why is Stellantis so hard to understand? Chrysler is just a badge under Stellantis, like Chevy under GM.
I don't know why you're having trouble understanding it.

Chrysler was once a badge under Daimler Benz and it stopped being that and became something else. To think that that can't happen again is absurd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive